Thanks Thanks:  98
Likes Likes:  1,022

Thread: MRO Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MRO Thread

Seems you are allowed to concuss a player.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Seems you are allowed to concuss a player.
    I don't think you're allowed to 'concuss' a player but it was a marking contest...

Do I wish Lynch just jumped at the footy? No - but he was not going to mark it...I don't understand the angst. Keath was brave in going back with the flight but to be truthful it also wasn't super clever - HE wasn't going to mark it either. Crozier does this a lot as well - he sticks his head in spots where it is simply going to get knocked off for NO GOOD REASON.

If your oppo goes. You go. If he doesn't go...you STAY ON HIM (and stay goal side).

Back to the point at hand - Keath's man was nowhere to be seen. Keath wasn't going to mark the ball - ALL he could achieve was:

1/. Contacting a vulnerable Lynch and giving away a kick for front on contact.
    2/. Being hit hard by the Lynch/Jones combo coming the other way and knocked out of the game.

The second one happened which was worst case but pretty clearly foreseeable.

It would have been best (of course) if Jones had separated Lynch from the ball (and Keath) and allowed Keath the space to float back and take an uncontested mark - but two things got in the way:

1/. Keath was WAY too high as the kick came in and it was kicked over his head. That is the golden rule of being a spare - don't position yourself where the ball can get kicked over you.
    2/. Jones doesn't defend that way - he sits off/uses his speed/judgement to impact on the contest...all good BUT it does limit his ability to control his oppo and protect the drop zone.

I'm not a fan of Lynch or Richmond and this incident was a free-kick (high contact) but not a report. It's a MARKING CONTEST. I know everyone is going to quote the duty of care stuff at me but Keath HAD to expect contact in this situation and HAD to protect himself.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

3. Likes 1eyedog, Sedat, Dry Rot, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed. Keath would have benefitted the team more getting front and centre of that contest and having some trust in Jones. Hard decision to make for an intercept player though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Agreed. Keath would have benefitted the team more getting front and centre of that contest and having some trust in Jones. Hard decision to make for an intercept player though.
    I'm all for intercept marks. I would love to know how he was ever going to intercept that though?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

It's fascinating.

If you sped past a ground ball in dispute to concuss an opponent with a shoulder I think we all know what the consequences would be, but do it with an aerial ball and it's kosher.

Perhaps Naughton should start trying this on chumps who dare block his leading lanes.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

7. Likes bornadog, josie, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gary Rohan's strategy to get off at the tribunal tomorrow ...

Last edited by angelopetraglia; 12-04-2023 at 03:03 PM.

9. Likes bornadog, josie, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why isn't Lynch anywhere near the ball?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes josie, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Because he chose to pull out of the marking contest and bump. We were told that if you choose to bump, no matter the reasons and if even accidental, that you are responsible for your actions.

However, the AFL play by random rules. The same as the crazy decision to let Cripps off last year. We need to protect the head! We keep allowing players to get concussed by players choosing to bump.

13. Likes bornadog, josie, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    I don't think you're allowed to 'concuss' a player but it was a marking contest...

Do I wish Lynch just jumped at the footy? No - but he was not going to mark it...I don't understand the angst. Keath was brave in going back with the flight but to be truthful it also wasn't super clever - HE wasn't going to mark it either. Crozier does this a lot as well - he sticks his head in spots where it is simply going to get knocked off for NO GOOD REASON.

If your oppo goes. You go. If he doesn't go...you STAY ON HIM (and stay goal side).

Back to the point at hand - Keath's man was nowhere to be seen. Keath wasn't going to mark the ball - ALL he could achieve was:

1/. Contacting a vulnerable Lynch and giving away a kick for front on contact.
    2/. Being hit hard by the Lynch/Jones combo coming the other way and knocked out of the game.

The second one happened which was worst case but pretty clearly foreseeable.

It would have been best (of course) if Jones had separated Lynch from the ball (and Keath) and allowed Keath the space to float back and take an uncontested mark - but two things got in the way:

1/. Keath was WAY too high as the kick came in and it was kicked over his head. That is the golden rule of being a spare - don't position yourself where the ball can get kicked over you.
    2/. Jones doesn't defend that way - he sits off/uses his speed/judgement to impact on the contest...all good BUT it does limit his ability to control his oppo and protect the drop zone.

I'm not a fan of Lynch or Richmond and this incident was a free-kick (high contact) but not a report. It's a MARKING CONTEST. I know everyone is going to quote the duty of care stuff at me but Keath HAD to expect contact in this situation and HAD to protect himself.
    I think this is wrong simply because Lynch wasn't in the marking contest at the point of contact. He changed direction to hit Keath.

Whether Keath was in the wrong spot or not is irrelevant.
    "It's over. It's all over."

15. Likes Mantis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I think this is wrong simply because Lynch wasn't in the marking contest at the point of contact. He changed direction to hit Keath.

Post Thanks / Like

Why is Keath even there? It's the danger zone and he stuck his head into it.

Post Thanks / Like

You all want goals and the game to flow etc however when one of our defenders decides to mindlessly sag into the path of probably the one forward who actually stands up for the forwards club everyone cracks it.

Free the forwards!

Post Thanks / Like

What about 1 second before the point of contact.

Watch it in real time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Watch it in real time.
    Oh wow why haven't I thought of that yet.
    "It's over. It's all over."

21. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow why haven't I thought of that yet.
    You're an idiot watching it in slo-mo all the time.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.