Thanks Thanks:  12

Interview With Naomi Ferres

I did this a while back, just after the rookie draft:

FERRES-Naomi.png

Number 16 for the Doggies is Naomi Ferres. Here’s her story:

BW Hey Nai, congratulations on being rookied last Friday.
    NF Thank you.
    BW Now, we've known each other, what, about 10 years?
    NF Yeah, I think so.
    BW (Naomi & my son Ryan played their junior footy & cricket together at Werribee Centrals).
    BW I know you've grown up & still live in Werribee with Mum, Dad & your younger sister. Fair to say they're your biggest fans? I don't reckon I've seen you play without them being there.
    NF Yeah, there's always at least one of them there, which is good having that support on the sidelines.
    BW What are some of your memories of those days at Werribee Centrals?
    NF It was quite physical playing against the boys.
    BW So, when did you stop playing against the boys?
    NF I could only play against the boys until I was 14, then I went to Wyndhamvale & played Youth Girls, where it was much less physical. Sadly some teams didn't have enough players back then & many games were forfeited.
    BW How did you end up at VU Western Spurs?
    NF My coach at Wyndhamvale Jess Heath, played at Spurs, so when I turned 18 a few of us from Wyndhamvale went there & played with Jess.
    BW You're currently at VU's Footscray Campus, what are you studying?
    NF I'm studying Nutrition & Food Science.
    BW Did you nominate for the inaugural AFLW Draft last year & did you talk to any clubs?
    NF Yes, I nominated & along with a few girls from Spurs we went to Ikon Park & spoke with Carlton.
    BW Did you expect to be drafted last year, or was it more a hope?
    NF I didn't think I'd be drafted, but there's that tiny bit of hope.
    BW Did not being drafted last year strengthen your resolve?
    NF Very much so. From November to January AFL Vic ran 2 academies, one in Essendon & one in Seaford. Every Tuesday I went to the one in Essendon with about 15 other girls where we did skills, running, gym etc.. & I used to buddy up with Reni Hicks who was drafted by Carlton.
    BW Now I got to know Reni a bit this season watching Diamond Creek & a bit like you, she's very quiet, there wouldn't have been much talking between the 2 of you!
    NF (laughs)
    BW OK, so season 2017. Did you do anything different at Spurs this season? Did you train differently or have a different role? What position do you play?
    NF I play in the midfield & had very specific instructions for stoppages. One game against Darebin, my coach Deb Lee told me to follow Daisy Pearce for a half.
    BW I was at that game, Katie Brennan was just starting to get going after injuring her ankle. How was it playing on Daisy?
    NF She's amazing, she gets to every contest & if you switch off for even a second, she's gone! I don't think I've ever concentrated so hard!
    BW Bit of an up & down season for Spurs, how do you think you went? I see you won the Most Improved. Congratulations on that.
    NF Thank you. I think my season was similar to Spurs, a bit up & down. Towards the end of the season I was tired & I struggled a bit late on after hurting my ankle in training.
    BW I spoke with your Dad when you played down at Geelong & he told me about your ankle. The ground that day was like concrete. That wouldn't have helped. It was the second time Ryan had umpired you & he was impressed with how well you moved with the ball in congested traffic.
    NF No, it was hard underfoot, not good with a sore ankle.
    BW Did you have a team mate you sought out for advice & looked up to at Spurs this season?
    NF Yes, our captain Bree White (Collingwood) & Shelley Scott (Melbourne) who are both midfielders & are physical & tough in their attack on the ball.
    BW Tell me a bit about your coach, Deb Lee, how did you find her?
    NF She's fantastic, a great coach who's so approachable & makes everyone feel comfortable.
    BW Prior to the draft, did you have much contact with any AFLW clubs?
    NF Yes, I had a medical with Melbourne & an interview with the Western Bulldogs.
