Thanks Thanks:  98
Likes Likes:  1,022
Page 22 of 152 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313272122 ... LastLast

Thread: MRO Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MRP Thread 2018

Yep, agree with Greystache and comrade. It doesn't excuse the incident in any way, and he gets 6-8 weeks, but I find it hard to accept that Gaff intended to do that sort of damage.

Greystache's comment that he'll struggle with this for the rest of his career rings true also, you could see how shocked and upset he was afterwards. Obviously it is nothing compared to what he has put Brayshaw through - but its a pretty big deal in the context of Gaff's career and public perception - and how he is eventually remembered as a player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Yep that was my first thought. He's played 175 games, never been suspended, never been fined, not even for wrestling. So to say it was out of character is an understatement. Physicality is not in his nature and often when people who it doesn't come naturally to try this sort of thing the result can be very messy.

I think he'll get 6 weeks with his clean record and he'll struggle with this for the rest of his career.
    That's a very fair assessment.

As bad as it is I see this as marginally ni quite as bad as Barry Hall's.

This will definitely haunt him and he'll have a late start to his season.

The best thing he can do now is plead up and throws himself on the mercy of the tribunal. Don't try and argue it down, wear it for what it is.

Post Thanks / Like

It was a clear swing at the most prominent area of the targets body, not a pushing motion at the upper body or neck area.

Sure he can be shocked and upset he did what he did, unfortunately for him it’s now part of his character.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I've just been tipped off that Gaff is about to receive the biggest penalty handed down to an AFL player. Apparently he can only be traded to StKilda or Carlton. Given his age that's about a 7 year penalty.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The MRO has virtually allowed deliberate punching for years - we are likely going to have a Brownlow Medallist (Tom Mitchell) who deliberately elbowed someone in the head this year. Ridiculous.

Gaff will get plenty of weeks and so he should, but outcome is ridiculously over-indexed in factoring MRO penalties and has been for years. The action should always be far more important that the outcome. If deliberate punches started at a base of 4 weeks (with no long term damage to the player) and went up from that base depending on the injury/impact to the other player, deliberate punching would almost immediately be eliminated.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

6. Likes Bulldog Joe, Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Anyone else reckon Gaff was just trying to do the standard, chest/shoulder punch to get back at the tagger and just completely stuffed it up?

Doesn't excuse him and he deserves a long holiday because if you swing, you're responsible for the outcome but I honestly don't think his intention was to K.O. him with a strike to the jaw.
    Yep I'm with you as well on this. It was more reckless out of frustration to break a soft tag but the tribunal will hit him with the full force of an intentional grading to the head.

It was a shocking look and a terrible outcome for Brayshaw.

I'm not with Whateley on this, more with David King's perspective.

6 - 7 weeks for mine for the severe outcome of a reckless action.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I've just been tipped off that Gaff is about to receive the biggest penalty handed down to an AFL player. Apparently he can only be traded to StKilda or Carlton. Given his age that's about a 7 year penalty.
    Or he will be let off this time, and free to play finals, if he agrees to go to the SUNS as a FA

Post Thanks / Like

As a society we are trying to make a stand against coward-punches, particularly amongst young men. AFL players are on the front foot with it, and WA hero Danny Green is spearheading it. Now Gaff does such an act with all the media watching and now reporting. The AFEL need to do their part to make an example of those who coward-punch, or risk undermining all the good work that people are doing.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Could be as high as 8 weeks but most likely 6. In my opinion the intention wasn't there but given the force of impact was significant he's in a lot of trouble.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    That is the definition of cruel and unusual punishment.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    The best thing he can do now is plead up and throws himself on the mercy of the tribunal. Don't try and argue it down, wear it for what it is.
    That will be the real test of his true original intent and one I don't think he can really fake. If you can see genuine remorse then I think it's hard to argue it was more than a reckless or poorly executed lash out. If the contrition is questionable then perhaps his intention was more sinister. Personally I think it'll be the former.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    No.

He's an elite AFL midfielder with outstanding reaction times and hand-eye coordination.
    AFL players do a fair bit of boxing training as well which is why quick punches (see Bugg on Mills) can do quite a bit of damage.
    I really don't think the 'accident' line holds much weight.
    I am with Comrade on this.

When you watch his fist it was turned more for the chest/shoulder hit than a punch to the jaw.

Because the AFL has tolerated body punches, you get this outcome when one goes wrong.

Gaff has never shown malicious intent. I do not believe he intended contact to the jaw, but must wear the consequences of his action.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

14. Likes AndrewP6, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I am with Comrade on this.

When you watch his fist it was turned more for the chest/shoulder hit than a punch to the jaw.

Because the AFL has tolerated body punches, you get this outcome when one goes wrong.

Gaff has never shown malicious intent. I do not believe he intended contact to the jaw, but must wear the consequences of his action.
    I agree with this. The way the punch was thrown was more like a punch to the chest. The punch was also initiated with Brayshaw upright but ended with him bent at the knees which meant contact was made to the head.

Not at all excusing the incident. He should still receive a hefty ban. But the Bugg incident was a lot worse IMO

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think we give these guys enough credit for their coordination and understanding exactly what they're doing when they commit these acts on the field.

What looks lightning quick on camera doesn't feel or seem that way in the moment.

Who round arms someone in the chest from front on anyway?
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I don't think we give these guys enough credit for their coordination and understanding exactly what they're doing when they commit these acts on the field.

What looks lightning quick on camera doesn't feel or seem that way in the moment.

Who round arms someone in the chest from front on anyway?
    Footy players when they know they are restricted in what they can and can't get away with.

I'm not defending the action though.