Thanks Thanks:  98
Likes Likes:  1,022
Page 7 of 152 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757107 ... LastLast

Thread: MRO Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MRP Thread 2018

The AFL actually just said something akin to "Men across the country are subjected to the same treatment". So either;

A. The highest level of women's football is akin to men's park competitions; or
    B. "No it's actually you WOMENS who are the sexist ones"

If I didn't know better I'd think the AFL have gotten the week of media coverage they wanted out of this, and are now taking a dive at the final hurdle to see the right outcome occur.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Appeal Dismissed - what do you expect from these douche bags at AFL HQ
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

So what's our plan now? Take an injunction out to stop the AFLW Grand Final being played on Saturday while we seek leave to appeal to the High Court?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Appeal Dismissed - what do you expect from these douche bags at AFL HQ
    Just read that on Fox Sports and the article mentioned she is out unless they take it to court. I wonder if they muscle up and do just that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    Just read that on Fox Sports and the article mentioned she is out unless they take it to court. I wonder if they muscle up and do just that.

I am glad we took this to the appeals board and didn't just lie back and take it like we have in the past.

I don't think it is worth going to court over, the AFL would *!*!*!*! us over even more in coming years.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that should be it.

A strongly worded statement is required, but the AFL will be lining up punishments for our actions to date as it stands so anything more would be counter productive.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope they let it lie now, and leave the rest of the players to push on without the further distraction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I think that should be it.

A strongly worded statement is required, but the AFL will be lining up punishments for our actions to date as it stands so anything more would be counter productive.
    THE Western Bulldogs say they will consider their legal options after AFLW captain Katie Brennan’s appeal to overturn a two-match suspension failed on Thursday evening.
    The Bulldogs’ case was dismissed on all four counts as the club put forward a case underlined by sexual discrimination. But the original two-match ban was upheld by the Appeals Board.

Bulldogs president Peter Gordon then told reporters the club will consider its legal options. Previously AFL clubs have gone to the Supreme Court in trying to free their players for Grand Finals.

The Sydney Swans did so for Andrew Dunkley in 1996, successfully delaying a tribunal hearing on a striking charge until after the Grand Final. Dunkley was later suspended for two games for striking James Hird.

Post Thanks / Like

The horse bolted after our utterly inept defence at the first tribunal hearing.

Agree with our approach tonight, and the rules as they stand are clearly discriminatory. But then what do you expect from an organisation as inept as the AFL.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Blimey that defence was Lionel Hutz like

Post Thanks / Like

What a sorry fiasco the handling of this case was. I am at a loss to understand the logic of how we approach some things at times.

Whether it be public relations, managing media narratives, or in this case a tribunal defense effectively consisting "carn, let her off", I'm at a loss to think how we could have people in important positions at the club that get together and think the approaches we've taken of late seem like a good idea. Scary stuff!
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

12. Likes Go_Dogs, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    What a sorry fiasco the handling of this case was. I am at a loss to understand the logic of how we approach some things at times.

Whether it be public relations, managing media narratives, or in this case a tribunal defense effectively consisting "carn, let her off", I'm at a loss to think how we could have people in important positions at the club that get together and think the approaches we've taken of late seem like a good idea. Scary stuff!
    Time for a career change.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post

Yep, our senior management from the top down has had a piss poor pre-season. They all need to lift their game.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Despite what posters may think, we did not go to the tribunal with a defence of Please let her play - that was a last minute plea.

We argued the tackle, we went through the whole action etc etc. and tried to argue it wasn't a sling tackle, the player was not hurt and played on and one arm was free to brace herself.

Do you think we are that dumb - get a grip people.

16. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes Doggy, Bulldog4life, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good decision I think. Let the team get on with winning the Grand Final but keep having a crack at the injustice perpetrated by the AFL.

Club statement: Katie Brennan

Three principles have been of paramount importance to Katie Brennan and the Western Bulldogs following the suspension of Katie by the AFL tribunal on Tuesday night:

to fight the injustice and inequality to women which afflicts the AFL rules;
    • to give the team the best possible chance of winning Saturday’s Grand final;
    • to do her best to make herself available to assist on field with pursuing that success.
    After the rejection of her appeal by the AFL Appeals Board on Thursday, Katie spent several hours with Club senior management discussing her options.

The AFL yesterday submitted to the Appeals Board that if Katie challenged the discriminatory nature of the AFLW rules, Katie should take that claim to an external court.

In preparation for this, Katie’s legal team served draft documents on the AFL for a Federal Court challenge to her suspension, and a separate challenge against the AFL to the Australian Human Rights Commission.

After lengthy consideration, Katie has decided that in the best interests of the team on Saturday it is best to resolve the matter by not seeking to pursue the Federal Court application.

She will not play in Saturday’s Grand Final but will instead strongly support the team tomorrow from the sidelines.

However, both she and the Club remain resolved to right the injustice and gender discrimination which is inherent to the current AFL Rules.

Accordingly, Katie has this morning filed proceedings with the Australian Human Rights Commission seeking to have her suspension overturned and for the AFL to amend the differences between the AFLW regulations and the AFL regulations to ensure that in future, other women players are not more likely to be suspended than men for identical conduct with identical disciplinary records.

To be clear, Katie is not seeking to play tomorrow. She wants her suspension overturned in time in the interests of justice, and the rules changed to make sure what happened to her does not happen to anyone else.

“I believe my tackle on Harriet Cordner was reasonable and I strongly disagree with the guilty finding,” Katie said.

“It is even more troubling to know that if I was a man playing in the AFL and was reported for the identical tackle, I would not have been suspended and I would be playing in a Grand final tomorrow.

“The fight for gender equality is as every bit as important to me as the Grand Final and the decisions I have made reflect both of those priorities.”

Club CEO Ameet Bains said: “We are immensely proud of Katie and stand by her. Our team will be doing its best to re-pay her faith in them tomorrow.

“We share Katie’s view that her suspension was wrong and we will fully support her challenging the AFL Rules on the basis of gender discrimination.”

18. Thanks Bulldog4life thanked for this post