Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Stronger for longer: Bailey’s new season goals

Link

Bailey Williams is eyeing a regular spot in the Bulldogs’ line-up this season.

Having played mostly across half-back since being drafted in 2015, the 20-year-old expects that the lessons he has learned in his 18 senior games will help him prepare for his third year in the AFL.

“I feel I’ve had a good pre-season so far,” said Williams.
    “A few little niggles here and there but nothing too major. I’m feeling fit and just looking forward to getting into more games.”

His first two years in the game may have impressed many, but Williams is insistent that he has more to give.
    Building endurance will be a focus for the South Australian who conceded his fitness and ability to ‘run out games’ will be a focus.

“My attacking side is not too bad, it’s probably my strength but I’ll keep working on my defensive side.”
    “One on ones and spoiling the ball in the packs. Fitness wise I’d like to be able to run out the game better.”

The influence of Development Coach Jordan Russell has helped Williams to get the most out of himself.

“Jordan Russell has worked with me for a couple of years now. He’s been massive on my career so far. I always have long chats with him on what I need to work on.

“It’s more advice, just staying in the phase and always lifting my intensity and training and stuff like that to try and get the most out of it.”

Williams said the opportunity to study a trade outside of football has helped to provide areas of focus beyond AFL.
    “I’ve started doing a carpentry course this year. I’ve started doing that with a few of the boys.

“Hopefully that should be enough to keep my mind away from footy for a little bit.”
    Running with a new haircut, styled by housemate and teammate Roarke Smith, Williams will be hard to miss.

“It was just a bit of fun at home, he laughed.
    “Roarke and I always give each other haircuts and (try to) make it the worst, I guess.”

Williams and his teammates headed to the Sunshine Coast on Wednesday morning to commence a 10-day training camp, as Luke Beveridge's men continue their preparations for the upcoming season.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Throughandthrough, WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stronger for longer: Bailey’s new season goals

Can Williams hold his spot in 2018?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

4. Likes Throughandthrough liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Can Williams hold his spot in 2018?
    He is one of the more intriguing players on the list given there there is still a logjam for back flanker types despite the departure of Murphy and Boyd.
    He just needs to improve the defensive side of his game and I think he could flourish.

I hope he is fully focused on being the best footballer he can because opportunities could be tight.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of Baileys, not Williams this time, Rohan Connoly on SEN had some talk back and discussion this afternoon about the player likely to improve the most this season on each list. Bailey Dale was by far the most nominated of our players.

I was suprised at how many supporters of other clubs were ringing in saying stuff like "this kid at the bulldogs called Bailey Dale could be anything. Every touch is quality (I dunno about every touch, but he certainly has great vision.) I think when he learns what he can and can't do and eliminates errors from his game he will be a very damaging player. He needs to learn to trust his instinct and go with his first option. Often he is halfway through kicking the ball to someone when he has a better idea and trys to check his kick. When he stops doing that he will be much better off.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite