Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  72
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 427
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    23,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Yep, a poor series in anyone's language. Renshaw is also a terrific 1st slip and adds security to the cordon.

    Agreed. When your slips cordon are in a chatty mood then it usually means the rest of the field is up and on its toes as well.


    Great teams have great slips fielders. Especially first slip. We were blessed to have Mark Taylor and Mark Waugh, and Shane Warne who wasn't as talented but worked really hard on his slips fielding and became very proficient at it.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seddon
    Posts
    5,378
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Sounds like we've got an up and coming leg spinner in our ranks.

    In the U/19 World Cup quarter final just now, Australia were bowled out for 127 - and ended up beating England thanks to Lloyd Pope taking 8/30.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    25,191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Renshaw - test average 36.64 Hasn't played Shield since 3 December, so how does he make runs???

    Bancroft - test average 25.57 - basically failed as an opener.
    I'm actually agreeing with you that Renshaw didn't have the chance to get back into form but I'm also acknowledging that Bancroft had sensational form when selected. This tour will sort him out but in the event that he fails the selectors have clearly said Marsh or Khawaja will replace him at the top of the order for this tour with Handscomb coming into the middle of the order.


    My take on Holland is that he is very unlikely to ever play in the same side as Lyon. If Lyon is injured then Holland is his likely replacement, Mind you Holland would never pass the Twodogs selection criteria because he is well below par in the field and then offers a number 11 type performance with the bat.

    The back up spinners are Agar who will more likely only play when Lyon needs a spinning partner (because of his batting) or Swepson because we would love to have a wrist spinner like him

    Richardson is on a work experience holiday but probably deserves that experience. Bird over Sayers is mainly because he bowls about 10 clicks quicker. Handscomb now knows he is still well within the mix.
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    39,845
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    What more does this bloke have to do?

    Glenn Maxwell in 2017/18..

    Shield: Avg 73.8, HS 278, Runs 590 (Ranked No.1)

    BBL: Runs 299, HS 84, Strike-rate 154.1 (Ranked No.4)

    Maxwell has struck career-best form against the red ball and the white ball. And he’s been dropped from Australia’s Test team and ODI team. Smart?
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    25,191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What more does this bloke have to do?
    Stop being mouthy for starters
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    39,845
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Stop being mouthy for starters
    If that is their excuse then we have serious issues with leadership in Australian Cricket
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    23,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Stop being mouthy for starters

    I see your point and normally I'd agree 100% but Smith owns some of this problem as well, in fact Smith is more at fault and if being lippy means you can't be in the test side then when does Steve get off?

    His comments about Maxwell were immature and ill advised and said a lot more about Smith (and his genuine fear of Glen Maxwell. I know fear when I see it in someone's eyes and Smiths eyes were full of fear when he was talking about Maxwell last week) than Maxell. I don't know why Smith has a problem with Maxwell but he needs to get over it for the sake of Australian cricket because frankly it's getting untenable leaving him out of the team.
    WOOF NUMBER 6

  8. Likes bornadog liked this post
  9. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,402
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Stop being mouthy for starters
    He's been noticeably more circumspect in the media for a couple of years now. Khawaja and others have had more to say in the media about their selection snubs so to single out Maxwell for this just doesn't add up at all. The BS about 'training smarter' also doesn't fly. Smith simply doesn't like him and that's perfectly fine.

    I'm not even sure myself if he is in the best 6 batsmen in the country for test cricket but his red ball performances the last couple of seasons make a compelling case for a spot in the team. The ODI snub is simply a poor call - he is comfortably best 11 in that format irrespective of a small form slump in 2017.
    "You've got no fear of The Underdog, that's why you will not survive"
    - Spoon, 2007
    - Western Bulldogs, 2016

  10. Likes bornadog, Twodogs liked this post
  11. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Yarraville
    Posts
    10,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I see your point and normally I'd agree 100% but Smith owns some of this problem as well, in fact Smith is more at fault and if being lippy means you can't be in the test side then when does Steve get off?

