Thanks Thanks:  98
Likes Likes:  1,022
Page 24 of 152 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333474124 ... LastLast

Thread: MRO Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MRP Thread 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Why is 6-7 weeks ridiculous? He deserves plenty of weeks - nobody is dispiting that - but why 3 months or more? Apart from the outcome, what part of Gaff's action was any worse than Bugg (5 weeks) and Houli (2 weeks initially, lol thanks Waleed)?
    It's difficult to take such a drastic step now, though I think the AFL should review the severity of penalties in the off season.

Once again I fairly and squarely think this was an intentional swing at the face irrespective of motivation (and I appreciate others may not), and these sorts of acts should result in much harsher penalties than they currently receive. But, Whately is silly to suggest anything other than the norm should be given out for this particular incident.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes Happy Days, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    This is the whole problem with the MRO, MRP or whatever the useless thing is called. It's all outcome based which is missing the point. Intent is what needs to be stamped out. We are trying to punish players' bad intentions. Of course outcome is a consideration but too often we see heavier suspensions for accidents that resulted in injury than purposeful reckless acts that didn't result in injury
    Yep, and intentional punching has been allowed to go unchecked for many years and become an epidemic because the penalties were so pissweak.

Punish the action first and foremost, and then add weight to the penalty through the outcome. It's not rocket science but apparently it's too much for the AFL and their office of the executive to handle.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

4. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whateley this morning gets a guest on to discuss the truly absurd concept of a 12 month sanction for Gaff. Yep, very considered and thoughtful. Not even shock jock extraordinaire Kane Cornes, or everybody's favourite asshole Damian Barrett, would explore such ridiculous and over-the-top statements for the sake of some additional click-bait.

I hope those 2.1 ratings on SEN are worth it.
    So he is responsible for the opinions of guests of the show?
    He also had David King on yesterday, who was at the game, and argued a case more supportive/lenient towards Gaff. Is he responsible for King's comments as well as Bruns?

Given the historical parallels that have been drawn between this incident and the one with Leigh Matthews, Leigh's comments yesterday, and the discussion about police involvement - I don't think it is unreasonable to have Neville Bruns give his view on things. Its certainly no more or less appropriate than Lethal commenting about it.

I don't agree with the 12-month sanction suggestion, but clearly there are a range of views in the public about this, and a high level of interest in it as we will all be talking about this until Wednesday or beyond.

Post Thanks / Like

Why is 6-7 weeks ridiculous? He deserves plenty of weeks - nobody is dispiting that - but why 3 months or more? Apart from the outcome, what part of Gaff's action was any worse than Bugg (5 weeks) and Houli (2 weeks initially, lol thanks Waleed)?
    It's interesting isn't it. Not discounting the terrible injury to young Brayshaw but if you want to use the argument that society's standards has moved a long way since the Barry Hall incident then surely this is just as true with any reckless hit to the head which can bring about brain trauma, such as with Bugg's or Houli's actions which didn't reach the fever pitch that this latest incident has received, being championed so incessantly by Whateley.

I don't believe that the AFL, and the commentary around it, is yet to appreciate that the damage to Brayshaw, as bad as it is, may be less significant in the long term to the potential brain trauma inflicted on Callum Mills or Jed Lamb or more lately with Cameron's elbow to the head of a concussed Harris Andrews.

At the very least can we start at least to be consistent in penalising hits to the head where brain trauma inflicted sits up there, if not higher, than that of blood and broken bones.

And to the AFL, please get serious about stamping out the influx of body punches, rather than handing out these measly 1k fines as discouragement, which in my view played a part in Gaff recklessly throwing a punch more likely intended to hit Brayshaw in the upper chest region.

I'm sitting in the 6 - 8 week camp based purely on precedent where reckless blows to the head, causing what should be classified as severe impact, have been previously assessed. With that said, I'm all for lifting this standard to something beyond 12 weeks but only after the AFL restarts the expectation without making one player the scapegoat for HQ sleeping at the wheel on this matter for too long.

