Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

'Pissed off' Schache wants to silence doubters

QUESTION marks over his competiveness left Josh Schache "pissed off" and determined to prove the doubters wrong.

Three months after crossing to the Western Bulldogs from the Brisbane Lions in the final 30 seconds of the NAB AFL Trade Period, the 20-year-old is relishing life at Whitten Oval and being just an hour's drive from his family in country Victoria.

While he concedes he needs to improve the contested side of his game after being drafted by the Lions with pick No.2 in 2015, the key forward is fiercely determined to show the football world he has an appetite for the hard stuff.

"I think I'm competitive, and I was pretty pissed off when I heard I wasn't competitive enough," Schache told AFL.com.au.

"I'm not here to run around the ground and do the little things, I'm here to compete really hard and do what I need to do for the team.

"I want to prove everyone wrong and show that I am competitive."

Much like fellow early pick and new teammate Tom Boyd, Schache has been thrown into the ruck in a bid to improve his physicality and versatility under coach Luke Beveridge's flexibility mantra.

The change of role is paying immediate dividends, with Schache's confidence and conditioning improving considerably just over a month out from the JLT Community Series.

"In match simulation, I've been playing in ruck and trying to develop that side of my game, so I've pretty much half and half between the ruck and up forward," he said.

"I'm down to 95kg at the moment after being over 100kg up in Brisbane, and now I'm running and recovering a lot better.

"Now I need to build on the muscle side of things and make sure I'm harder to move in the contested situation, but I feel like I'm tracking OK in that area.

"It's not an excuse, but I'm up against guys more experienced and a bit heavier than me, so it's something I need to continue to work on."

Schache and Boyd, the 2013 No.1 pick, have discussed the pressures that come with being taken at the pointy end of the draft after both youngsters took time away from the game in 2017 to deal with the burdens that come with being a League footballer.

As well as conditioning his body for the rigours of the game, he also seeks the counsel of club psychologist Lisa Stevens to help him deal with the mental side.

"Lisa has been really good, and I go and see her every now and then," he said.

"She has been really good at helping me on and off the ground - just getting your mind back to the things you need to think about."

With Schache now settled and thriving, he is in a strong position to push for a round-one berth.

He'll vie with Boyd and Jack Redpath for what's likely to be two positions in attack for tall forwards, but the competition for spots has been a big factor in him finding enjoyment in his footy again.

"It was a big drive for me to come to the Dogs and play with those boys," Schache said.

"Just working closely with Boydy and 'Red' has helped with my development.

"I think my kicking, my hands and match awareness are building, so I feel more comfortable with each training session.

"I'm enjoying coming to the club and seeing all the boys each day."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-01-1...lence-doubters
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes WBFC4FFC, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 'Pissed off' Schache wants to silence doubters

Great to hear, get angry young man.

4. Likes bornadog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Exciting times ahead with two big guys , ex picks 1 and 2, now they need to deliver.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like angry young men on the football field.

Take out all your frustration on the rest of the completion Joshy. They are all bagging you behind your back, doubting your ability and your heart. There is only one way to sort out this situation and that's to hit the first body that gets between you and the ball hard, Bloody hard, and then repeat.

Pretty soon they won't get between you and the ball.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Made my day brighter. I'm looking forward to Schache & Boyd in combo, plus Roughy & English at points. I'm not sure Campbell will get a go this year and Redders is a week by week proposition with his injuries so I won't jinx him by talking about him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a young man with a lot to prove - looking forward to watching him in 2018.

Great that it's been a focus to work on his ruck craft too.

Post Thanks / Like

Great to read about the determination this kid has got.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Actions Josh. That's what will impress us.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

12. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Its good to hear that Josh has identified this as an area to be worked on and I think he was definitely worth taking a punt on given the raw tools.
    I will however be keeping my expectations low (and to a lesser extent the same for Tom Boyd) until we see some consistent output on the field.
    "You always own the option of having no opinion. There is never any need to get worked up or to trouble your soul about things you can't control. These things are not asking to be judged by you. Leave them alone" - Marcus Aurelius

14. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    Actions Josh. That's what will impress us.
    100%

People have been saying less than nice things about his competitiveness after watching him play footy...and reacting to things like him not playing in the NEAFL GF - instead choosing to return to Seymour. That's how you go from pick 2 overall to a mid second rounder in 2 years...

Get as angry as you like but this is really a 'get on the paddock and show us' moment if there ever was one.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

16. Likes Eastdog, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Love to see him have an impact in 2018.

18. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post

Wouldn't be awesome if the twin towers of Boyd and Schasche dominated opposition defences. "Stop Schasche!" "Who's supposed to be on Boyd and why is he 10 metres in the clear taking marks on his chest?" "Where did Dickson come from?"
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

20. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Wouldn't be awesome if the twin towers of Boyd and Schasche dominated opposition defences. "Stop Schasche!" "Who's supposed to be on Boyd and why is he 10 metres in the clear taking marks on his chest?" "Where did Dickson come from?"
    Sounds great!
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by angelopetraglia View Post
    Yep it is his time to shine now since coming to us.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

There's a reason that there's been doubts, mostly because, despite his lofty draft status, he's shown 2/5ths of nothing as an AFL footballer.

I hate the off season so much.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -