Thanks Thanks:  98
Likes Likes:  1,022
Page 151 of 152 FirstFirst ... 51101141142143144145146147148149150151152 LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,265 of 2278

Thread: MRO Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MRO Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Confirmed they won't be appealing
    I think that's weak. If they didn't believe in the charge they shouldn't have laid it. If they do, they should be using every avenue to get the verdict they believe in.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

2. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I'm surprised any of the above is even being argued. Maynard is not Hannibal Lector but he was obviously careless - there are dozens of smother attempts in every single game, and yet this is the only one ever executed in the history of the game that has not only concussed a player, it rendered him unconscious for 2 minutes. It was a brutal hit and it was 100% the responsibility of Maynard. And now Brayshaw's entire career hangs in the balance, but because he had a couple of sleepless nights we are all suddenly supposed to feel great sympathy and pity for Maynard.

Good on the filth for getting their man off, but they are incredibly lucky (as is Maynard) and they know it.

I normally hate the hypothetical game but imagine if a douchebag like Steven May hit Nick Daicos in exactly the same way. Or dare I say it, if Toby Greene did. The good bloke defence is alive and well.
    I can’t buy into any “Toby G is unfairly maligned” narratives. Despite an already long rap sheet he escaped a suspension for the gouging, scratching etc and let’s not forget his boot to the head marking efforts weren’t penalised either.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

4. Likes josie, jeemak, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JanLorMill View Post
    2 wrongs don?t make a right.
    Off the top of my head. Lynch was 2004 though they lost, Long 2000. Danger tried in 2020.
    Making all finals a ?free hit? will just promote it
    But they're not a free hit. I just reckon you serve double time but in season.

Also one questionable example in 20 years would indicate that it isn't a thing.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    But they're not a free hit. I just reckon you serve double time but in season.

Also one questionable example in 20 years would indicate that it isn't a thing.
    Jan provided 3 examples in 22 years, why did you modify it down to 1 in 20? There are actually 2 in 19 in that list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I can?t buy into any ?Toby G is unfairly maligned? narratives. Despite an already long rap sheet he escaped a suspension for the gouging, scratching etc and let?s not forget his boot to the head marking efforts weren?t penalised either.
    Greene has been really lucky in some instances (Dahlhaus karate kick, Bont eye gouge) but ridiculously unlucky in others (the week after the Bont eye gouge where he missed a Prelim for fleeting contact to the face that was barely a quarter of what he did 7 days earlier, the glancing touch of the umpire in that final a few years ago where he copped a huge bag of weeks) - he's copped overs in these other instances because of who he is and not what he's done in those instances.

Had he done what Maynard did, and flown airborne to smother an oncoming ball and cannoned his shoulder into a players face knocking him unconscious for 2 minutes, I doubt very much he would be getting the "good bloke" get out of jail treatment. Nor would a Steven May douchebag type either for that matter. And if it was Nick Daicos knocked unconscious for 2 minutes as a direct result of an opposition smother attempt, I doubt very much that the feral unwashed filth fans, who haven't shut up since Thursday night, would have shown the same care and support for the person who knocked Daicos out.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

8. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And Chris Grant won the Brownlow voting, denied for far less.
    Fact is Maynard threw himself like a missile without care for Brayshaw.
    The AFL argued he threw himself like a flailing frisbee without regard for opponent.
    Last edited by BornInDroopSt'54; 13-09-2023 at 09:41 PM.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Greene has been really lucky in some instances (Dahlhaus karate kick, Bont eye gouge) but ridiculously unlucky in others (the week after the Bont eye gouge where he missed a Prelim for fleeting contact to the face that was barely a quarter of what he did 7 days earlier, the glancing touch of the umpire in that final a few years ago where he copped a huge bag of weeks) - he's copped overs in these other instances because of who he is and not what he's done in those instances.

Had he done what Maynard did, and flown airborne to smother an oncoming ball and cannoned his shoulder into a players face knocking him unconscious for 2 minutes, I doubt very much he would be getting the "good bloke" get out of jail treatment. Nor would a Steven May douchebag type either for that matter. And if it was Nick Daicos knocked unconscious for 2 minutes as a direct result of an opposition smother attempt, I doubt very much that the feral unwashed filth fans, who haven't shut up since Thursday night, would have shown the same care and support for the person who knocked Daicos out.
    It's actually hard to believe he got off. Well, it's the AFL so no, but fmd we convince ourselves we've got it right when your eyes say we've completely screwed the demon.

11. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This.
    Like Greene with Dahlhaus, Maynard is skilled and hard with his body.
    Both knew what they were doing, Greene deliberate and malicious, Maynard hard and careless resulting in knock to head and concussion to major player.
    That's ok says fools.
    I repeat Chris Grant's brownlow.
    Liam Picken suing I think.
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Jan provided 3 examples in 22 years, why did you modify it down to 1 in 20? There are actually 2 in 19 in that list.
    Yeah I'm happy to concede the 2 in 19 thing, although I still think 1 example in 18 years (of which wasn't an overly malicious or premeditated one) is pretty strong evidence that players aren't gonna suddenly become thugs because they can't miss the next final.

Regardless no one else seems interested in either of my two "solutions" so I'll move on.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a very un Bulldogs like opinion on Greene. Cant say I agree, his second eye gouge was as dumb as it gets when you consider he basically got a "just don't do it again" warning after Bont, and his attempt at umpire intimidation was worth every week he got.

As if the media, who is super invested in both the "Greene is the hardest done by of all players", and "Greene has completed his redemption arc", would not go in full defence Moe for him if he did the Maynard thing.

As for Collingwood fans being hypocrites, we know this. Look at the vitriol Henry has copped as simultaneously they cheered Bobby Hill for making a very similiar decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    This is a very un Bulldogs like opinion on Greene. Cant say I agree, his second eye gouge was as dumb as it gets when you consider he basically got a "just don't do it again" warning after Bont, and his attempt at umpire intimidation was worth every week he got.

As if the media, who is super invested in both the "Greene is the hardest done by of all players", and "Greene has completed his redemption arc", would not go in full defence Moe for him if he did the Maynard thing.

As for Collingwood fans being hypocrites, we know this. Look at the vitriol Henry has copped as simultaneously they cheered Bobby Hill for making a very similiar decision.
    If individual tribunal cases are supposedly judged on their merits (as we are always told), you can be both dumb and unlucky. Greene was both IMO - super dumb for doing something similar the week after the Bont incident but very unlucky that the contact threshold was considered enough (it wasn't/shouldn't have been, as has been proven on many occasions since with numerous players avoiding contact to the face suspensions, who unlike Greene were granted a far more generous threshold interpretation.

Also with regard to Greene, you can both dislike a player and also admire their football ability - I used to despise him a few years ago (when I cared more about the game), but these days it is his immense football ability and talent that speaks volumes, with the dirty stuff basically eliminated. So yes, there's an obvious redemption arc with Greene and frankly it is deserved - he most likely realised after the sledgehammer suspension he copped for umpire contact that he was a marked man and had to change his attitude, and he has become an amazing footballer and an elite leader of his club ever since (without losing that competitiveness to never lose a one-on-one contest, just removing the dog act stuff). There would not be a single Dogs supporter (if they are being honest) who wouldn't want Greene and his ultra-competitive attitude and elite talent wearing our jumper.

Back on Maynard/Collingwood, they might have won the battle but there are no winners out of this if Brayshaw's career ends prematurely (which is a real possibility). And if that happens, Maynard's carelessness has directly resulted in an elite player's career ending - no amount of back-slapping and good bloke defence will prevent that from entering his head constantly for the rest of his career.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

16. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Just trying to reconcile the claim Maynard's a "fake toughman" which is apparently confirmed by having his ribs caved in while fully exposed reaching for a high ball and needing a second to suck in some air?

Okey doke.

I see a bloke who cares deeply and plays like it and gee what I'd give for a few more of those in our colours, especially one with such immaculately gelled hair.
    It not just that. It?s also the pre game and out of play niggling, pushing, bumping he gets involved in. Nothing courageous about it. Now when he has actually hurt someone, he is crying ?it wasn?t me?

Post Thanks / Like

If Picket gets rubbed out for the bump on Cripps then he system is a farce.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    If Picket gets rubbed out for the bump on Cripps then he system is a farce.
    If he doesnt get rubbed out it's a farce. Leaves his feet. Chooses to bump with shoulder. Cripps has disposed of it already and bumps to the head area. That is the exact type of act that needs to be stamped out of the game.

20. Likes azabob, jazzadogs, Sedat, josie, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    If he doesnt get rubbed out it's a farce. Leaves his feet. Chooses to bump with shoulder. Cripps has disposed of it already and bumps to the head area. That is the exact type of act that needs to be stamped out of the game.
    He also gave Cripps a blood nose
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.