Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  45
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can Fletcher Roberts bounce back and take a key role in Defence?

If all goes well and badly at the same time, retained on the list he could play a final.

The thing about Fletch is you know what you're going to get. In 2015 against Tex with our whole ground defencive structures in the shit Fletch was always going to have a bad time.

In 2016 when our full ground defencive structure was amazing Fletch was good enough to fit in that structure.

He's an exceptionally talented tall player with limited athletic capabilities. He's not going to get worse as he gets older, just maybe slower and he isn't there yet.

If we're a well structured and well performed side next year, he'll be a more than reasonable back up if called upon.

I get that shite players sometimes play in flags in bit part roles, but respect needs to be given to Fletch for what he did in a well structured campaign to bring us the ultimate success. He isn't s shit player.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

2. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    If all goes well and badly at the same time, retained on the list he could play a final.

The thing about Fletch is you know what you're going to get. In 2015 against Tex with our whole ground defencive structures in the shit Fletch was always going to have a bad time.

In 2016 when our full ground defencive structure was amazing Fletch was good enough to fit in that structure.

He's an exceptionally talented tall player with limited athletic capabilities. He's not going to get worse as he gets older, just maybe slower and he isn't there yet.

If we're a well structured and well performed side next year, he'll be a more than reasonable back up if called upon.

I get that shite players sometimes play in flags in bit part roles, but respect needs to be given to Fletch for what he did in a well structured campaign to bring us the ultimate success. He isn't s shit player.
    He's not a good mover around the ground and has never been able to get his aerobic base as high as it needs to be. He has learned to cut angles because when matched against the more mobile forwards he simply struggles to keep up with them. He's also not physically strong either and can get pushed aside.
    Having said all that he's worth having on the list because he can come in and play a few positions for us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Be nice to see him take another step forward. He has all the physical attributes to be a handy player but seems he struggles with the footy side - how to position, where to run, decision making under pressure etc - just looks a little lost out there. If it clicked for him then surely he could find a regular spot in the 22. With Adams gone it’s 2019 or never

5. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He is an honest trier and glad he has a premiership medal, Very much a fringe player however and this year is make or break.

Post Thanks / Like

Fletch needs the assistance of well performed, and well-organised troops around him. He's an adequate foot soldier on those terms, but as we've seen struggles at the top level if not afforded those luxuries.

A key defender who's too slight for the big blokes and too slow for the quick blokes isn't quite the prototype for the modern game.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

8. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Having watched him play a number of VFL games in 2018, I thiink Fletch still has a lot to offer our AFL team
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to see Fletch have a breakout year in 2019. It maybe his last chance. Come what may I will always remember him for one thing. In the dying minutes of the 2016 Prelim it was his kick out of defence, under pressure, that both cleared the area and went down the line to a contest from where it went oob. We won the clearance, the ball ended up with Stringer who headed goal-wards before centering the ball to Dickson and the supporters were roaring before Sicko wrapped his arms around the pill. Magic moment from the best game I've ever seen. Thanks Fletch.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

11. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

With the greatest respect to Fletch, if Naughton, Cordy, Morris, Wood, Young & Trengove remain as group relatively fit. I can't see him playing next year. I hope he suddenly turns into a new and better player, but there are now many better options. He's on the list and I wish him well, but I'm not prepared to bet with anyone's money that he will have a good year and will be re-contracted.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

If Boyd is a ruck, I wonder if either Young or Fletch get a chance to shine as a second tall forward along with Schache. We could do worse than putting some time into this over summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Always wondered why we didn’t try him in attack or even a modern Mobil ruckman. He has beautiful skills just a bit slow. I would love to see him tried as a FP like the resting ruckman used to do he could bag a sneaky few in behind Boyd

Post Thanks / Like

Will Fletch ever get a call up. Stuck on 49 games after how many seasons?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Will Fletch ever get a call up. Stuck on 49 games after how many seasons?
    See Campbell & Roughead.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Spoke to my cousin last night who said he spoke to Chris Maple before last weeks game in WA and asked about Roberts and Schache. Maple was quite blunt. Said Roberts is a good mark but it is below his knees he has problems. Said Schache was dropped purely on effort alone not form.

18. Thanks Mofra, Rocket Science, bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You know the season's tracking beautifully when we're musing about Fletcher Roberts being part of the panacea.

He was a serviceable soldier in '16 with a power of quality work being done around him in support.

He sure as hell wouldn't get that in '19.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    You know the season's tracking beautifully when we're musing about Fletcher Roberts being part of the panacea.

He was a serviceable soldier in '16 with a power of quality work being done around him in support.

He sure as hell wouldn't get that in '19.
    It is possible for him to get better. I would hope all players of his age would get better or be working to get better each season, and in an inexperienced side, perhaps his relative experience would help at the moment.