Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Coach expects second-year Dogs to step forward

Ryan Davidson

Patrick Lipinski made his debut in round 23 against Hawthorn

THE WESTERN Bulldogs are optimistic second-year forwards Patrick Lipinski, Fergus Greene and Nathan Mullenger-McHugh will have a much bigger impact in 2018.

All three have had sound pre-seasons to date, and with coach Luke Beveridge's mantra of rewarding good VFL form, senior opportunities will be up for grabs this year.

Lipinski, who was pick No.28 in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft, was the only one of the trio to make his debut last season after he was rewarded for impressive form for Footscray with a game against Hawthorn in round 23.

The Northern Knights product had a mixed evening in the loss to the Hawks, collecting 18 possessions and kicking three behinds.

Bulldogs forwards coach Ashley Hansen told AFL.com.au the mid-sized playmaker has all the tools to be a consistent League footballer.

"Paddy has got some tremendous attributes that will hold him in good stead at the highest level with his ability to run, his game sense and the way he uses the ball," Hansen said.

"They're skill sets we like at this footy club."

When quizzed on Greene and Mullenger-McHugh, Hansen – a premiership forward with West Coast in 2006 – said another pre-season of conditioning would give them the chance of emulating Lipinski.

Greene is a medium forward with great goal sense while Mullenger-McHugh is a raw and athletic tall who has also spent time down back and in the ruck.

"Greene and Mullenger-McHugh are developing really well at VFL level, and coming into their second year they're doing more of the summer training with the maturity of their bodies," he said.

"They can attack this year with greater experience and greater conditioning, so if they go well early in the VFL there's no reason why we won't reward good performances."
    Greene appears the better equipped of the pair to take the next step, with the former Bendigo Pioneer possessing elite endurance and a smart football brain.

The 19-year-old, who has similar attributes to teammate Tory Dickson, kicked eight goals in his first two VFL outings before a wrist injury and the rigours of the game wore the youngster down.
    "Fergus had a few injuries, but certainly his ability to cover the ground and get into open space really suits the modern game," Hansen said.

"He has really long arms that allow him to take a mark at its highest point and can use the ball well, so he's an exciting prospect.

"He's got to fill out a little more like Tory, but he's certainly coming along as a goalkicking forward."

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Twodogs, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coach expects second-year Dogs to step forward

What paper is it in? I thought that I'd read both of them but I didn't see this.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    What paper is it in? I thought that I'd read both of them but I didn't see this.
    It's on AFL.com BAD added the link at the top of the post
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    It's on AFL.com BAD added the link at the top of the post

Cheers. I thought i had turned two pages at once and hadn't noticed the first time I read the paper but I started to worry when I just went through each of them and still couldn't find it. It didn't occur to me to click on the link. I'd much rather panic that my mind isn't working properly.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Patrick could start to be in the best 22 if he can continue his good form from the end of 2017. If any players start to lose form, he will quickly take their spot. He is a great prospect.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

8. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Was good on his debut Pat. Looking forward to seeing how he goes this season particularly at AFL level.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"