Thanks Thanks:  98
Likes Likes:  1,022
Page 53 of 152 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354555657585960616263103 ... LastLast

Thread: MRO Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MRO Thread

Full credit to Nick Pane QC, the AFL's legal counsel.

His preparation for both the tribunal hearing and the appeal were meticulous and calculated.

He seemed to anticipate every move, every argument GWS would try and make and was ready for it. A complete contrast to Jack Gleeson's efforts last week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    Of course in court it is only taken into account for the purposes of sentencing. No mention is made of any record prior to establishing whether the accused is guilty or innocent for the charges being heard. .
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    But it's obviously the AFL's fault. And the judiciary for being so woefully out of tune with players who are just, lets be perfectly honest, are just pushing the edge.

After all if a couple of blokes walked up to you on the street and pushed you over, while one pins your arms on the ground and the other one gouges your eyes then you would understand that they are just pushing the envelope and playing for keeps wouldn't you? Nothing personal, it's just business mate.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

4. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hayes charged by MRO

Western Bulldogs midfielder Will Hayes has been offered a one-match sanction by the AFL Match Review Officer (MRO), for an incident in Saturday’s Marsh Community Series match in Whyalla.

The 24-year-old was charged with engaging in rough conduct against Port Adelaide’s Dan Houston during the first quarter.

His tackle was assessed by the MRO as careless conduct with medium impact and high contact.

Hayes can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea, which would see him miss the Bulldogs’ 2020 season-opener against Collingwood in a fortnight’s time.

Surely this is a joke.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It was a sling tackle, 1 week is fair enough.
    The curse is dead.

7. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Not when a hip and shoulder that knocks a bloke out is worth only two.

Usually this lottery of a system comes down to how injured someone gets. As far as I know there was no concussion/other injury received, so it should have only registered ‘Low impact’ not the medium it was graded at.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Yep, not unexpected

10. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post

Usually this lottery of a system comes down to how injured someone gets. As far as I know there was no concussion/other injury received, so it should have only registered ‘Low impact’ not the medium it was graded at.
    A free kick at best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Yep, not unexpected
    Was Dutton injured?

Post Thanks / Like

If it was done to one of our players I'd expect they got a week. Fair cop.

That sling tackles of a moderate nature are within spitting distance of KO'ing players like Richards is a seperate issue. I'm happy to keep the sling tackle like this at one week with a plea and to increase the suspension significantly on players causing a brain injury.

I finish where I start though, one week is fair.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

14. Likes chef, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    If it was done to one of our players I'd expect they got a week. Fair cop.

That sling tackles of a moderate nature are within spitting distance of KO'ing players like Richards is a seperate issue. I'm happy to keep the sling tackle like this at one week with a plea and to increase the suspension significantly on players causing a brain injury.

I finish where I start though, one week is fair.
    Was Dutton injured? Was he concussed?

When is a sling tackle dangerous?

Meanwhile, Melbourne’s Jack Viney has also been cleared of a sling tackle on Hawthorn defender Ben Stratton.“It was the view of the Match Review Officer that while this action constituted a dangerous tackle and was unreasonable in the circumstances, there was insufficient impact to constitute a reportable offence,” an AFL statement read.

There is a fine line

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post

Usually this lottery of a system comes down to how injured someone get
    s. As far as I know there was no concussion/other injury received, so it should have only registered ‘Low impact’ not the medium it was graded at.

Unless it's a bulldog player who stands accused. Then it's just a matter of how many weeks.

The MRO is becoming a bigger joke and crapshoot than ASADA is.

Post Thanks / Like

Was Dutton injured? Was he concussed?

There is a fine line
    It's not too controversial the way I see it, but I get you're frustrated with the MRO. For me, I hate sling tacklesand the huge risk they pose to vulnerable players. So if a few players have to cop a week here or there to see a change in player behaviour I'm ok with it. Just like tripping back in the day got the treatment. Dutton may not have been injured or concussed and it's lucky he wasn't or it could've been two or three weeks. Hopefully Hayes takes it on the chin, reviews the tapes about what (if any) other options he had and works on his technique. Just as long as he doesn't brush his hand near Phil Davis upper torso and be a thug like Jack Redpath.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

18. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When you commit one? It’s a dangerous act. I’m not litigating every past decision on sling tackles. I’m just saying I don’t think the result is unfair.

20. Likes chef, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    It's not too controversial the way I see it, but I get you're frustrated with the MRO. For me, I hate sling tacklesand the huge risk they pose to vulnerable players. So if a few players have to cop a week here or there to see a change in player behaviour I'm ok with it. Just like tripping back in the day got the treatment. Dutton may not have been injured or concussed and it's lucky he wasn't or it could've been two or three weeks. Hopefully Hayes takes it on the chin, reviews the tapes about what (if any) other options he had and works on his technique. Just as long as he doesn't brush his hand near Phil Davis upper torso and be a thug like Jack Redpath.

That would only work if Bulldog players didn't get suspended so often for minor offences that wouldn't even see a free kick paid against players from other teams. IE, our blokes are picked out so often I don't think other teams even notice unless we are playing them in the period of their suspension.