Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rate a team in 2008: the Pies

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    Their young players are no better than ours just that anyone who plays for the Collingwood is a star.
    We beat them easily when we were in form. They play on emotion more than any other club.
    If we got thier umpiring we would have won some of our last 7 games.
    I agree we have the Wood on them (sic).

But you said that their young players were crap compared to ours - I disagree.

Dunno if even all three unps could turn around our woeful last 7 game efforts.
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErnieSigley View Post
    Their young players are no better than ours just that anyone who plays for the Collingwood is a star.
    We beat them easily when we were in form. They play on emotion more than any other club.
    If we got thier umpiring we would have won some of our last 7 games.
    I don't agree with the last comment but we don't suffer in a list comparison with them.
    Their coach worked the miracles and they pumped a lot of games into their younger group which should benefit them but I doubt that a number of them have another level.

I think that the exposure of playing in front of bigger crowds lifts their younger guys.
    Fancy getting Marty Clarke up and running like they did. Lets hope that was a lot to do with Gotch and that he can get some more out of a few of our blokes.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Let me restate that. Umpiring is not an excuse for our club losing but its often a reason for Collingwood winning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Lets hope that was a lot to do with Gotch and that he can get some more out of a few of our blokes.
    Not sure we can say that though GVGjr. My take on things is twofold:

1/.Gotch is an excellent coach.
    2/.He didn't get to do much actual coaching during the week at Collingwood, effectively being restricted to Williamstown duties.

I am very pleased with have him, but suspect that if we want to credit him with development of the young Collingwood boys, then it would have been related to his work on game-day in the VFL and not during the week at the Lexus centre. And I know where the players spend more time...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Not sure we can say that though GVGjr. My take on things is twofold:

1/.Gotch is an excellent coach.
    2/.He didn't get to do much actual coaching during the week at Collingwood, effectively being restricted to Williamstown duties.

I am very pleased with have him, but suspect that if we want to credit him with development of the young Collingwood boys, then it would have been related to his work on game-day in the VFL and not during the week at the Lexus centre. And I know where the players spend more time...

I know what you mean but the Pies have developed their list and fast tracked some players a lot quicker than a few clubs. If Gotch has had something to do with that or is aware of what the Pies have done well then it should translate to a better development for us as well.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

I remember reading a quote from Malthouse that was along the lines of their being no point drafting a kid and then having him sitting around eating bread rolls for two years. He has amazing faith in his kids. How many times have you seen someone say that a Malthouse side is playing above itself? 1-4

Batman Guest

Pies are a wildcard. Could finish anywhere from 1 - 12 (reg season ladder).

Cloke is critical. I like their list. Don't seem to have a natural replacement for Burns if he gets injured (and likely too as he's older). No Licca or Bucks to fill the breach. Also defense looks thin and old...

But this is the team that ran Geelong to 5pts in the 2nd last week of Sept.

For me balance of probabilities has them around 9th.

Post Thanks / Like

Like alot of sides, injuries could be the key, i can also see them as a top 8 side.

Perhaps 4 - 8th

Post Thanks / Like

I get a seriously weird pain in my stomach whenever I watch this mob play.

Especially with the recent history of Rocca tearing Murph's knee up with a clever bit of thuggery, effectively destroying our last two seasons. Murph was really flying up to that point in 2006, taking an average of 12 marks a game as a very, very mobile CHF, even starting to be talked up as potentially the best in the comp (certainly our best player up to that point). Fully fit, he would have made a huge difference to the team (even half-fit he manages to outshine most players when he gets the ball).

This team, as usual, will be over-rated, especially after last year's effort. I expect them to do a Hawthorn after their close prelim final loss to the Bombers a few years back and just drop out of sight for a couple of years. Malthouse is a very good coach but the game seems to be trying its darnedest to pass him by, although he is putting up a hell of a fight. List too young, too small-bodied, injuries will take their toll. (sound familiar?)

10th, Lexus Center be damned.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with those who think Collingwood were playing above themselves. The critics wrote them off after the defeat to us in the finals, and perhaps they did play on some emotion last year to prove the critics wrong. However this year, I can't see them getting up - I see them sitting 9-12.