Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  45
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Can Fletcher Roberts bounce back and take a key role in Defence?

Fletch is still only 24 years old and a premiership fullback. Can he bounce back in 2018 and get back to being best 22?

This year he seems to have had an injury free pre-season (that I know of), so would be primed to show his best, but with new players coming in like Trengove, where does it leave Roberts?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can Fletcher Roberts bounce back and take a key role in Defence?

I think he can despite having Adams and Trengove in the mix for a spot in the back line. I wonder if he could also be tried as a key forward? He has some decent instincts up forward.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

He's been treading water for a few years now, however has proven to be capable as a back up and probably maintains his list spot unless he falls further back in the pecking order. He probably can't play in the same side as Trengove or Collins (at AFL level) because they all have limitations with speed/mobility so I suspect he's not an automatic selection, but who knows. Trengove struggled for a game towards years end at the Power and Collins still seems a way off being a regular contributor.

4. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think he can despite having Adams and Trengove in the mix for a spot in the back line. I wonder if he could also be tried as a key forward? He has some decent instincts up forward.

I still remember that 65 metre after the siren barrel for Footscray against Richmond in 2014 that got us the double chance and ultimately the premiership. Nobody else on our list could have done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    He's been treading water for a few years now, however has proven to be capable as a back up and probably maintains his list spot unless he falls further back in the pecking order. He probably can't play in the same side as Trengove or Collins (at AFL level) because they all have limitations with speed/mobility so I suspect he's not an automatic selection, but who knows. Trengove struggled for a game towards years end at the Power and Collins still seems a way off being a regular contributor.
    I still think that Port found out that Trengove had committed to us and that's why he played out the last few weeks at SANFL level. He was persona non grata. Why else would they have gone into a final so short in defence? He's a much better player than a couple of the blokes they went with that night.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

6. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes.

He is good enough. That bomb after the siren in the VFL and a few of his marks and overall performances at AFL level tell us he is. I'm not sure he is the best fit for Bevo, who wants versatility, he has the tools of being a decent swingman a la Hunter from WCE but I think he might be just an old fashioned, meat and potatoes FB.

I like those type of players. Always room on the list for one who can do a job, at whatever level we ask.

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Yes.

He is good enough. That bomb after the siren in the VFL and a few of his marks and overall performances at AFL level tell us he is. I'm not sure he is the best fit for Bevo, who wants versatility, he has the tools of being a decent swingman a la Hunter from WCE but I think he might be just an old fashioned, meat and potatoes FB.

I like those type of players. Always room on the list for one who can do a job, at whatever level we ask.

Why is that SOS? Lack of belief, lack of skill? I see him as a player who can play both ends too but think he will end up as part of the grunt instead. As you say the blokes who provide the grunt are valuable but Fletch could be more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Why is that SOS? Lack of belief, lack of skill? I see him as a player who can play both ends too but think he will end up as part of the grunt instead. As you say the blokes who provide the grunt are valuable but Fletch could be more.
    Not enough pace to get seperation and not physically strong enough to wrestle in the contest. As a full back he uses his long arms really well which give him a lot of perceived height in the contest but he just isn't going to beat guys like Talia & Rance.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    Not enough pace to get seperation and not physically strong enough to wrestle in the contest. As a full back he uses his long arms really well which give him a lot of perceived height in the contest but he just isn't going to beat guys like Talia & Rance.

A lack of pace and strength is going to make life for an AFL defender difficult.

Post Thanks / Like

A lack of pace and strength is going to make life for an AFL defender difficult.
    It's why he was great in the grand final; we slowed down their ball movement which let him not be exploited for pace so that he could spoil the ball away.
    He still has his weaknesses but he's probably a Bulldog for life because he knows his role, is good enough to come in and play it but isn't a big enough star to attract many offers.

edit: The perceived height is actually why Roberts is a far better player than Michael Talia. Outside of the fact that Talia was thick as two planks while Roberts has a lot of football IQ, Talia had little t-rex arms which limited how effective he could be in the air while Roberts could sneak an arm in.

13. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a massive bag of tricks. Just dont see him as a guy that will out right win the footy and create opportunities offensively with his hand/foot skills. More likely to get himself into good positions and halve a contest aerially. Tie up more talented opponents. Chase, block space etc.he can do that and do it well.

15. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fletch has proven he can play a role. Played all his junior career in the forward line so could be the perfect swingman. A solid citizen I hope he can make one of the positions in the team his own. Time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    He still has his weaknesses but he's probably a Bulldog for life because he knows his role, is good enough to come in and play it but isn't a big enough star to attract many offers.
    Really? If he wasn't re-signed at the mid point of the year (which was premature) given his poor back half of the year he probably would've been delisted given a raw 18 yo was given preference to a role in defence.

As mentioned Fletch's lack of pace, physical attributes and lack of physicality in the contest means he is going to be up against it to forge out a successful career at the club and starts 2018 a long way back.. will watch with interest to how he shapes up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Really? If he wasn't re-signed at the mid point of the year (which was premature) given his poor back half of the year he probably would've been delisted given a raw 18 yo was given preference to a role in defence.
    He's dirt cheap and knows his position. Getting someone in for a similar price is tough since they'll have to learn new systems and if they're as cheap as Roberts then they're not going to be particularly good.

Post Thanks / Like

2018 will be his make or break season imo, I hope he makes it, seems a decent young bloke.

Post Thanks / Like

He's up against it.

He's not quick and he's not strong - you're giving a lot away as a key defender with those two disadvantages.

Cuts angles and reads the play well, uses the pill pretty well but there's a lot of competition for spots. Trengove, Adams, Cordy and Morris are all well ahead. I think Roberts is ahead of Young and Collins despite the backend of last year, but I also expect those two to improve. Particularly Collins - it's his last chance. I wouldn't be surprised if Naughton overtakes all three of them (Young, Collins and Roberts).

21. Likes Testekill, Dry Rot liked this post