Post Thanks / Like

AFLW 2018 - Round 1 v Freo

AFLW Round 1 – Western Bulldogs v Fremantle
    Sunday 4th February
    Victoria University Whitten Oval
    Gates open 3:00pm
    AFLW First Bounce 4:35pm
    FREE ENTRY

Come along and support the Western Bulldogs AFL Women’s team at the first match of the AFLW season where they will take on Fremantle. Embrace the summer weather and get a group of friends or the family together to join in on the ultimate celebration of women in sport. There will be plenty of on-ground and pre-match entertainment so be sure to get along before the first bounce.

MATCH DAY FAQ'S: Got any questions about what to expect at an AFL Women's Match Day? Or the facilities at VU Whitten Oval? We have answers here.

Fan Zone
    It’s more than just a football match so make sure you check out the fan zone featuring loads of activations and activities to entertain the whole family.

• PricelinePharmacy Health & Beauty Lounge where you can try your luck at ten-pin bowling, charge your phone and simply relax
    • Ride the waves and show your grit and determination like Moana on the mechanical surfboard
    • Face painting, football drills and activities
    • Sports Agility Course
    • Entertainment from the Beats by Bob Jane DJ
    • Pancake Parlour Photobooth
    • Real Strength Van featuring giveaways, a chill-out zone and photo booth
    • Free ice cream from Bulla and so much more

Food Truck Park
    If you are feeling peckish there will be a range of food trucks including Biggie Smalls, Gringo Grill, Mamma Van, Farang Thai Grill and Hot Dog Dynasty. Plus, there’ll be a Cape Grim BBQ and Barkers Café where you can grab a hot dog and pie.

Two Birds Brewery Bar
    A range of boutique beers can be purchased from the Two Birds Brewery Bar including the all new ‘’Trail Blazer’, a crisp, clear and refreshing beer brewed with the best Australian malt and hops developed in partnership with the Western Bulldogs.

The Garden presented by Two Birds
    If you’re looking for a VIP match day experience, then the ‘The Garden’ presented by Two Birds Brewing is the place to be. Located on the playing arena, you’ll be treated to a boundary line view of the field, a drinks package inclusive of Two Birds Brewing premium beers, wine and cider as well as a footy fare throughout the duration of the game.
    Tickets $90 per person, with spaces strictly limited. For more information, or to book online, click here.

Getting there

Train
    VU Whitten Oval is a short stroll from West Footscray station - on the Sunbury/Watergardens line.

Tram
    By tram from the city, catch the #57 West Maribyrnong service.

The #57 links at Maribyrnong Road with the #82, which passes within a one-kilometre walk of the ground.

Bus

Routes: 410; Sunshine – Footscray, 411; Laverton Railway Station - Altona Meadows – Altona – Footscray (via Millers Road), 412; Laverton - Altona Meadows – Altona – Footscray (via Mills Street), 414; Laverton - Footscray 472 - Williamstown - Moonee Ponds via Footscray. Stops a street away from the ground on Geelong Road. 220 - Sunshine - Gardenvale via City & Footscray. Stops outside the ground in Barkly Street. 219 - Sunshine West - Gardenvale via City & Footscray. Stops around the corner from the ground on Barkly Street. 216 - Caroline Springs - Brighton Beach via City & Footscray. Stops around the corner from the ground on Barkly Street
    Last edited by bornadog; 01-02-2018 at 02:33 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFLW 2018 - Round 1 v Freo

I thought that our depleted team did really well against a Carlton side that had a full team. Freo however looked pretty strong against Adelaide also so it's tough to call how it will go.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone going?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: AFLW 2018 - Round 1 v Freo

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Anyone going?

Are you kidding? ITS FOOTBALL OF COURSE WE ARE GOING!!!!!!!!

H and I will be honouring everyone with our presence...

Gotta love it!
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

5. Likes SonofScray, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure am. Will be yelling my head off with anyone else who turns up from cheer squad. Looks like club have put a bit of effort into catering for young families. I recall scoffing down a few free Bulla ice-creams last year and looks like they are doing the same this year. Weather looks appealing too. Keen on seeing how the girls go this year, especially with a fit Brennan and some top draft picks. Should be exciting. Hope there are more goals this year (from us that is!!).
    Last edited by josie; 04-02-2018 at 09:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Full back A Utri A O'Connor L Birch
    Half back H Scott I Huntington B Lochland
    Centreline E Blackburn
    Half forward N Callinan B Toogood D Berry
    Full forward M Conti K Brennan J Bruton
    Followers T Ernst E Kearney A Gogos
    Interchange D Bannister K Lamb N Ferres
    L Spark E Mackie
    Emergencies H Wildes B Hunt
    New:
    J.Bruton (St.Kilda Sharks VFLW)
    A.Utri (Hockey)
    I.Huntington (Melbourne Uni VFLW)
    B.Toogood (Netball)
    D.Berry (Melbourne AFLW)
    M.Conti (Melbourne Uni VFLW)
    E.Mackie (Box Hill VFLW)
    D.Bannister (Launceston TSLW)
    Last edited by bornadog; 02-02-2018 at 06:09 PM.

8. Thanks Hotdog60 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Anyone going?
    Wife and kids will join the guard of honour to welcome the our team to the new season. Hope we'll have a decent year with the female team.
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

Post Thanks / Like

Taking my daughter. Between this and the VFL, it makes me so happy to be able to take her to Whitten Oval to watch the Bulldogs. Just like my Dad and I (and the rest of my he family too!) when I was a kid in the late 80s/90s. I get very emotional about it. Coupled with the dreams being realised for these women to represent the Club and it is a really positive experience for all.

I want to be the first club to win the treble.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Taking my daughter. Between this and the VFL, it makes me so happy to be able to take her to Whitten Oval to watch the Bulldogs. Just like my Dad and I (and the rest of my he family too!) when I was a kid in the late 80s/90s. I get very emotional about it. Coupled with the dreams being realised for these women to represent the Club and it is a really positive experience for all.

I want to be the first club to win the treble.
    Me too. I want us to be the Notts Forrest of the AFL and I want Bevo to be our Brian Clough (obviously without the alcoholism and the early death).

And I'm 100% with you about the kids. It's a thrill taking your kids to the footy ground. It's a rite of passage for mine. My dad took me and I fell in love, his dad took him and he fell in love, his dad and so on. It's the one thing we can hand on to our kids and remain in the moment with them.

The only thing difference for us is that we get to offer our boys and our girls examples and heroes they can relate to. And a realistic chance of success.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a very good set up for families to go along and enjoy. I hope they do the same thing for the VFL season, too.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

All four Toasts will be there, can't wait!
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

Carn the Dogs!
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

15. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's great that the footy is upon us again.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Also worth checking out this if you want to learn more about the players (especially the new players).

Particularly excited for Naomi Ferres, a rookie selection who has come up through footy in the west and particularly the Spurs.
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding first half. Katie Brennan is a star
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

19. Likes Raw Toast liked this post