Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  19
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The AFLW Memo

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The AFLW Memo

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    The thing that strikes me the most about this memo us that AFL House were arrogant enough to think that it would stay in house.

Did Steve Hocking stop and think, even for a second "how will this read on the back page of both Melbourne papers?"

Bang on. Apart from anything else if he is so stupid that didn't occur to him I don't want him involved in the organisation or administration of football. The AFL need to learn they are just the AFL, not the game.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I kind of understand both sides of the argument. Obviously the quality won't be there as it is brand new and women haven't been able to play football past the age of 15 for a long long time but the consequence of that is that the standard is "poor"

I think the AFL hyped it a little too much initially and as such people are now criticising it too much.

It needs time and perhaps some tweaks to ball size and ground size but coaches should be allowed to coach to win and players to do the same.

It's still very much SEMI professional and in need of time.
    Yeah, I agree with your post and can also see both sides of the argument.

It is in everyone's interest for the women's game to grow to a point where the women can earn a living from playing the game in the future. As much as there is an ok following AT games right now (which are free to attend) - but the audience for the game is still very very limited.

As much as all the teams are playing to win - there is clearly a bigger picture that the people in the women's game have to be conscious of. Flooding backlines and packing up the stoppages - when the players are not yet adept enough to work around those tactics - does nothing for enhancing the product in its early, developmental stages.

Post Thanks / Like

Also it's easy to say "well if you don't like it, don't watch it" but is that actually what we want to happen?

This current game is unwatchable for me and i don't think that's a positive no matter how it's spun and seeing players flood the backline and then not be able to counter attack is kind of pointless

Post Thanks / Like

Also it's easy to say "well if you don't like it, don't watch it" but is that actually what we want to happen?

This current game is unwatchable for me and i don't think that's a positive no matter how it's spun and seeing players flood the backline and then not be able to counter attack is kind of pointless
    you can’t change that with rule changes unless you change the game dramatically then it is not football
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    you can’t change that with rule changes unless you change the game dramatically then it is not football
    No rule changes necessary just need coaches to coach skills not tactics

Post Thanks / Like

The thing about wanting to force a more open game is fine and dandy but percentage means basically SFA in AFLW because the season is only 8 games long including the grand final. Who bother stacking on percentage when it's easier to protect a lead?

Post Thanks / Like

No rule changes necessary just need coaches to coach skills not tactics
    The 3+2 rule will help though...
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    The 3+2 rule will help though...
    Then there will be more whinging and more changes. Getting away from football

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Then there will be more whinging and more changes. Getting away from football
    It HAS helped at u18 level. It would help AFLW. It isn’t rule for the AFL - that is elite competition,win at all costs but AFLW has other responsibilities...

Opening up numbers around stoppages and mandating a forward ‘structure’ is maintained will help. The coaches won’t do it otherwise and the game as it stands is a series of rolling mails and the player don’t have the ball handling or kicking skills to break it open...some of them have only been playing for 12-months.

I watch because it is footy but at this stage of the games development it should be about enabling skills to develop (and shine) and encouraging team play...that isn’t happening right now.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

11. Likes Topdog, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    It HAS helped at u18 level. It would help AFLW. It isn’t rule for the AFL - that is elite competition,win at all costs but AFLW has other responsibilities...

Opening up numbers around stoppages and mandating a forward ‘structure’ is maintained will help. The coaches won’t do it otherwise and the game as it stands is a series of rolling mails and the player don’t have the ball handling or kicking skills to break it open...some of them have only been playing for 12-months.

I watch because it is footy but at this stage of the games development it should be about enabling skills to develop (and shine) and encouraging team play...that isn’t happening right now.
    Heard Mick McGuane suggest that while it has been handy, it has had consequences for development too. You aren't getting a look at talent in situations that will arise at AFL level. Maybe it came up in conversations about Shache. Creates a bit of a false economy for assessing talent and developing skills.

I have no opinion one way or another n the current style of play, it's just footy to me. Just that the introduction of rules to manufacture a particular look is a terrible strategy and not one that should be allowed to be employed by the AFL. It creates a chain of unintended consequences which generates the need for further intervention. Then trends and attitudes shift and it gets even messier.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    Heard Mick McGuane suggest that while it has been handy, it has had consequences for development too. You aren't getting a look at talent in situations that will arise at AFL level. Maybe it came up in conversations about Shache. Creates a bit of a false economy for assessing talent and developing skills.

I have no opinion one way or another n the current style of play, it's just footy to me. Just that the introduction of rules to manufacture a particular look is a terrible strategy and not one that should be allowed to be employed by the AFL. It creates a chain of unintended consequences which generates the need for further intervention. Then trends and attitudes shift and it gets even messier.
    Yep. If we want to completely destroy our game in the long term just for some short term television benefit. And we don't run our game so it looks good on TV. That's not why we make rule changes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Yep. If we want to completely destroy our game in the long term just for some short term television benefit. And we don't run our game so it looks good on TV. That's not why we make rule changes.
    I'd argue that what's being played at the moment isn't our game. It's basically rugby. Forcing coaches to not flood will be a big improvement

Post Thanks / Like

I'd argue that what's being played at the moment isn't our game. It's basically rugby. Forcing coaches to not flood will be a big improvement

How would they operate? If they are just positions that players have to start in when the umpire bounces the ball in the middle of the ground then I don't have a problem, we have a form of that already with only 4 players in the centre circle at cebtre bounces.

I hate the idea of forwards not being able to move into other areas of the ground or defenders not being allowed to run the length of the ground or centreline players not being free to roam everywhere and drop back to defend or run forward of the play to create options though. I think ruck nominating is enough of a restriction and a limit to players freedom as it is and dislike it intensely.

Post Thanks / Like

May as well have zones then

Post Thanks / Like

May as well have zones then
    The way TAC teams approach the game makes for a good spectacle and they don't flood.
    I don't like changes to the rules or changes to the the umpire interpretations once the season has started. Let the game evolve and then have a clear set of rules and changes at least 4 months before the season starts so that the coaches and players can make the adjustments.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

18. Likes Topdog liked this post