Thanks Thanks:  98
Likes Likes:  1,022
Page 3 of 152 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast

Thread: MRO Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MRP Thread 2018

Why am I not surprised by this.

The Melbourne players hands are on the ground ffs. Yeah her head hit the ground but obviously not hard enough for a concussion because she kept playing. I like how the article says he considered the medical report, what he considered if he could be bothered to even check if there even is one. There is nothing mentioned if the girl is even injured. Decisions like these are ruining the game.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

2. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    When's the last time someone in the men's game got suspended for a GF?
    The couple that come to mind are Jason Cloke and Anthony Rocca for 2002 and 2003. If there has been others more recent, then they've slipped my mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Not disagreeing - but to clarify the situation - Katie was given a reprimand, and had already received a reprimand in a previous match, which is the reason it resulted in a one match ban.
    Well the rules are ridiclous, ie too reprimands equal a one match ban. Each report should be dealt with individually. There is also a grey area in what is rough play, what is a sling tackle.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah right Gil...

Gillon McLachlan backs ban for Katie Brennan, insists there was no special treatment for Trent Cotchin

AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan has backed match review officer Michael Christian’s call to suspend Western Bulldogs captain Katie Brennan, and insists there was no special treatment for Tiger skipper Trent Cotchin last year.

In a moment of déj* vu between the men’s game and the women’s game, the two captains were both looked at closely for incidents on the eve of their respective grand finals.

Brennan had one reprimand from earlier in the AFLW season while Cotchin had two fines for offences from the men’s home and away season.

Cotchin’s bump on Dylan Shiel left the star Giant dazed and he was later ruled out of the preliminary final with concussion.

However, the inspirational Tiger was not booked by the MRP and went on to play in his club’s drought breaking premiership.

McLachlan backed both calls as being correct.

“They got to a different conclusion this time,” McLachlan said on AFL 360.

“They made that decision and they go one way or the other. Having the independent body that they had or (current match review officer) Michael Christian, you know who they are and their job is only to apply the rules as they see it.”

Brennan’s contact was assessed as rough conduct (careless with low impact to the head).

In the men’s game it would have attracted a $3000 fine given it was a second low-level offence.

Because AFL earnings dwarf those in the AFLW, fines are replaced by reprimands, with two in a season triggering a two-week ban that comes down to one with a guilty plea.

McLachlan said he expects Brennan to appeal the ban.

“I can see why she was (suspended). It is the second one from her,” he said.

“She is such a tremendous player. I think she will appeal and we will see what happens.”

The Western Bulldogs are widely expected to appeal the ban. The club must decide before 11am on Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Just because Gil says it doesn't make it true. Like most stupid people Gil's default to being caught out is to lie.

Of course we believe you Gil. Most wouldn't but the exact same situation in the two comp's being judged differently must be correct.

You *!*!*!*!ing idiot, HOW STUPID DO YOU THINK WE ARE?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think there is any chance the AFL are just wanting to be seen to be doing the 'right' thing? As in there will be no special treatment because it's a Grand Final, but in reality they really do want one of the games marquee players taking the field.

I'm hoping this is all for show and the appeal will just be a formality for Katie to get off. The AFL certainly have history in stage managing things.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Do you think there is any chance the AFL are just wanting to be seen to be doing the 'right' thing? As in there will be no special treatment because it's a Grand Final, but in reality they really do want one of the games marquee players taking the field.

I'm hoping this is all for show and the appeal will just be a formality for Katie to get off. The AFL certainly have history in stage managing things.
    Maybe if we were Essendon or Collingwood but we are the Bulldogs and the only time the AFL reduce the pressure of their boot on our neck is to get a better purchase and press down even harder.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Disappointing outcome. I'm not actually opposed to the 2/3 reprimands equals a 1 match ban, a bit like the yellow card accumulation in soccer I think it offers a lighter punishment for offences that does deal with repeat offenders. I do however think that players should be exempt from serving those punishments in finals. Instead the week suspension should carry over to the next home and away match, so in Brennans case round 1 next year.

