Likes Likes:  21
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFLW 2018 - Round 1 v Freo

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Outstanding first half. Katie Brennan is a star
    Just need to get the ball in her hands
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs 7.7 (49) def Fremantle 3.5 (23)

Great start to the season with a great win. Top of the ladder.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Thanks Eastdog, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Go Dogs!

Hopefully we get a run of wins now as we won our first AFLW game last year but after that it wasn't too good.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Fun afternoon. Club should be commended for how well they do the day. My kids loved it.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

6. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looked like a decent crowd there today from the news report I just saw before.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

That was pretty excellent - the skills have improved leaps and bounds.

Blackburn in particular has a beautiful kick. The 40m pass to the player running back to goal (which they unfortunately dropped) was as good as you'll see.

Pearce *might* be the better player, but no one in the AFLW is better to watch than Brennan.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

9. Likes Testekill, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm an eastern suburbs boy who never got to an AFL game at Whitten Oval, but nothing beats it.

My observations:
    - our short 15m kicks were exceptional. I haven't watched every game of AFLW but I'd be surprised if any other sides have been able to keep possession and work the ball by foot so well. Some of the ladies do struggle with disposal under pressure so having that extra time makes a big difference
    - our release handball out the back and positioning to allow it was fantastic.
    - pressure pressure pressure. Dropped off a bit in the second half, I assume because of a lack of fitness and the fact it was the first game.
    - KB is a star. Her set shots would have been missed by 80% of our men's team, and her lead up work was fantastic. Loved seeing her go in the middle at the start of the fourth after Freo got on top in the third. A great leader and role model.
    - Ellie Blackburn is my favourite player. Her ferocity combined with her speed and skill level make for a very dangerous player. 20+ touches, a bunch of tackles and a brilliant long goal had her as my BOG.
    - Conti, Issy and Toogood stood out to me from the new players - Toogood with a ripping contested mark on the wing and a goal a minute later!
    - Tiarna Ernst (i think thats who it was) has some serious toe on her for someone of her height. Two big sprints into the defensive 50.
    - Susan Alberti sitting in the Whitten Stand with the fans (as were Daisy Pearce and Mel Hickey) is further evidence of her humility. What a brilliant woman.

KB makes a massive difference to our side but I think our midfield has been strengthened and our skills have certainly improved. The next two weeks will be interesting against last year's grand finalists.

Also the Two Birds Trailblazer beer was a delight ����

11. Thanks GVGjr, bornadog, SonofScray, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs, Murphy'sLore, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Huge improvement on last year, passing hitting targets, marking and you could see a game plan.
    I was surprised how much improvement in a lot of games, sadly I think the first game Friday night was the worst skill wise and both them sides will struggle.
    One thing I did notice is the kicking actions vary incredibly and some are very bad, this would be something I would have thought they would have ironed out in training.
    The naturals have the proper kicking styles and distance.
    Love the game love the atmosphere and love seeing them improve.
    I'm not getting carried away just yet as I don't think freo are a good team but if they happen to be we are going to be unbeatable.
    Next week be a good test. Go dogs !
    Bring back the biff

13. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Could really note the improvement in game style. The over reliance on handball last year was ridiculous, quick ball movement by foot opened the game up for us and we hit the scoreboard accordingly. Good win.
    "Loves a scrap....oh yeah & he's a pretty handy footballer as well"

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of good things said about Huntington and Conti, not bad for first gamers. The commentary team mentioned their composure, which is not something easily taught. Excellent early signs for the pups.

I only caught the last quarter on a smart phone, but I thought we looked far less scrappy than some of the other AFLW quarters I caught this weekend.

And KB is just an out and out star, may she stay fit and healthy!
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Apart from the Bont KB may be the best player running around in R W & B this year.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

17. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Apart from the Bont KB may be the best player running around in R W & B this year.
    She really has some presence on the field

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    She really has some presence on the field

She does. She talks other players listen, we are very lucky that she plays for us. It was a tragedy she missed most of last season.

Post Thanks / Like

Groves game plan can pretty much just be "kick it to KB & get out of her way."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Groves game plan can pretty much just be "kick it to KB & get out of her way."
    The Brennan's paddock game plan.

22. Likes Testekill, Raw Toast liked this post