Thanks Thanks:  98
Likes Likes:  1,022
Page 28 of 152 FirstFirst ... 18192021222324252627282930313233343536373878128 ... LastLast

Thread: MRO Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MRP Thread 2018

I don't think there is suddenly going to be an influx of these occurrences between now at the end of the season. And it isn't more dangerous than a knee.

Post Thanks / Like

Could they just hold off on a knee-jerk rule change until Greene gets force-fed a boot by a defender protecting his space please?

Then they can change it.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

3. Likes bornadog, Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I don't think there is suddenly going to be an influx of these occurrences between now at the end of the season. And it isn't more dangerous than a knee.
    Just depends how many weeks the Plastics last and therefore how much Greene is playing. He now does it instinctively.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Just depends how many weeks the Plastics last and therefore how much Greene is playing. He now does it instinctively.
    Remember the red marks on Toby Mclean's chest in the prelim - this is just outrageous that it is allowed. Compare that to Redpath's push on Diver Davis and the 3 weeks he got.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So you can put your studs up to protect space but cannot put your hands in someone's back to protect space?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    So you can put your studs up to protect space but cannot put your hands in someone's back to protect space?
    Under the current rules of a marking contest, yes. He only got a fine today because it was deemed in the incident with Newman that he made the contact BEFORE the ball arrived/was in the immediate area.

Its surprising that in 120 years of footy, that it is only coming up now as an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Under the current rules of a marking contest, yes. He only got a fine today because it was deemed in the incident with Newman that he made the contact BEFORE the ball arrived/was in the immediate area.

Its surprising that in 120 years of footy, that it is only coming up now as an issue.
    A once in a generation Grub. Aren't we lucky to see him in our lifetimes?

10. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if he practices the move or being a tool just comes naturally to him?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

12. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Remember the red marks on Toby Mclean's chest in the prelim - this is just outrageous that it is allowed. Compare that to Redpath's push on Diver Davis and the 3 weeks he got.
    Agree, it’s disgusting that it is allowed to happen.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    Agree, it’s disgusting that it is allowed to happen.
    Serious question....where do you draw the line on it? And how problematic will that be. We’ve seen on footy programs tonight video of some of Jarrad Waite’s ‘speckies’ where he puts the studs into the back and side of players. And there are times where players put there studs onto the shoulders or backs of players. Is it limited to studs in the front? Do they try and define what type of motion the player is moving/pushing there foot/leg towards the opponent?

I don’t think it is as straightforward to legislate on than you would initially think. Greene’s examples might all look bad - but what about other examples? And what is the most dangerous? If we are talking about dangerous - in many circumstances I’d prefer the studs to the knee. I’ve been knocked out by a knee to the head playing footy - I don’t think it should be outlawed - and it passes the eye test more than ‘studs up’, but I think there are some potentially problematic elements.

Post Thanks / Like

Serious question....where do you draw the line on it? And how problematic will that be. We’ve seen on footy programs tonight video of some of Jarrad Waite’s ‘speckies’ where he puts the studs into the back and side of players. And there are times where players put there studs onto the shoulders or backs of players. Is it limited to studs in the front? Do they try and define what type of motion the player is moving/pushing there foot/leg towards the opponent?

I don’t think it is as straightforward to legislate on than you would initially think. Greene’s examples might all look bad - but what about other examples? And what is the most dangerous? If we are talking about dangerous - in many circumstances I’d prefer the studs to the knee. I’ve been knocked out by a knee to the head playing footy - I don’t think it should be outlawed - and it passes the eye test more than ‘studs up’, but I think there are some potentially problematic elements.
    I'd be comfortable with knee only marks.

Post Thanks / Like

Anything with two motions should be penalised, just as they are with the hands/elbows. The Newman one on the weekend was a clear double motion.

Anything studs up in open play (such as with Dahl last year) is a free kick on the night, straight to the tribunal and multiple weeks. Still staggered that he escaped suspension for that 12 months ago.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

I agree it will be hard to legislate and if we have learnt anything its that the AFL make the easy look difficult so I am concerned that they will stuff it up badly.

But what Greene did is wrong, all of them are wrong. It's not in the spirit of the game and Waite was using his feet to climb on a player, Greene was using his feet to "protect his space" so different use cases

Post Thanks / Like

Mason Cox cops a week for a full frontal block off the ball and last week Liam jones punches a guy in the guts, again off the ball and receives a fine.

MRO really is a mess.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Jeezus they're a mob of amateurish turds.

To anyone with working eyes Grimes plainly hammed up the severity of the bump looking for an on-field advantage.

Cox is effectively the scapegoat for the AFEL MRP ballsing up their job from the round prior and suddenly needing to look competent.
    BORDERLINE FLYING