Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Our 2018 Ruck Division

We had a bad run with injuries to Roughead and Campbell last year and even our back-up in Boyd missed a substantial chunk of the season. This year both of them appear to be fit and I'm told it's the fittest Campbell has been since he arrived at the club. Boyd is also looking in ripping condition plus we have added both Schache and Trengove which should provide terrific depth. On top of that Tim English is now into his 2nd pre-season with us.

I'm wondering if Roughead's position as our first ruck might not only be under pressure from Tom Campbell but could Bevo possibly be looking to shake things up and use Trengove as the first ruck?
    The other option might be to use Boyd with support from Schache and Trengove.

What combination do you think are we likely to enter round one with?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Our 2018 Ruck Division

Roughy is certainly under fire but his direct competition for first ruck is Campbell. If Boyd is playing as a first ruck then he's almost certainly rotating with Trengove and Schache at probably 50%, 30% and 20% time in the ruck respectively.

I think Roughead just needsto focus on clunking marks again. That was his greatest asset in 2016 where he'd just outwork his opponent all over the ground and provide a contest in the air or win one on one contests. He fell off a cliff last year thanks to injury and just being in awful form.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that Roughead will be under a lot of pressure to retain his spot.

We have a number of options and plenty of guys who can play multiple positions, so Roughie and Campbell (I know Roughie has played as a defender, but I don't see a future for him there) are up against given they don't offer the versatility the others do.

I'm very much in the Boyd to ruck and Trengove/Schache to chop out camp.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Roughead will continue to be number one ruck with Boyd and Schache as second rucks. I am hoping Trengove is not needed in the ruck and he plays the full back role on the monster forwards that have given us trouble since Rick Kennedy owned the full back role. Of course Roughy needs to be injury free like in 2016, and find form around the ground and take some good marks.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Roughy can always go back , he was our fullback in the dark times, I would like to see English get few more games under his belt and get feeling comfortable at the top, he is a gun don't be surprised if he starts his run sometime this year.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Roughy can always go back , he was our fullback in the dark times, I would like to see English get few more games under his belt and get feeling comfortable at the top, he is a gun don't be surprised if he starts his run sometime this year.
    I think the general consensus is that Roughead doesn't measure up as a defender and if we have Trengove, Adams, Cordy and Lewis is there actually a spot for him?
    Re Tim English, he might be able to play a few games but I struggle to see a regular spot for him in 2018. He was always a longer term investment and we shouldn't rush him or expect too much too soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree that English is long term - can’t see the mantle of number one ruck on his shoulders for some time yet.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    I have to agree that English is long term - can’t see the mantle of number one ruck on his shoulders for some time yet.
    I think one of the challenges for English is also becoming productive in another position. I know when he was drafted there was a lot of speculation that he could playing in a variety of positions but finding that 2nd or 3rd spot where a 205cm player can be productive in might not be easy.

In 12 months time that might be more evident than it is now so we just need to be patient.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think one of the challenges for English is also becoming productive in another position. I know when he was drafted there was a lot of speculation that he could playing in a variety of positions but finding that 2nd or 3rd spot where a 205cm player can be productive in might not be easy.

In 12 months time that might be more evident than it is now so we just need to be patient.
    For his size he is pretty good at ground level, so this will help him in not only in the ruck but finding that other role. Agree he is a long term prospect.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The English Patient?

11. Likes Remi Moses, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I had Roughie off the list during the 2016 preseason. If he can present up the line and take more pack marks than he did in 2017, I think he'll be right. His marking had improved out of sight, but then dropped off a bit last year.

Big Tom and he combined really well for a few weeks I recall before the pairing was broken up due to injury and we went a different direction with Boyd. Never really saw that again. I honestly think those two, fit and healthy, offer us pretty good value as a ruck duo. It might be the best combination. But not the best balance more broadly for the 22.

Shache, Trengove and Boyd can all offer some relief in the ruck. Though the two younger blokes I would like to see in the forward half more often than not. Boyd can do plenty if we need him though, I want him to be a gun KPF, but if he is a trundling, bash and crash massive beast at every stoppage who can hit the scoreboard that wouldn't be a disaster. Ben Hudson with a little bit of forward craft.

Still not sure where we are headed here. The ruck rule changes really threw us and we never looked like getting it right. I wonder if we had the tactics, but not the right personnel? That might shift with the new faces. We've got options and big guys with some strengths to exploit. Hopefully we have them fit and available and get to employ them wherever required.

Post Thanks / Like

It all depends on their practice match form and how many talls we can fit into our team.At this early stage I would say Roughy and Tom Boyd would be the front runners judging on previous form but like a lot of positions in the team time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    It all depends on their practice match form and how many talls we can fit into our team.At this early stage I would say Roughy and Tom Boyd would be the front runners judging on previous form but like a lot of positions in the team time will tell.
    You would have to think by the end of the month there will be a clearer picture if it's Roughead or Campbell's spot or if we are going to use a combination of Trengove, Boyd and Schache.

The flexibility we have now can hopefully become a strength for us

Post Thanks / Like

You would have to think by the end of the month there will be a clearer picture if it's Roughead or Campbell's spot or if we are going to use a combination of Trengove, Boyd and Schache.

The flexibility
    we have now can hopefully become a strength for us
    Yes the flexibility within our ranks is probably the best for a very long time. It is what Bevo wanted so he must be very happy.