I think this has multiple benefits:
    -The AFL can still be seen to be cracking down on incidental or careless actions
    -No player misses a final due to an action that wasn't malicious or even necessarily deliberate
    -The player still gets punished, just at a later date
    -Incidents worthy of an actual outright suspension still cause players to miss finals
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

“The guidelines say if you’re swung, driven or rotated into the ground with excessive force then it’s graded as a dangerous tackle and therefore rough conduct,” Christian said.
    I think what the tribunal needs to consider the above and deem if the tackle was rough conduct. Looking at the tackle, yes it was forceful, but there is a fine line of tackling a player. KB didn't drive the player into the ground and smack her head against the turf. I don't believe it was excessive force, as the Melbourne player got the free kick and continued to play on. Christian has this one wrong.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

11. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As expected:

AFLW: Dog skipper to challenge Grand Final ban

WESTERN Bulldogs skipper Katie Brennan will head to the Tribunal in a bid to overturn the one-game ban that would rule her out of Saturday's NAB AFL Women's Grand Final.

The Tribunal will sit from 5.30pm on Tuesday night.

Brennan was offered a one-match ban for rough conduct against Melbourne's Harriet Cordner after applying a sling tackle on the defender, where her arms were pinned and her head hit the ground. Cordner was paid a free kick and was able to take it.

The tackle on Cordner was assessed as careless conduct with low impact to the head.

Brennan flagged the Tribunal fight when she spoke on Monday, before match review officer Michael Christian handed out the suspension.

"I guess we would potentially try to challenge it because we have nothing to lose, in a way, to try and get back out there," she said.

"It was an accident and I apologised to Harriet."

On what it would mean to miss the Grand Final, Brennan said: "It would be absolutely devastating. What's done is done. On review, it was a really heated contest and [there were] an enormous amount of tackles out there. It was our game plan to apply a lot of pressure and it's what we pride ourselves on as forwards.

"It's something I can't control so I just prepare and get around the girls and treat the rest of the day as normal."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Disappointing outcome. I'm not actually opposed to the 2/3 reprimands equals a 1 match ban, a bit like the yellow card accumulation in soccer I think it offers a lighter punishment for offences that does deal with repeat offenders. I do however think that players should be exempt from serving those punishments in finals. Instead the week suspension should carry over to the next home and away match, so in Brennans case round 1 next year.

I think this has multiple benefits:
    -The AFL can still be seen to be cracking down on incidental or careless actions
    -No player misses a final due to an action that wasn't malicious or even necessarily deliberate
    -The player still gets punished, just at a later date
    -Incidents worthy of an actual outright suspension still cause players to miss finals
    That post contains too much logical reasoning to have any chance of being considered by a bureaucracy.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

This is another example of the farcical nature of the AFL's insistence on a "separation of powers" model for their allegedly independent tribunal.

How does having to defend yourself against the AFL, at an AFL endorsed body, with the HEAD OF THE AFL saying that you're guilty, make for any sense of impartiality?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

15. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    This is another example of the farcical nature of the AFL's insistence on a "separation of powers" model for their allegedly independent tribunal.

How does having to defend yourself against the AFL, at an AFL endorsed body, with the HEAD OF THE AFL saying that you're guilty, make for any sense of impartiality?
    Comrade 'Happy Days', you seem unsatisfied with our leadership. It seems you need to cool down somewhere. Perhaps a state paid train ride to Siberia will help? No it's no trouble. We insist.

17. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AFLW match review penalties are too harsh and if Katie Brennan were a man she’d be playing in Grand Final

IF Katie Brennan were a bloke playing AFL, she’d be free to play in Saturday’s Grand Final.

The AFLW tribunal guidelines are manifestly unfair, but is that a good enough argument to get KB off when she appeals her one-match ban tonight?

Brennan was rubbed out after two rough conduct charges, both careless and low impact.

Under AFL rules, a bloke would be fined $2000 with an early plea for the first one and $3000 for the second, with an early plea again.

And he would have been allowed to commit the same offence again and still avoid a ban. He would have been fined $5000 (early plea). But no missing a game, let alone a Grand Final.

Both the men’s and women’s punishment systems are designed to change behaviour, according to the AFL.

But I would argue the punishment for the women is too harsh.

Fines weren’t considered for the AFLW’s seven-week home and away competition because the players simply don’t get paid enough. A player’s entire season wage could be gobbled up for a clumsy tackle.

Surely a level of fines commensurate with their wages would be a better option.

Say, first offence $200. The second, bump it up to $800 — even a grand.

But to be rubbed out of a Grand Final is far too heavy. Especially when a bloke would only feel it in the hip pocket.

19. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Some good points in that article, especially about penalties.