Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  72
Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 427
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    40,811
    Post Thanks / Like

    2018 Tour of South Africa

    TEST SQUAD:

    Steve Smith (c), David Warner (vc), Cameron Bancroft, Usman Khawaja, Peter Handscomb, Shaun Marsh, Mitchell Marsh, Tim Paine, Mitchell Starc, Josh Hazlewood, Pat Cummins, Nathan Lyon, Jackson Bird, Jon Holland, Jhye Richardson.

    Warm-up match v SA Invitational XI, Sahara Park, Benoni, Feb 22-24


    First Test Kingsmead, Durban, March 1-5.


    Second Test St George's Park, Port Elizabeth, March 9-13


    Third Test Newlands, Cape Town, March 22-26


    Fourth Test Wanderers, Johannesbur, March 30-April 3
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  2. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    25,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Good for Handscomb, Bancroft, Holland and Richardson,
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    14,156
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Gee sayers is stiff

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    24,469
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Good for Handscomb, Bancroft, Holland and Richardson,
    Can you see Holland playing much test cricket on the tour? I think he can be an ideal foil for Lyon.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    24,469
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Gee sayers is stiff
    And Renshaw. Gone from out of the team to out of the squad even though his replacement has multiple failures in his most recent form. It seemed they prefer Bancroft because he might only make 15 but he gets those 15 runs quickly. Even his ducks are first ball, no mucking around there either.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    25,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Can you see Holland playing much test cricket on the tour? I think he can be an ideal foil for Lyon.
    The fact that he is on the tour moves him the number 2 spinner slot.
    He might not play but he is now clearly ahead for SOK, Agar and Swepson. If he gets a chance he needs to make the most of it.
    SA should prepare for seam friendly tracks
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    25,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    And Renshaw. Gone from out of the team to out of the squad even though his replacement has multiple failures in his most recent form. It seemed they prefer Bancroft because he might only make 15 but he gets those 15 runs quickly. Even his ducks are first ball, no mucking around there either.
    Bancroft is actually a patient batsman especially at the top of the order. The Sheffield Shield innings that put him into the selection mix were patient ones.

    I really like Renshaw and hope he starts to get some good runs again soon
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    40,811
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Bancroft is actually a patient batsman especially at the top of the order. The Sheffield Shield innings that put him into the selection mix were patient ones.

    I really like Renshaw and hope he starts to get some good runs again soon
    Its actually a joke that Renshaw has been banished. His test record is fine, yes he had some poor shield form, but Bancroft's test innings was woeful, even if he was patient he didn't make any runs, yet he is rewarded with a tour.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    25,971
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Its actually a joke that Renshaw has been banished. His test record is fine, yes he had some poor shield form, but Bancroft's test innings was woeful, even if he was patient he didn't make any runs, yet he is rewarded with a tour.
    He hasn't been rewarded with a tour, no one has had a chance to replace him. He's been maintained not rewarded.
    The selectors would never go back to Renshaw given he hasn't made runs at any level.

    With just 7 batsman selected in the squad Handscomb was the more logical choice.
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,516
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Gee sayers is stiff
    Saffer decks are tailor made for someone like Sayers - he is our Philander clone, who will take multiple wickets against us guaranteed. Unfortunately for Sayers, Boof has a hard-on for genuine pace.
    "You've got no fear of The Underdog, that's why you will not survive"
    - Spoon, 2007
    - Western Bulldogs, 2016

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    40,811
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He hasn't been rewarded with a tour, no one has had a chance to replace him. He's been maintained not rewarded.
    The selectors would never go back to Renshaw given he hasn't made runs at any level.

    With just 7 batsman selected in the squad Handscomb was the more logical choice.
    Renshaw - test average 36.64 Hasn't played Shield since 3 December, so how does he make runs???

    Bancroft - test average 25.57 - basically failed as an opener.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    24,469
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Bancroft is actually a patient batsman especially at the top of the order. The Sheffield Shield innings that put him into the selection mix were patient ones.

    I really like Renshaw and hope he starts to get some good runs again soon
    Who am I thinking of then? Handscomb maybe?

    I must admit my mind hasn't exactly been on the job lately.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    40,811
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Who am I thinking of then? Handscomb maybe?

    I must admit my mind hasn't exactly been on the job lately.
    Bancroft Ashes series

    0 Australia v England Sydney 4 Jan 2018
    26, 27 Australia v England Melbourne 26 Dec 2017
    25 Australia v England Perth 14 Dec 2017
    10, 4 Australia v England Adelaide 2 Dec 2017
    5, 82* Australia v England Brisbane 23 Nov 2017

    Made 82 when it was all over but other than that he wasn't up to it.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  15. Likes Topdog liked this post
  16. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Who am I thinking of then? Handscomb maybe?

    I must admit my mind hasn't exactly been on the job lately.
    In the test matches Bancroft wasnt that patient. He is a very lucky boy.

    Gee just saw the post above. 7 scores under 30 from 8 attempts. The 82 was also a not out which inflated his average.

  17. Likes bornadog liked this post
  18. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,516
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    In the test matches Bancroft wasnt that patient. He is a very lucky boy.

    Gee just saw the post above. 7 scores under 30 from 8 attempts. The 82 was also a not out which inflated his average.
    Yep, a poor series in anyone's language. Renshaw is also a terrific 1st slip and adds security to the cordon.
    "You've got no fear of The Underdog, that's why you will not survive"
    - Spoon, 2007
    - Western Bulldogs, 2016

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •