Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  45
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can Fletcher Roberts bounce back and take a key role in Defence?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Particularly Collins - it's his last chance.
    Just turned 20 years old and Lewis Young almost exactly a year younger. Both have birthdays in December and Naughton a further year back, born in November.

I think we give them a couple of more years before they make an impact
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He's up against it.

He's not quick and he's not strong - you're giving a lot away as a key defender with those two disadvantages.

Cuts angles and reads the play well, uses the pill pretty well but there's a lot of competition for spots. Trengove, Adams, Cordy and Morris are all well ahead. I think Roberts is ahead of Young and Collins despite the backend of last year, but I also expect those two to improve. Particularly Collins - it's his last chance. I wouldn't be surprised if Naughton overtakes all three of them (Young, Collins and Roberts).
    Particularly harsh on Collins I would have thought. I know he looks older than his years but he should be given this year and maybe next to measure up.

I don't mind having Roberts on the list despite his limitations. He was unlucky to be dropped last year when he was but unless all the other key defenders stand up this year he's not a bad insurance option to cover a key defensive or even a key forward role.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

3. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interestingly though Fletcher polled well in the best and fairest right up until 2 rounds before he was dropped, so the coaches obviously like him when he is playing.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Interestingly though Fletcher polled well in the best and fairest right up until 2 rounds before he was dropped, so the coaches obviously like him when he is playing.
    It was a strange omission because after a good start he was dropped based on 2 average weeks.
    Never the less it's now on him to get back into the side and with Adams returning, the recruitment of Trengove and a bit of excitement around Lewis Young let alone Cordy, Morris and Wood etc he has some work to do in an effort to establish himself as a senior player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Particularly harsh on Collins I would have thought. I know he looks older than his years but he should be given this year and maybe next to measure up.

I don't mind having Roberts on the list despite his limitations. He was unlucky to be dropped last year when he was but unless all the other key defenders stand up this year he's not a bad insurance option to cover a key defensive or even a key forward role.
    I don't want us keeping Collins just because he's tall. He needs to show something this year, even if it means becoming a very good VFL defender. I'm not concerned if he doesn't play 10+ AFL games, but he absolutely needs to make strides forward and particularly in the areas that he has struggled.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want us keeping Collins just because he's tall. He needs to show something this year, even if it means becoming a very good VFL defender. I'm not concerned if he doesn't play 10+ AFL games, but he absolutely needs to make strides forward and particularly in the areas that he has struggled.
    From all reports he's already there as of the 2nd half of last year. Even doing a decent job on smaller blokes when required.

Post Thanks / Like

So do we put Tim English under the same microscope at the end of this year or do we acknowledge that the taller players take time?
    I think English is actually older than Collins FWIW

I agree Collins has to start showing some signs but I think some expectations on longer term project players can be premature.

Post Thanks / Like

So do we put Tim English under the same microscope at the end of this year or do we acknowledge that the taller players take time?

I agree Collins has to start showing some signs but I think some expectations on longer term project players can be premature.
    English has already shown more than Collins in the little he's played IMO. He's also a lot less physically developed.

I don't mind taking a longer term view if the players warrant it - ie. Bailey Dale to a degree. We knew Dale was going to take longer than Daniel, McLean and Webb. At this stage, albeit not watching him closely, I haven't seen a lot to suggest Collins has a certain future in the game.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been thinking about this. In this circumstance when we compare player's development what's more important do you think-length of time on a list or a player's age? I think it should tend more towards the length of time on the list. Anyway I think you're right we should be taking a longer term view of Collins' development. He's not immune from expectation but I think we are going to have to give him some time to learn his craft. I think of the two that English will establish himself first.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I think English is actually older than Collins FWIW .
    Tim is 4 months older.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Collins did show improvement last season in the VFL.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I thought Collins did show improvement last season in the VFL.
    Yeah I thought that Collins was actually looking pretty damn good before his season ended due to injury.

Post Thanks / Like

Well Roberts had a shocking year playing only one or two games. Where to from here?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Well Roberts had a shocking year playing only one or two games. Where to from here?
    See out another contracted year. Bank the Cheques. Send love heart emojis to JMac on messenger. Same same.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He's a back up player at the moment and can probably play a bit at both ends of the ground when needed.

I'm not sure what he needs to do to be a regular senior footballer again but he's a great bloke to have at the club and it goes without saying that he needs to make the most of any chances he gets.

17. Likes Testekill liked this post