Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Roughead leads by example

Link

Jordan Roughead is someone who likes to lead by example.

Outside of football, the Bulldogs’ ruckman dedicates his time to working as a mentor with Ladder, a charity which focuses on providing support to homeless youth.

In 2017 Roughead was nominated for the prestigious Jim Stynes Community Leadership Award for his outstanding contribution to Ladder and he has recently joined the Club’s AFLW team as an assistant coach ahead of the upcoming season.

He also returns to the leadership group at VU Whitten Oval after stepping away in 2016.

The 27-year-old says that, while the promotion is humbling, a level of leadership is expected from all players.

“My approach to footy and life at the Western Bulldogs doesn’t change based on my position in the leadership group,” Roughead told westernbulldogs.com.au.

“Obviously I spent a few years in there and stepped away from it.

“It’s kind of a throw away line that most clubs say, but, you do expect a level of leadership from all of your players across the group.”

Roughead is joined by captain Easton Wood, vice-captain Marcus Bontempelli and new faces Jason Johannisen, Jack Redpath and Lachie Hunter.

“We’ve got a really good balance of guys who have experience in the leadership group and guys who are quite young and will gain that experience over the next few years.”

Roughead said the leaders would provide a voice for the playing group.

“It’s more being aware of what’s going on amongst the group,” said Roughead.

“Making sure if there are any issues arising or any challenges that we’re facing as a group that we know about them early and can go about correcting and re-aligning the right way.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Max469, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Roughead leads by example

Such a good lad. Bulldog born and bred.

Post Thanks / Like

I have run into him a few times at a supermarket in Richmond, and he is such a nice bloke to talk to.

I predict a big 2018 for Roughy.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Roughy is a great guy to have at the club. I really hope he has a good season and stays fit and healthy
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Likes Eastdog, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe Roughy has been more than average over the journey. It's not just a one-eyed assessment ( pardon the pun, almost lost an eye for us in 2016.) An average AFL player only gets to 60 games. It's a hard game on big men, and their role is not celebrated like a forward or a midfielder. It's a team game, but in the age of celebrity guys like Roughy are under-appreciated. Was made Vice, but gave it up to focus on his footy. Wouldn't swap him for 2 Jake Stringers, but now it's time to go.
    Thanks for everything Roughy.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

8. Likes Testekill, Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I believe Roughy has been more than average over the journey. It's not just a one-eyed assessment ( pardon the pun, almost lost an eye for us in 2016.) An average AFL player only gets to 60 games. It's a hard game on big men, and their role is not celebrated like a forward or a midfielder. It's a team game, but in the age of celebrity guys like Roughy are under-appreciated. Was made Vice, but gave it up to focus on his footy. Wouldn't swap him for 2 Jake Stringers, but now it's time to go.
    Thanks for everything Roughy.
    I think that the 3rd man up rule change was what screwed Roughy. In 2016 he and Campbell were great at working their opponents over and negated all of the highly fancied ruckmen who could barely even get a hit out to advantage.

10. Likes SonofScray liked this post