7. Likes Topdog, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Shannon Grant got community service for assaulting a woman, so society standards can't have moved that far.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

9. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Shannon Grant got community service for assaulting a woman, so society standards can't have moved that far.
    If the judges in this state are supposed to represent community standards then we'll see Gaff coddled and perhaps rewarded for his actions with zero weeks suspension. Especially if he was on drugs at the time or had a rough upbringing

Post Thanks / Like

Need a sad like button.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, and intentional punching has been allowed to go unchecked for many years and become an epidemic because the penalties were so pissweak.

Punish the action first and foremost, and then add weight to the penalty through the outcome. It's not rocket science but apparently it's too much for the AFL and their office of the executive to handle.
    They also need to remove the leniency afforded to "Elite Players" that somehow has had the following results

Joel Selwood exonerated despite deliberatey jumping on Sam Mitchell with an elbow to the head in 2017
    Tom Mitchell fined only for an elbow to Todd Goldstein in 2018
    Chris Judd exonerated for a swinging elbow that broke the nose of Pavlich in 2009 (allowing a Brownlow to Judd)

Those just come to mind easily, but Jack Redpath, Lachie Hunter and Zaine Cordy have all been suspended for comparatively minor pushes.

You don't set a standard by allowing the top echelon to escape penalty when others are not given the same latitude.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

13. Likes bulldogsthru&thru, bornadog, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    They also need to remove the leniency afforded to "Elite Players" that somehow has had the following results

Joel Selwood exonerated despite deliberatey jumping on Sam Mitchell with an elbow to the head in 2017
    Tom Mitchell fined only for an elbow to Todd Goldstein in 2018
    Chris Judd exonerated for a swinging elbow that broke the nose of Pavlich in 2009 (allowing a Brownlow to Judd)

Those just come to mind easily, but Jack Redpath, Lachie Hunter and Zaine Cordy have all been suspended for comparatively minor pushes.

You don't set a standard by allowing the top echelon to escape penalty when others are not given the same latitude.
    You can add the ridiculous suspension of Wood to the Doggies players suspended for a love tap.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He assaulted her on 3 separate occasions no less. But Whateley is too busy inciting click-bait from the Gaff incident to notice. He's gone full Bolt mode - hope he wears the shock jock label with pride.

Maybe he can also tell us for the 1000th time what a wonderful job Steve Hocking and the competition committee (which he is a part of) are doing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    So he is responsible for the opinions of guests of the show?
    He also had David King on yesterday, who was at the game, and argued a case more supportive/lenient towards Gaff. Is he responsible for King's comments as well as Bruns?
    He is 100% responsible for enabling these wildly distored views and giving them unwarranted oxygen and airtime. As for Kingy, he is a daily presence on SEN and an employee of the network - completely different from the Bruns interview.

Whateley knows EXACTLY what he's doing with such idiotic hot takes. Incite nuffies and create incessant controversy. The solemn voice is hiding nothing - he is a total sham and a bonafide shock jock now.
    Last edited by Sedat; 07-08-2018 at 09:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunate quote of the night...

Grace: "My submission is you should impose a penalty at the lower end of the range, which commences at three years..."

"... I mean three weeks."
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

18. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To put Gaff into some sort of context...

Bugg got 6 weeks - deserved 6 weeks
    Hall got 7 weeks (reduced from 10 weeks with 25% discount for pleading guilty) - deserved 10 weeks
    Leigh Matthews got 4 weeks - deserved 10 weeks

Gaff falls between Bugg and Matthews - deserves 8-10 weeks IMHO. Getting a longer suspension than Hall doesn't sit well though, as Gaff had a clean record over a long career, where as Hall was a proven thug with multiple suspensions.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

8 weeks for Gaff
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Fair result. It was a body punch gone horribly wrong but if you take a swing, you deal with the consequences.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.