Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  5
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFLW 2018 - Round 2 v Brisbane

The increase in kicking skills, the improved teamwork, the decision making, the game plan, the pressure on the opposition, the general lift in individual talent........really pleasing to watch. Last year we had about six individual stars and little else. Huntington doesn’t do her knee and we would premiership favourites.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

2. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I doubt there is much the AFL can do about it.

It is common knowledge across all sports that women are more susceptible to ACL and other ligament/tendon issues (some say 4-6 times more than men). There are theories as to why including the simple fact that women and men have different physiology (such as females having increased flexibility due to more estrogen and realxin, leading to ligaments/tendons being put under more extreme strain and the fact they have a smaller intercondylar notch - the groove in the femur through which the ACL passes).

Here is a University of Colorado report which discuss it:

http://www.ucdenver.edu/academics/colleges/medicalschool/departments/Orthopaedics/clinicalservices/sportsmed/Documents/WISH_SPORTSMED_Female%20Knee%20Injuries%20and%20ACL.pdf

Anecdotally, just about every female netballer I know has either done a knee or an achilles at some point.

Thanks. I never knew that and quite interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

WESTERN BULLDOGS0.1 4.2 4.2 5.3 (33)BRISBANE LIONS 0.2 0.3 1.4 3.6 (24)

GOALS -
    Western Bulldogs: I Huntington 2, A Utri, H Scott, J Bruton.

BEST

Western Bulldogs: Lamb, Kearney, Bruton, Blackburn.

CROWD: About 5300 at South Pine Sports Complex.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Yeah, slightly smaller i believe GVG.

I don't know why but the low scoring doesn't bother me. i know i'm probably in the minority. I just love the contest. As long as the dogs win 2 points to 1, i would be ok with it.
    Me too, I love the way the girls contest the footy. They really go hard at the contest. There were a few incidents last season that I was surprised didn't go to the MRP.

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Without delving into gender politics too much, this is the sort of thing that makes the decision to allow/disallow transgender females to play against biological females such a tricky one.
    It's a good point.

Quote Originally Posted by HOSE B ROMERO View Post
    Bonnie Toogood has been really good.
    Just Too good...

Actually "just" would be a great nickname with a surname like Toogood.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

7. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Further to Comrade's post:

Women 'five times more likely' to rupture ACLs

AFLW players are about five times more likely to rupture an anterior cruciate ligament than their male counterparts, leading sports medico Peter Brukner says.

The opening two weeks of the NAB AFLW season have been blighted by a spate of season-ending knee injuries.

Western Bulldog Daria Bannister ruptured an ACL in round one and Carlton captain Brianna Davey suffered the same injury last Friday night against Greater Western Sydney.

Bulldogs youngster Isabel Huntington also suffered a serious knee injury in Sunday's win over Brisbane, with scans expected to confirm she too has ruptured an ACL.

Brukner told RSN radio on Monday morning this run of knee injuries could largely be explained by the fact women are significantly more vulnerable to ACL ruptures than men.

"(Women) are something like five times more likely to tear their (anterior) cruciate than their male counterparts with equivalent activity," Brukner said.

"There are number of reasons for it. The main reason is just mechanics, in that females have a wide pelvis and therefore are more bow-legged.

"There's more of an inclination for their knees to fall in when they twist, so that makes them more susceptible to doing an anterior cruciate.

"That's pretty well recognised the world over. There's a lot of research that's come out of female handball players in Scandinavian countries and female soccer players in the US."

Brukner said women's sporting teams now put a lot of emphasis on teaching landing techniques that could help prevent ACL injuries, with players instructed to land with their knees flexed rather than locked.

9. Thanks bornadog, HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We're a good short kicking side. Keep the ball wide and go via the cape, a la Malthouse style footy.

11. Likes Testekill liked this post