Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam Power appointed Dogs' new General Manager of List and Recruiting

Sam Power appointed Dogs' new General Manager of List and Recruiting

The Western Bulldogs have appointed Sam Power as its new General Manager of List and Recruiting.

In a new structure, Power will oversee the Club’s total list management strategy, including TPP management and compliance, player contracting, player acquisition and recruiting.

He will arrive at Victoria University Whitten Oval in the New Year having spent the last four seasons at the Carlton Football Club, where he undertook a number of roles in the areas of company secretary, football operations, player talent ID, governance and compliance, total player payments and risk management.

Prior to his time at Carlton, Power practiced law at Clayton Utz.

“We’re thrilled to welcome Sam to the Western Bulldogs, and we’re excited about the impact he can make to this important position within our football program,” said Bulldogs’ Director of Football, Chris Grant.

“Sam brings a wealth of knowledge and a diverse skill set in a number of important areas which we see as crucial to the success of our list management and recruiting.

“As we continue to aspire to be ahead of the game within all areas of our business, Sam’s background in football, his knowledge of football department practices and experience in the corporate world made him an ideal candidate.”

Power played 84 games with the Bulldogs between 2002 and 2007, after being selected at pick 10 in the 2001 NAB AFL National Draft.

He added a further 39 games after being traded to North Melbourne at end of the 2007 season, before spending two seasons with VFL club Coburg, where he won back-to-back Best and Fairest awards.

“I’m grateful for the opportunity to join the Western Bulldogs in this new role, where I’ll have the chance to work with a young and exciting playing list,” Power said.

“It’s great to be able to return to the Club where I spent six years as a player, and I’m eager to work with the list and recruiting team to help the Bulldogs achieve more success.

“I’d like to thank the Carlton Football Club for their support over the last four years, which allowed me to enhance the skills that I will utilise at the Bulldogs.”

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sam Power appointed Dogs' new General Manager of List and Recruiting

The surgeon returns... Wow!

4. Likes Raw Toast, Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

84 games with us. Can we also count the games in his new role towards the F/S qualification?

There's serious talent in those Power genes.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    The surgeon returns... Wow!

It's ironic that in the photo in the OP he has the ball in his hands and he is looking down the ground. Not sideways.

7. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As a player Sam seemed to lack the confidence, but he did play some good footy.

Hopefully, he quickly develops an effective working relationship with Dalrymple and sets the club on the path to ongoing and recurring success.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to sam .

10. Likes WBFC4FFC, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All the best to Sam. Another lawyer joins management.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

12. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to have you back at the Kennel Sam.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

It's an interesting appointment and he has a wide and varied CV. This is a huge appointment for him.
    Good luck to Sam and his team. He has some critical names to get signed, sealed and delivered and I hope he is a strong negotiator particularity at the trade table.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

15. Likes anfo27, Raw Toast, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Forgetting much of his footy. What I remember of him was that every time the media banged on to Will Minson about how he was the most intelligent player in the AFEL, Will always immediately said that Sam Power had him covered (for intellect/IQ/smarts etc). Clayton Utz on his CV is impressive considering they'd get about 500 CVs for a handful of spots a year. Hope that powerful brain of his extends into the new role.

Gordon, Bains, Power. We like lawyers.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

17. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Maybe Gordon rates that skillset
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Forgetting much of his footy. What I remember of him was that every time the media banged on to Will Minson about how he was the most intelligent player in the AFEL, Will always immediately said that Sam Power had him covered (for intellect/IQ/smarts etc). Clayton Utz on his CV is impressive considering they'd get about 500 CVs for a handful of spots a year. Hope that powerful brain of his extends into the new role.

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Maybe Gordon rates that skillset

Lawyers rule the world. If you can't beat them then you may as well surround yourself with the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Sam certainly sounds like a well credentialled, astute guy. Not sure his list management experience learnt at Carlton (most recycled players in AFL) fills me with confidence though....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Sam certainly sounds like a well credentialled, astute guy. Not sure his list management experience learnt at Carlton (most recycled players in AFL) fills me with confidence though....
    I dare say SOS would have had more to do with that than Sam did.

Post Thanks / Like

My most vivid recollection of his playing days in our colours is that my throat was often sore.

May he hit more targets as an administrator than he did with the boots on.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

23. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post