Thanks Thanks:  98
Likes Likes:  1,022

Thread: MRO Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MRO Thread

Apparently Martin was careless.

He fisted Blakey in the face. Nowhere near the ball.

Bullshit that it's careless.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Hopefully someone who doesn't accept or excuse violence, or someone who isn't an apologist for bullshit acts.

Maynard didn't have to ball up and make it count. There were ways he could have protected himself without concussing his opponent.

He only had one thing on his mind when he missed that smother, and that was inflicting maximum impact.
    Can't agree. He went to smother the ball and he was in the air when the ball was kicked and as he was landing tried to avoid Brayshaw. The alternative was land on him with a full frontal.

Next players won't be able to go for a mark and put a knee in the back of a player.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes josie, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Can't agree. He went to smother the ball and he was in the air when the ball was kicked and as he was landing tried to avoid Brayshaw. The alternative was land on him with a full frontal.

Next players won't be able to go for a mark and put a knee in the back of a player.
    All he had to do was put his hands out.

5. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All he had to do was put his hands out.
    What's to say he did and knocked Brayshaw flat on his back and he knocked himself out.

I just think there was no intent to harm Brayshaw and it just happened as part of playing the game.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

7. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What's to say he did and knocked Brayshaw flat on his back and he knocked himself out.

I just think there was no intent to harm Brayshaw and it just happened as part of playing the game.
    Hahaha, well if that happened and he knocked himself out then Maynard wouldn't have anything to worry about.

Happy to leave it at that, and disagree. Maynard in my view wanted to make him earn it.

9. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha, well if that happened and he knocked himself out then Maynard wouldn't have anything to worry about.

Happy to leave it at that, and disagree. Maynard in my view wanted to make him earn it.
    Wrong word himself - should read knocked out anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it similar to the Cripps one?

My only question I guess is why did he leave the ground? Kind of an odd move.

I think he might be in strife considering the outcome. And current interpretations.

I wouldn't be bothered either way.

Maybe a week would be right. Deterrent enough. Although poor Brayshaw misses 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Wut?

They review the evidence and they can clearly see Maynard puts his hands out and tries to minimise contact vs Maynard tucks his arm in and collects him with his shoulder.

There was absolute intent. He had time to make a choice.
    "It's over. It's all over."

13. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Wut?

They review the evidence and they can clearly see Maynard puts his hands out and tries to minimise contact vs Maynard tucks his arm in and collects him with his shoulder.

Can't agree. Anyway see what the tribunal says

Post Thanks / Like

Can't agree. Anyway see what the tribunal says
    That's ok. You're allowed to be wrong.
    "It's over. It's all over."

16. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Wut?

Semantics, but the MRO's decision wasn't predicated on intent - it was graded as careless which is defined as "where his conduct is not
    intentional, but constitutes a breach of the duty of care owed by the Player to all other Players".

He'd have been looking at 4+ weeks if it was graded as intentional, so I think there's an acknowledgment that Maynard wasn't turning his body to hurt Brayshaw but in doing so it did put Brayshaw at risk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Semantics, but the MRO's decision wasn't predicated on intent - it was graded as careless which is defined as "where his conduct is not
    intentional, but constitutes a breach of the duty of care owed by the Player to all other Players".

He'd have been looking at 4+ weeks if it was graded as intentional, so I think there's an acknowledgment that Maynard wasn't turning his body to hurt Brayshaw but in doing so it did put Brayshaw at risk.
    There have been so many smother attempts over the years and only on this one miraculous occasion did the smotherer accidentally smash his shoulder into the kickers face and knock him out cold after he had already kicked it.

It can very easily be argued that Maynard's direct actions put Brayshaw at risk - he was knocked out for starters. This one has to go to the tribunal - the glowing character witnessing of Maynard and the victim blaming of Brayshaw since Thursday night has been quite unbelievable.

I like Maynard as a player but screw him and the filth if he is rubbed out for the rest of the season. I could care less.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

19. Likes jeemak, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It was a pretty unrealistic smother attempt too, he wasn't ever getting there.

Post Thanks / Like

I reckon Maynard's done for but happen to recall another player who was referred directly to the tribunal earlier this year for leaving his feet while turning his body in a contest and impacting the head of an opponent with a shoulder who was then subbed out concussed but was merrily sent home with no case to answer while successfully arguing 'duty of care' exists on a sliding scale amid some curious calls Keath basically brought this on himself.

Maybe the Pies should reach out to Richmond's legal counsel.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

22. Likes Grantysghost, bornadog, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's just take GG straight to the nets over that one.