    BW Now, you didn't receive an invite to the Draft Combine, did that worry you?
    NF Not overly as I was selected to play in the Young Guns game after the season. Damien Keeping (Carlton) was our coach that day. I played well & kicked a goal, so I thought I hadn't done my chances of being drafted any harm.
    BW OK, let’s go to draft day. Did you watch it online?
    NF Yes, I got home from Uni & watched it with my Mum.
    BW I guess you were hopeful that your name would be called out. When that didn't happen, what was your immediate thought?
    NF When the Western Bulldogs passed with their final pick, I thought, that's it, I'm not going to get drafted & was upset. Both Melbourne & the Western Bulldogs had mentioned that if I wasn't drafted then they'd look at selecting me in the Rookie Draft, but I really didn't want to have to wait for another 48 hours!
    BW I've seen the video of you being at the Western Bulldogs for the Rookie Draft, how did that all come about?
    NF 20 minutes after the draft finished, Mick Sandry from the Western Bulldogs rang me to say that the Bulldogs had the first Victorian pick in the Rookie Draft & they were committing to me.
    BW I guess you had to keep this quiet, which wouldn't be hard for you as anyone know knows you knows it's almost impossible to get a word out of you at the best of times!
    NF I was so excited, I wanted to tell everybody, but I couldn't.
    BW Were you allowed to tell the family? What was their reaction?
    NF Mum was home at the time & she was happy for me, as was my Dad when he got home from work. We picked my younger sister up from school & she started crying when I told her.
    BW I guess your Dad will now have to barrack for the Doggies in the AFLW & not Adelaide.
    NF True.
    BW Gotta admit Nai, I was at work & following it on Twitter & was absolutely rapt for you.
    NF Thank you.
    BW It's worked at well for you as The Western Bulldogs & VU Western Spurs are now aligned, so no need to change clubs or anything like that.
    NF Honestly, it couldn't have worked out better.
    BW As I said, I've known you for a long time & you're extremely level headed, so you'll just take this in your stride I'd imagine, but you must be proud & excited?
    NF Yes, very excited, I'm still pinching myself.
    BW The Western Bulldogs huh, who do you barrack for?
    NF You know that Barry, I've followed the Western Bulldogs all my life.
    BW I understand you went to the MCG & watched the Doggies win the flag in 2016.
    NF Yes, my Pa & Dad took my sister & I. A wonderful day!
    BW I'm sure you would have been thrilled to be on any club's list, but the fact it's the club you barrack for must make the whole experience surreal?
    NF Yes, very much so, still can't believe it!
    BW You're a rookie, what does that mean?
    NF I can only play if someone gets injured & I get upgraded to the Primary List.
    BW Given the quality of players who didn't get drafted, I guess you're not too concerned that you are a rookie? I mean, it's a foot in the door, isn't it?
    NF Absolutely. I now feel part of it. Last year I watched every AFLW game, but I felt I was on the outside looking in.
    BW So tell me, what are you most looking forward to?
    NF Just getting together with all my new team mates to start pre season training, I can't wait now!
    BW Is there someone at the Western Bulldogs you want to model yourself on with training, preparation etc...?
    NF Yes, I really want to learn as much as I can from 2 of the best mids in the comp; Emma Kearney & Ellie Blackburn. I know just training with them is going to improve my game.
    BW Have you been allocated a number?
    NF Yes, I've got number 16.
    BW I know it's only just happened, but what are your hopes & expectations for yourself in season 2 of AFLW?
    NF My hope is to make every post a winner & put my best foot forward. I'd love to get a game in 2018, so we'll see, but ideally I'd really love to learn, improve & be upgraded to the Primary List in 2019.
    BW Fingers crossed, you're very determined Nai & I know you'll give it everything. Gotta get me one of those number 16 badges now!
    NF Thanks Barry.

* Due to injuries Naomi was upgraded to the primary list this week & makes her AFLW this afternoon v Fremantle at the Whitten Oval.
    85, 92, 97, 98, 08, 09, 10... Break the curse!

Re: Interview With Naomi Ferres

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I did this a while back, just after the rookie draft:

FERRES-Naomi.png

Number 16 for the Doggies is Naomi Ferres. Here’s her story:

BW Hey Nai, congratulations on being rookied last Friday.
    NF Thank you.
    BW Now, we've known each other, what, about 10 years?
    NF Yeah, I think so.
    BW (Naomi & my son Ryan played their junior footy & cricket together at Werribee Centrals).
    BW I know you've grown up & still live in Werribee with Mum, Dad & your younger sister. Fair to say they're your biggest fans? I don't reckon I've seen you play without them being there.
    NF Yeah, there's always at least one of them there, which is good having that support on the sidelines.
    BW What are some of your memories of those days at Werribee Centrals?
    NF It was quite physical playing against the boys.
    BW So, when did you stop playing against the boys?
    NF I could only play against the boys until I was 14, then I went to Wyndhamvale & played Youth Girls, where it was much less physical. Sadly some teams didn't have enough players back then & many games were forfeited.
    BW How did you end up at VU Western Spurs?
    NF My coach at Wyndhamvale Jess Heath, played at Spurs, so when I turned 18 a few of us from Wyndhamvale went there & played with Jess.
    BW You're currently at VU's Footscray Campus, what are you studying?
    NF I'm studying Nutrition & Food Science.
    BW Did you nominate for the inaugural AFLW Draft last year & did you talk to any clubs?
    NF Yes, I nominated & along with a few girls from Spurs we went to Ikon Park & spoke with Carlton.
    BW Did you expect to be drafted last year, or was it more a hope?
    NF I didn't think I'd be drafted, but there's that tiny bit of hope.
    BW Did not being drafted last year strengthen your resolve?
    NF Very much so. From November to January AFL Vic ran 2 academies, one in Essendon & one in Seaford. Every Tuesday I went to the one in Essendon with about 15 other girls where we did skills, running, gym etc.. & I used to buddy up with Reni Hicks who was drafted by Carlton.
    BW Now I got to know Reni a bit this season watching Diamond Creek & a bit like you, she's very quiet, there wouldn't have been much talking between the 2 of you!
    NF (laughs)
    BW OK, so season 2017. Did you do anything different at Spurs this season? Did you train differently or have a different role? What position do you play?
    NF I play in the midfield & had very specific instructions for stoppages. One game against Darebin, my coach Deb Lee told me to follow Daisy Pearce for a half.
    BW I was at that game, Katie Brennan was just starting to get going after injuring her ankle. How was it playing on Daisy?
    NF She's amazing, she gets to every contest & if you switch off for even a second, she's gone! I don't think I've ever concentrated so hard!
    BW Bit of an up & down season for Spurs, how do you think you went? I see you won the Most Improved. Congratulations on that.
    NF Thank you. I think my season was similar to Spurs, a bit up & down. Towards the end of the season I was tired & I struggled a bit late on after hurting my ankle in training.
    BW I spoke with your Dad when you played down at Geelong & he told me about your ankle. The ground that day was like concrete. That wouldn't have helped. It was the second time Ryan had umpired you & he was impressed with how well you moved with the ball in congested traffic.
    NF No, it was hard underfoot, not good with a sore ankle.
    BW Did you have a team mate you sought out for advice & looked up to at Spurs this season?
    NF Yes, our captain Bree White (Collingwood) & Shelley Scott (Melbourne) who are both midfielders & are physical & tough in their attack on the ball.
    BW Tell me a bit about your coach, Deb Lee, how did you find her?
    NF She's fantastic, a great coach who's so approachable & makes everyone feel comfortable.
    BW Prior to the draft, did you have much contact with any AFLW clubs?
    NF Yes, I had a medical with Melbourne & an interview with the Western Bulldogs.
    BW Now, you didn't receive an invite to the Draft Combine, did that worry you?
    NF Not overly as I was selected to play in the Young Guns game after the season. Damien Keeping (Carlton) was our coach that day. I played well & kicked a goal, so I thought I hadn't done my chances of being drafted any harm.
    BW OK, let’s go to draft day. Did you watch it online?
    NF Yes, I got home from Uni & watched it with my Mum.
    BW I guess you were hopeful that your name would be called out. When that didn't happen, what was your immediate thought?
    NF When the Western Bulldogs passed with their final pick, I thought, that's it, I'm not going to get drafted & was upset. Both Melbourne & the Western Bulldogs had mentioned that if I wasn't drafted then they'd look at selecting me in the Rookie Draft, but I really didn't want to have to wait for another 48 hours!
    BW I've seen the video of you being at the Western Bulldogs for the Rookie Draft, how did that all come about?
    NF 20 minutes after the draft finished, Mick Sandry from the Western Bulldogs rang me to say that the Bulldogs had the first Victorian pick in the Rookie Draft & they were committing to me.
    BW I guess you had to keep this quiet, which wouldn't be hard for you as anyone know knows you knows it's almost impossible to get a word out of you at the best of times!
    NF I was so excited, I wanted to tell everybody, but I couldn't.
    BW Were you allowed to tell the family? What was their reaction?
    NF Mum was home at the time & she was happy for me, as was my Dad when he got home from work. We picked my younger sister up from school & she started crying when I told her.
    BW I guess your Dad will now have to barrack for the Doggies in the AFLW & not Adelaide.
    NF True.
    BW Gotta admit Nai, I was at work & following it on Twitter & was absolutely rapt for you.
    NF Thank you.
    BW It's worked at well for you as The Western Bulldogs & VU Western Spurs are now aligned, so no need to change clubs or anything like that.
    NF Honestly, it couldn't have worked out better.
    BW As I said, I've known you for a long time & you're extremely level headed, so you'll just take this in your stride I'd imagine, but you must be proud & excited?
    NF Yes, very excited, I'm still pinching myself.
    BW The Western Bulldogs huh, who do you barrack for?
    NF You know that Barry, I've followed the Western Bulldogs all my life.
    BW I understand you went to the MCG & watched the Doggies win the flag in 2016.
    NF Yes, my Pa & Dad took my sister & I. A wonderful day!
    BW I'm sure you would have been thrilled to be on any club's list, but the fact it's the club you barrack for must make the whole experience surreal?
    NF Yes, very much so, still can't believe it!
    BW You're a rookie, what does that mean?
    NF I can only play if someone gets injured & I get upgraded to the Primary List.
    BW Given the quality of players who didn't get drafted, I guess you're not too concerned that you are a rookie? I mean, it's a foot in the door, isn't it?
    NF Absolutely. I now feel part of it. Last year I watched every AFLW game, but I felt I was on the outside looking in.
    BW So tell me, what are you most looking forward to?
    NF Just getting together with all my new team mates to start pre season training, I can't wait now!
    BW Is there someone at the Western Bulldogs you want to model yourself on with training, preparation etc...?
    NF Yes, I really want to learn as much as I can from 2 of the best mids in the comp; Emma Kearney & Ellie Blackburn. I know just training with them is going to improve my game.
    BW Have you been allocated a number?
    NF Yes, I've got number 16.
    BW I know it's only just happened, but what are your hopes & expectations for yourself in season 2 of AFLW?
    NF My hope is to make every post a winner & put my best foot forward. I'd love to get a game in 2018, so we'll see, but ideally I'd really love to learn, improve & be upgraded to the Primary List in 2019.
    BW Fingers crossed, you're very determined Nai & I know you'll give it everything. Gotta get me one of those number 16 badges now!
    NF Thanks Barry.

* Due to injuries Naomi was upgraded to the primary list this week & makes her AFLW this afternoon v Fremantle at the Whitten Oval.
    Thanks CD, I love reading your interviews.

Thank you for posting -Keep them coming so we get to know the Women.
    Last edited by bornadog; 04-02-2018 at 09:49 PM.

Naomi had a good debut

Great to hear from you TCD.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Copped a big tackle in the early moments but was a good contributor throughout the game. I imagine you would have been very proud watching on TCD.