    His comments about Maxwell were immature and ill advised and said a lot more about Smith (and his genuine fear of Glen Maxwell. I know fear when I see it in someone's eyes and Smiths eyes were full of fear when he was talking about Maxwell last week) than Maxell. I don't know why Smith has a problem with Maxwell but he needs to get over it for the sake of Australian cricket because frankly it's getting untenable leaving him out of the team.
    Smith isn't a selector.

    Smith is the best Test batsmen of his era and has made more than 1000 runs and averaged of 70 for each of the past 4 years. To say Smith is scared of Maxwell, a batsmen with a Test batting average of 26 after 14 Test innings, and a career first class average of 42, is one of the sillier things I've heard. To put things into perspective, Smith has made as many Test centuries in the past 12 months as Maxwell has made in first class cricket in his entire life, and he's older than Smith.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    23,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Smith isn't a selector.

    Smith is the best Test batsmen of his era and has made more than 1000 runs and averaged of 70 for each of the past 4 years. To say Smith is scared of Maxwell, a batsmen with a Test batting average of 26 after 14 Test innings, and a career first class average of 42, is one of the sillier things I've heard. To put things into perspective, Smith has made as many Test centuries in the past 12 months as Maxwell has made in first class cricket in his entire life, and he's older than Smith.

    Smith might be a good batsman but that's not what we are talking about. We are talking about his leadership skills and I stick to my "he can't captain his way out of a wet paper bag" comment
    WOOF NUMBER 6

  13. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Yarraville
    Posts
    10,071
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Smith might be a good batsman but that's not what we are talking about. We are talking about his leadership skills and I stick to my "he can't captain his way out of a wet paper bag" comment
    That doesn't explain how you came to the conclusion Smith wants Maxwell out of the Test team because he's scared of him. Especially considering as I highlighted Maxwell is a fringe talent and Smith is the best of his era.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

  14. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    23,867
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    That doesn't explain how you came to the conclusion Smith wants Maxwell out of the Test team because he's scared of him. Especially considering as I highlighted Maxwell is a fringe talent and Smith is the best of his era.
    Alright. Smith isn't scared of him for some reason. I can't see fear in Smith's eyes when he talks about Maxwell.

    Maxwell is a bit more than a fringe talent and he's not getting selected on shield form and the reason is the captain doesn't like him. I know Smith isn't a selector but if he says "don't pick Glen Maxwell" then Glenn Maxwell doesn't get picked.

    Why has Smith got Maxwell in his sights?
    WOOF NUMBER 6

  15. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Doglands
    Posts
    25,191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    He's been noticeably more circumspect in the media for a couple of years now. Khawaja and others have had more to say in the media about their selection snubs so to single out Maxwell for this just doesn't add up at all. The BS about 'training smarter' also doesn't fly. Smith simply doesn't like him and that's perfectly fine.

    I'm not even sure myself if he is in the best 6 batsmen in the country for test cricket but his red ball performances the last couple of seasons make a compelling case for a spot in the team. The ODI snub is simply a poor call - he is comfortably best 11 in that format irrespective of a small form slump in 2017.
    I'm not so sure. A few weeks back when interviewed he mentioned that he would have played more cricket for Australia but he is someone who expresses his views and has strong opinions. He never fessed up that appalling shot selection has played a huge part in his up and down career.
    I think he pulled his head in after that but he believes his non selection is something to do because he speaks his mind. I don't think that is correct ub fact it's most likely a long way off.

    Australian selectors love their job and would tolerate a vocal opinion if it means we would win more games but I don't think Maxwell has grasped the concept that he needs to establish himself as a player first before his so called 'strong opinions' will be genuinely listened to.

    Runs not words will get him selected.
    Tough times don't last, tough people do
    "He'll accumulate and be involved, but we're looking a qualitative sheen on his game that we need, and it is part of our scope to score"

  16. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wherever the dogs are playing
    Posts
    39,845
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Runs not words will get him selected.
    Number one run maker in Shield matches this season.
    Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

  17. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Parkville Medical Precinct
    Posts
    1,080
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2018 Tour of South Africa

    After watching the test matches in South Africa this summer, one would have to wonder why Australia are bothering with a 2nd spinner anyway - even India are playing 5 seamers in the current test at the Wanderers.

    Probably would have been better to send Chadd Sayers - don't need to be express pace when the pitches are green tops and seaming sideways.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •