Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  22
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sam Power appointed Dogs' new General Manager of List and Recruiting

Naughton is the best achievement on his resume for me. Young WA lad who can play well as a KPP at either end so you know both the WA clubs would be right into him and he's locked in for 4 extra years. That means at least 4 extra years before we can be strongarmed into trading him while he still has a year on his contract.

Post Thanks / Like

I was a little disappointed The Bont wasn't signed for a longer period. We need him as a Bulldog for life.

Overall he is doing a good job.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I was a little disappointed The Bont wasn't signed for a longer period. We need him as a Bulldog for life.

Overall he is doing a good job.
    I don't think there was much Power could do about that. I'm sure they would have given Bont any length contract he wanted, but he acted within his rights to extend only until free agency comes into play. The test will be getting him re-signed well before the end of that season. If Sam is doing his job we will have to cash banked to head off any free agency offers.

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I don't think there was much Power could do about that. I'm sure they would have given Bont any length contract he wanted, but he acted within his rights to extend only until free agency comes into play. The test will be getting him re-signed well before the end of that season. If Sam is doing his job we will have to cash banked to head off any free agency offers.
    We must have saved a bit losing Stringer and getting Gowers.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    We must have saved a bit losing Stringer and getting Gowers.
    Not paying Dahl the $500,000+ either. Nor Adams the nice juicy contract that he got to convince him to stay. Next year we are not paying Picken, probably Morris and maybe Dicko (hopefully his body holds up though) who would combined have a large sum. Tom Boyd has only two years after this one on his existing contract, and I suspect his new contract will be a lot less. Then add in the cap banking (aka Hurley Money, now Wingard Money) will just keep rolling over through indirect contract mechanisms until we pull the trigger on it with someone worth it. Power made the play on Wingard with the support of the club, knowing we'd need to sign these pups and stars up. Which he's doing. We are in a very good position with our cap, plus cap rises. It's exciting times as a member to be in such a strong position.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Not paying Dahl the $500,000+ either. Nor Adams the nice juicy contract that he got to convince him to stay. Next year we are not paying Picken, probably Morris and maybe Dicko (hopefully his body holds up though) who would combined have a large sum. Tom Boyd has only two years after this one on his existing contract, and I suspect his new contract will be a lot less. Then add in the cap banking (aka Hurley Money, now Wingard Money) will just keep rolling over through indirect contract mechanisms until we pull the trigger on it with someone worth it. Power made the play on Wingard with the support of the club, knowing we'd need to sign these pups and stars up. Which he's doing. We are in a very good position with our cap, plus cap rises. It's exciting times as a member to be in such a strong position.
    I still think Libba will end up over $600k. If his numbers continue at this rate he will make Cripps look like a hack in clearances, Cont.poss
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I know it’s a new generation but I can’t see Liberatore,Macrae , Hunter or the Bont ever leaving us, Naughton seems the the loyal type too.
    They are big money players we need to look after as well.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Josh Kelly war chest

11. Likes bulldogtragic, Twodogs, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Josh Kelly war chest
    If they keep Cognilio, I hope so.

I'll try to offer up my thoughts on why this can be achieved be it Hurley, Wingard, Kelly or other. My guess is our salary cap banking is likely around $900,000 on the conservative side (could be a lot more, double perhaps). This is made up of two years (or more) under full cap payments and the portion of Crameri's salary the AFEL said we could bank after he was suspended (circa $180,000). This is what's fundamental to the 'Wingard Money'.

We aren't from a financial sense adding another million dollar player to Boyd & Bont (close maybe?). We are from the classy player aspect.

What I'd suggest we've tried to do is look at salary cap rises, retirements and players sent out on good wages as the means of securing all the pups and stars to do. Now my guess work:

We offer Kelly/other $900,000 or so over 5 years. That's $4,500,000 over the contract. We knock off $900,000 bank is essence off the first three years, meaning Kelly costs us $600,000 in years 1-3. Now Tom Boyd's contract comes down to say $600,000 if he gets continuity and form. The reduction in Boyd's salary frees up $300,000 for years 4-7 (having extended two more years). So in the backend of the contract a chuck of savings in Boyd means Kelly/other is costing us $600,000.

So the salary cap bank and the list structure (Boyd's contract restructuring) helps deliver us a genuine A Grade talent (if we can get them to come, see Hurley & Wingard), for in effect just $600,000 a season all factored in.

Stringer, Dahl, Adams, Picko, Morris and others salary being freed up (& cap rises) will take care of business with re-signings. It has already, no one we desperately wanted to keep has been squeezed out despite the club going hard at $900,000/5 year players, and we are signing big players early. Going at Wingard wasn't irresponsible last year, going at Kelly/others won't be irresponsible this year. When you look at the list, and play guess on salaries and projected salaries, I think there's $600,000 available comfortably which as above is enough with the bank/Boyd to land an A Grader. I know many won't agree, but I see us a big opportunity on the cap front and the draft picks to go for an A Grader or two good specific role players. I guess we will all wait and see in 6 months.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 12-04-2019 at 10:37 AM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

13. Thanks Grantysghost thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I know it’s a new generation but I can’t see Liberatore,Macrae , Hunter or the Bont ever leaving us, Naughton seems the the loyal type too.
    They are big money players we need to look after as well.
    Hunter signed a long term contract not long ago and Macrae has quietly signed extensions as well.
    Bont we have plenty of cash for.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

The thing with Bont is that it should only be an incremental increase for his next contract, not a massive jump.

I'm completely plucking figures but say he's on 800k now and may go to 1 million or a bit over next time. It's not like we will need to find another 1 million in the cap.

16. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Kelly or Coniglio are going anywhere. Jack Martin on the other hand...
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to get Martin
    Sam’s doing a decent job