Thanks Thanks:  98
Likes Likes:  1,022
Page 25 of 152 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343575125 ... LastLast

Thread: MRO Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MRP Thread 2018

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Fair result. It was a body punch gone horribly wrong but if you take a swing, you deal with the consequences.
    I agree with what you are saying wholeheartedly, (and with what others have said on other WOOF forums) but why do we now punish the consequence and not the action. A couple of years ago the charter was two weeks for this and one week for that, downgraded by 25% because of your impeccable record etc. Now its more ... you fractured his jaw and displaced four teeth you can have this magical number that will appease both media and general public. I think this current AFL tribunal is too open to interpretation and coercion ... death by media.
    WOOF Member 422

2. Likes AndrewP6, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scraggers View Post
    I agree with what you are saying wholeheartedly, (and with what others have said on other WOOF forums) but why do we now punish the consequence and not the action. A couple of years ago the charter was two weeks for this and one week for that, downgraded by 25% because of your impeccable record etc. Now its more ... you fractured his jaw and displaced four teeth you can have this magical number that will appease both media and general public. I think this current AFL tribunal is too open to interpretation and coercion ... death by media.
    Yeah, it’s a curly one for sure. If he’d clipped Callan Ward’s cement jaw for example, we’re probably talking a few weeks and much less outrage.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

4. Likes Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    He is 100% responsible for enabling these wildly distored views and giving them unwarranted oxygen and airtime. As for Kingy, he is a daily presence on SEN and an employee of the network - completely different from the Bruns interview.

Whateley knows EXACTLY what he's doing with such idiotic hot takes. Incite nuffies and create incessant controversy. The solemn voice is hiding nothing - he is a total sham and a bonafide shock jock now.
    It’s your view that Bruns’ view is an idiotic hot take. Serious question, did you listen to the entire 19 minute interview, or did you just pick up the quotes reported online? As I said before, I don’t agree with Bruns’ assertion on the penalty - but his comment on the penalty was about 15 seconds out of the nearly 20 minute long interview - and the rest was the audience getting a unique perspective from someone who was significantly impacted by this sort of incident. The majority of the focus for the last few days has been on Gaff and what penalty he should get and whether he’s a good or bad person etc. Bruns and Staker being interviewed gives an insight into what Brayshaw may be experiencing now, and how it might effect him in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it’s a curly one for sure. If he’d clipped Callan Ward’s cement jaw for example, we’re probably talking a few weeks and much less outrage.
    What was it that Campbell Brown got for that sucker punch from behind on Ward when he was still with us? That was one of the dirtiest punches the game has seen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    It’s your view that Bruns’ view is an idiotic hot take. Serious question, did you listen to the entire 19 minute interview, or did you just pick up the quotes reported online? As I said before, I don’t agree with Bruns’ assertion on the penalty - but his comment on the penalty was about 15 seconds out of the nearly 20 minute long interview - and the rest was the audience getting a unique perspective from someone who was significantly impacted by this sort of incident. The majority of the focus for the last few days has been on Gaff and what penalty he should get and whether he’s a good or bad person etc. Bruns and Staker being interviewed gives an insight into what Brayshaw may be experiencing now, and how it might effect him in the future.
    Thankfully I only picked up the quotes online as I'm on holiday. Very glad to have missed the relentless 24/7 non-stop sensationalist coverage of this incident.

So Father Whateley stood up on his sermon and told his congregation that Gaff should have gotten a minimim 12 weeks for an action entirely comparable to a 5 week incidents in the very recent past, and then he brings on a guest who wants Whateley's already absurd 12 weeks to become 12 months. It is so ridiculous.

I hear he got 8 weeks, which is slightly harsh but in the ballpark of reasonable. Thankfully some sanity has prevailed where it matters.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry but I've seen all angles again on AFL 360 just now and that isn't a punch to the chest. It just isn't.

It's a swinging arm straight to the jaw, the footage from behind Brayshaw shows well and truly that it's aimed at nothing other than where it landed. He's looking exactly where his punch landed.

I hadn't seen this particular angle until now.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

9. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Thankfully I only picked up the quotes online as I'm on holiday. Very glad to have missed the relentless 24/7 non-stop sensationalist coverage of this incident.

So Father Whateley stood up on his sermon and told his congregation that Gaff should have gotten a minimim 12 weeks for an action entirely comparable to a 5 week incidents in the very recent past, and then he brings on a guest who wants Whateley's already absurd 12 weeks to become 12 months. It is so ridiculous.

I hear he got 8 weeks, which is slightly harsh but in the ballpark of reasonable. Thankfully some sanity has prevailed where it matters.
    Come on mate. The poster you're responding to isn't a dill.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Come on mate. The poster you're responding to isn't a dill.
    It's ok to have a disagreement with a fellow poster. Ozza and I are actually in agreement with the Gaff penalty but have differing opinions on the way that Whateley has articulated his position on this and other issues. I happen to find Whateley to be a self-serving wanker who is using his now high profile commercial positions to become an influencer of AFL messaging and policy, and Ozza has a contrary view of Whateley which is perfectly fine. Neither view is right or wrong. From my perspective as an example, Whateley does not dare question Jordan Lewis (an AFL360 colleague) breaking Patrick Cripps' jaw last year with a deliberate punch and getting 3 weeks but then he goes postal on Gaff for a similar action and (slightly lesser) outcome. He fails the credibility sniff test.

8 weeks is a very long penalty, more than Hall who had a long rap sheet. Gaff has been significantly punished and rightfully so - it was a dog act off the ball and had severe ramifications on an innocent victim. But now hopefully the AFL recognises that they have allowed punching to go virtually unpunished for far too long, and they bring in steps next season to properly punish the act of deliberate punching and not just focus on the outcome. One can only hope.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Of course it is Sedat.

I'm not the WOOF police mate, just pointing out that Ozza probably earned a more direct response than he received.

Post Thanks / Like

Which begs the question what is Zaine Cordy's knee made from!
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

14. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    What was it that Campbell Brown got for that sucker punch from behind on Ward when he was still with us? That was one of the dirtiest punches the game has seen.
    A plum commentating gig on channel 7 because he's a good bloke.
    "It's over. It's all over."

16. Likes Sedat, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    A plum commentating gig on channel 7 because he's a good bloke.
    Aye, just ask Steven May.

Having to cop this rock ape in front of a microphone galls me more than any other dipshit ex-player currently stinking up the footy media landscape, and it's a deep field.

And you'd reckon a prerequisite for gracing tv screens would mean introducing the bastard to a hair brush at some stage too, but nope, no worries Browny, just roll up with your best impression of a fresh turd rolled in pubes.

Signed, triggered.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Aye, just ask Steven May.

Having to cop this rock ape in front of a microphone galls me more than any other dipshit ex-player currently stinking up the footy media landscape, and it's a deep field.

And you'd reckon a prerequisite for gracing tv screens would mean introducing the bastard to a hair brush at some stage too, but nope, no worries Browny, just roll up with your best impression of a fresh turd rolled in pubes.

Signed, triggered.
    I feel you, but shit blokes getting looked after when their careers are done is one of the scourges of the cult of celebrity that surrounds AFL.
    "It's over. It's all over."

19. Likes Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Which begs the question what is Zaine Cordy's knee made from!
    Probably the same material as his fist, which is clearly stronger than muscle and bone:
    DDIe4MWVoAAbKKq.jpg
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Probably the same material as his fist, which is clearly stronger than muscle and bone:
    DDIe4MWVoAAbKKq.jpg
    Love that photo
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.