Link

Jordan Roughead is someone who likes to lead by example.

Outside of football, the Bulldogs’ ruckman dedicates his time to working as a mentor with Ladder, a charity which focuses on providing support to homeless youth.

In 2017 Roughead was nominated for the prestigious Jim Stynes Community Leadership Award for his outstanding contribution to Ladder and he has recently joined the Club’s AFLW team as an assistant coach ahead of the upcoming season.

He also returns to the leadership group at VU Whitten Oval after stepping away in 2016.

The 27-year-old says that, while the promotion is humbling, a level of leadership is expected from all players.

“My approach to footy and life at the Western Bulldogs doesn’t change based on my position in the leadership group,” Roughead told westernbulldogs.com.au.

“Obviously I spent a few years in there and stepped away from it.

“It’s kind of a throw away line that most clubs say, but, you do expect a level of leadership from all of your players across the group.”

Roughead is joined by captain Easton Wood, vice-captain Marcus Bontempelli and new faces Jason Johannisen, Jack Redpath and Lachie Hunter.

“We’ve got a really good balance of guys who have experience in the leadership group and guys who are quite young and will gain that experience over the next few years.”

Roughead said the leaders would provide a voice for the playing group.

“It’s more being aware of what’s going on amongst the group,” said Roughead.

“Making sure if there are any issues arising or any challenges that we’re facing as a group that we know about them early and can go about correcting and re-aligning the right way.”