Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    langers1971 Guest

1987 round 21 v bears help needed

Guys

I am looking for footage of the 1987 round 21 game between Brisbane Bears v Footscray at Carrara.

This game was televised live by the ABC into Melbourne on the Sunday, and it was a big win to the Dogs.

The ABC cannot help me, and name a game/sports delivered do not have it either.

Should anyone have it on an old tape at all, please get in touch.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated

thank you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1987 round 21 v bears help needed

From memory it was the debut game for a 17yo Steve Kolyniuk.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    From memory it was the debut game for a 17yo Steve Kolyniuk.

And he wore #60 I reckon.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

4. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    And he wore #60 I reckon.
    Wasn't Libba number 60?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Wasn't Libba number 60?
    Actually I think you might be right, Libba did wear #60 in his first few games but I am sure (and I have had this video, I can remember watching it at the house I lived in before the last one (if that makes sense, I've moved twice since I watched it) and I think it may have been chucked out in the meantime (why have I got VHSs? May as well chuck 'em because they are taking up space and chucking things out calms my brain)

I still reckon Billy wore 60 in this game though. Maybe there was a balls up and the debutant's jumper was left back in Melbourne or something?

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I think you might be right, Libba did wear #60 in his first few games but I am sure (and I have had this video, I can remember watching it at the house I lived in before the last one (if that makes sense, I've moved twice since I watched it) and I think it may have been chucked out in the meantime (why have I got VHSs? May as well chuck 'em because they are taking up space and chucking things out calms my brain)

I still reckon Billy wore 60 in this game though. Maybe there was a balls up and the debutant's jumper was left back in Melbourne or something?
    I looked up Billy's number. It was 59. You were close.

Post Thanks / Like

I looked up Billy's number. It was 59. You were close.

He must have had 3 numbers. Because he went from 21 to 2. Not many players would have had 3 numbers at one club.

Post Thanks / Like

He must have had 3 numbers. Because he went from 21 to 2. Not many players would have had 3 numbers at one club.
    Can't think of any others. A good trivia question.

Post Thanks / Like

Can't think of any others. A good trivia question.

From 1911 for a few seasons Collingwood allocated numbers to their list in a strictly alphabetical basis so a few of those guts would have wore a few different numbers and players in the 1956 GF were forced to wear different numbers (a copyright dispute, would you believe?) so officially Ron Barrassi had 2 different numbers instead of the #31 he is associated with.

Numbers are a complicated issue in footy, but I reckon Billy would be the only one to wear 3 different numbers that were officially assigned to him at the start of the season at one club. There must be quite a few players who had a different number at each club who played for 4 or 5 clubs.

Post Thanks / Like

Gave them a good kicking as well
    Wouldn’t want a tape of the following week though, as you might kick the tv in .
    Great effort to get near finals with a pretty crap side

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Gave them a good kicking as well
    Wouldn’t want a tape of the following week though, as you might kick the tv in .
    Great effort to get near finals with a pretty crap side
    Was the following week V Melb at Whitten oval for a spot in the finals? I refuse to get upset about that. That was just one of the most awesome things I have ever seen (footy or non-footy) and easily the most dramatic and pulsating (with the information coming down the road from Geelong "*!*!*!*!, Dunstall's kicked another. Hawthorn are going to win. Whoever wins here makes the finals!") afternoon I have ever spent. And I can't get upset after all this time that we missed a finals spot when it meant that we got to see a superstar like Robert Flower strut his stuff on the biggest stage.

It's just a shame that Flower got injured and missed one of the finals.

langers1971 Guest

Was the following week V Melb at Whitten oval for a spot in the finals? I refuse to get upset about that. That was just one of the most awesome things I have ever seen (footy or non-footy) and easily the most dramatic and pulsating (with the information coming down the road from Geelong "*!*!*!*!, Dunstall's kicked another. Hawthorn are going to win. Whoever wins here makes the finals!") afternoon I have ever spent. And I can't get upset after all this time that we missed a finals spot when it meant that we got to see a superstar like Robert Flower strut his stuff on the biggest stage.

It's just a shame that Flower got injured and missed one of the finals.

Robert Flower played in all 3 of Melbournes 1987 finals, he was injured in the Preliminary Final, but finished the game, however, if Melbourne had made the Grand Final, he probably would not have played

Post Thanks / Like

IMG_3304.JPG
    Quote Originally Posted by langers1971 View Post
    Robert Flower played in all 3 of Melbournes 1987 finals, he was injured in the Preliminary Final, but finished the game, however, if Melbourne had made the Grand Final, he probably would not have played
    Yep, that's right. Dipper..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    IMG_3304.JPG

Yep, that's right. Dipper..
    As great a champion as Flower was I know who's career I'd take. Four time premiership winner sounds good to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by langers1971 View Post
    Nah. Seeing Dipper clean him up and then footage of that woman in the crowd crying after Buckenara slotted the winner are some of the happiest moments of my life. Can't stand that cesspit of an organisation.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

17. Likes N/A liked this post