Likes Likes:  43
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Simon Dalrymple is gone

Mitch Cleary

@cleary_mitch
    57m57 minutes ago
    More
    Dogs in early stages of process to replace Simon Dalrymple as recruiting boss.

Keep an eye on Chris Liberatore from the Saints. Understand he's a man of interest. Current state recruiting manager. Link to CEO Ameet Bains. Step-son of Tony, brother of Tom. @SportsdayRadio

2. Thanks Twodogs, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Mitch Cleary

@cleary_mitch
    57m57 minutes ago
    More

Keep an eye on Chris Liberatore from the Saints. Understand he's a man of interest. Current state recruiting manager. Link to CEO Ameet Bains. Step-son of Tony, brother of Tom. @SportsdayRadio
    Any background on him at all , not family of course :-). His work and success in jobs.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Mitch Cleary

@cleary_mitch
    57m57 minutes ago
    More

Interesting. I wonder if the F/S scheme could extend out to drafting and recruiting.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Any background on him at all , not family of course :-). His work and success in jobs.
    Recruiter Insight: Chris Liberatore

Ahead of next Friday night's NAB AFL Draft, where St Kilda holds picks No. 7, No. 8, No. 34 and No. 45, saints.com.au has received an insight into the world of list management from the recruiting team at Linen House Centre.

What is your pathway to recruiting at the Saints?

Started at the club on a part-time basis in 2009 in my final year of completing an Exercise Science degree.

How many years have you worked at the club and in recruiting?

Started in 2009 part-time and then became full-time at the start of 2011.

What states or territories do you cover?

I manage Victoria but as we all do, I attend games and interview players from all over the country.

Who was the best player recruited from your region in 2016?

Andrew McGrath (Pick No. 1, Essendon)

How many interstate trips have you been on this year?

20 - SA x 8, WA x 6, NT x 1, QLD x 2, NSW x 2, TAS x 1 plus USA trip for the AFL Academy Camp in January

How many games have you watched this year?

Somewhere between 110-120 including practice matches.

How many prospective recruits have you interviewed?

Personally maybe 60 players but some have been 2 to 4 times.

Who is the best player you have seen at the age of 18?

Steven Coniglio - Greater Western Sydney

What is the most important attribute you look for in a recruit and why?

Character – determines how much a player will improve and get the most out of their talents.
    Which current Saint did you watch play the most before he was drafted?

Seb Ross - pick No. 25, 2011

Was there a moment with that player that stands out in his draft year?

He played for North Ballarat Rebels late in the season when most of the better players were missing for the Rebels due to the Herald Sun Shield final and he was playing against a strong Calder team. As a lone hand, he really stood up and worked as hard as I’d ever seen him and was very impressive overall.

Who is the best value pick on St Kilda’s list?

Jack Newnes – pick 37. After playing seven games in his first year, he has played 106 out of his next possible 110 games across the next five seasons.

How important is the interview process in evaluating a prospective recruit?

Very. It helps get a feel for the person and not just the player, as well as a better understand of his background, family and overall character.

How would you describe Tony Elshaug?

Relentless

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-1...ris-liberatore

6. Thanks Max469, Prince Imperial, ratsmac, Mofra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well we don't have to worry about Scott Clayton coming back, he's taken a role with WCE in a more admin style role in their Melbourne office.

8. Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    Well we don't have to worry about Scott Clayton coming back, he's taken a role with WCE in a more admin style role in their Melbourne office.
    He is probably perfectly suited to that. Clayton has had a long career as recruiter and list manager but lets face it he fell short on delivery.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    He is probably perfectly suited to that. Clayton has had a long career as recruiter and list manager but lets face it he fell short on delivery.

He had those draft concessions at Brisbane that he made his reputation off. He spent the pucks pretty well, they won 3 flags in a row.

Then that first draft with us that went pretty well but it was downhill (the same way the skiers he recruited went) after that.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    He had those draft concessions at Brisbane that he made his reputation off. He spent the pucks pretty well, they won 3 flags in a row.

Then that first draft with us that went pretty well but it was downhill (the same way the skiers he recruited went) after that.
    I always thought he was better than average with later picks. Burning many years of first rounders in a row killed him, although he did get the Cooney/Farren ray draft right (the other players were mostly awful that year).
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Are we starting to really feel this loss now with the state of our list?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

No, I don't think so. We almost won the grand final last year.

There is something not right at the club. Not sure what it is. Players behaving badly or lack of quality assistant coaches, or lack of leadership from the top down. There is a fly in the ointment somewhere within the club.

Rhylee West has been one of our best players in recent weeks and he is a fringe player. Too many good players out of form & not pulling their weight might be the problem. Just spitballing
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

15. Thanks chef thanked for this post
    Likes jeemak, Bullies, DOG GOD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There's clearly issues with the players. There's also a massive issue with coaching given the turnover of senior assistants.

I feel the latter will settle, and I think also a few players won't be there next year. I have heard some bits and pieces around Hunter, and I think that Dunkley is gone as you'd expect from somebody who started the best thread ever seen on this forum.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

17. Likes chef, Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    No, I don't think so. We almost won the grand final last year.

There is something not right at the club. Not sure what it is. Players behaving badly or lack of quality assistant coaches, or lack of leadership from the top down. There is a fly in the ointment somewhere within the club.

Rhylee West has been one of our best players in recent weeks and he is a fringe player. Too many good players out of form & not pulling their weight might be the problem. Just spitballing
    It's a good enough list but unbalanced.
    Our lack of quality back men gets mentioned a lot throughout the year but during the trade period when we come up short the club is often defended that we have enough, Same with ruck man.

We are also lacking some genuine athleticism across the playing list.

I agree that something isn't right with the footy department. Not sure if it's just the players or the tactics or some other distractions
    but there has to be a reason why we can't back up strong performance years.

The question we are now facing is do we need to break things up and go for a more sustainable fix or will a quick regroup be sufficient?

Post Thanks / Like

It's a good enough list but unbalanced.
    Our lack of quality back men gets mentioned a lot throughout the year but during the trade period when we come up short the club is often defended that we have enough, Same with ruck man.

We are also lacking some genuine athleticism across the playing list.

I agree that something isn't right with the footy department. Not sure if it's just the players or the tactics or some other distractions
    but there has to be a reason why we can't back up strong performance years.

The question we are now facing is do we need to break things up and go for a more sustainable fix or will a quick regroup be sufficient?
    Sorry G, I know it's your web site and all but there's some context that goes into those rejections you mention without it being bullshit.

Players need to fit, they need to want to come here. We need to be able to play them and pay them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Sorry G, I know it's your web site and all but there's some context that goes into those rejections you mention without it being bullshit.

Players need to fit, they need to want to come here. We need to be able to play them and pay them.
    No problems with that but why is it defended that we have the right players during the trade period when we come up short in attracting players but during the season we lament the lack of quality back man or rucks?

Post Thanks / Like

No problems with that but why is it defended that we have the right players during the trade period when we come up short in attracting players but during the season we lament the lack of quality back man or rucks?
    Because on balance we feel that we did what we could during trade period.

We all know we need the players we need, but honestly, none of us are prepared to pay what we need to get them.

Yes, some clubs pick up some players we could have had, but it's an eighteen team competition and thus, the chances of one in eighteen of us to get them are pretty low.

By the time the season rolls around we ask why we don't have them and forget the realities of what it would have taken to get them in the first place.