Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs player caught out by ASADA

Western Bulldogs player caught out by ASADA

By Michael Gleeson

It turned out to be an expensive and embarrassing happy snap. A senior Western Bulldogs player was caught out by drug testers for not being where he told them he would be when they found pictures of him on holidays.

The senior Bulldogs player had not updated the details of his whereabouts on the phone app for ASADA drug testers during the Christmas holidays.

He was then caught out when he posted photos on his Instagram account showing himself on holidays - and not in the location he said he would be.

The club was fined $5000, half of which was suspended, for the administrative sloppiness.

It was their second fine this summer for whereabouts errors after they were fined $3000 in December for not immediately informing the AFL of a change to a player's travel plans.

The fine reveals the lengths ASADA and the AFL go in checking on players. It is unknown if it was ASADA who uncovered the discrepancy after looking through his social media accounts, or if it was an AFL integrity investigation.

“The club is disappointed to be in breach of the AFL’s policy in relation to whereabouts information, and we accept the imposed sanction," Bulldogs chief executive Ameet Bains said.

“In this instance, the player in question simply altered his original holiday plans and failed to log this information. The club will continue to educate its players on the importance of providing up-to-date information about their whereabouts during the holiday period.”

Richmond were also fined $7500 in December for failing to keep up-to-date information on player movement. That included a $5000 fine that had been suspended from a previous occasion.

Clubs must keep up to date details of where players will be at certain times each day so they are available to be drug tested.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs player caught out by ASADA

ASADA and WADA are farcical.. I wish they would take their job seriously and stop trying to score points and actually get onto finding us some actual drug cheats. ASADA and WADA are the cheats.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Why do they have to tell them where they are all the time ? If they want to drug test them just ask where they are and go do it, it's not like PEDs leave your body in minutes if your on them.
    On another note it's really not a headline worthy article, a lot of clubs have been find for it why are we the headline club ?
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Why do they have to tell them where they are all the time ? If they want to drug test them just ask where they are and go do it, it's not like PEDs leave your body in minutes if your on them.
    On another note it's really not a headline worthy article, a lot of clubs have been find for it why are we the headline club ?
    It's because they are fascists. They aren't interested in irradiating drugs from spotty. They are interested in publicity and being a smart arse and getting their names in the paper. "Oh Ben McDevitt aren't you just fantastic?"

Post Thanks / Like

Non story
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Has happened a few times now. Someone needs to knuckle down and meet their responsibilities. The fines are probably Chicken feed in the grand scheme of things, but it is unnecessarily wasted resources all the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Well this was stupid by the player

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    ASADA and WADA are farcical.. I wish they would take their job seriously and stop trying to score points and actually get onto finding us some actual drug cheats. ASADA and WADA are the cheats.
    My take is a little different to yours TD. The players are handsomely remunerated for doing their job, and one of the more simple elements of their job is to log their whereabouts on this app. It would take less than 20 seconds to log in the info, hardly an imposition.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

10. Likes 1eyedog, Topdog, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    My take is a little different to yours TD. The players are handsomely remunerated for doing their job, and one of the more simple elements of their job is to log their whereabouts on this app. It would take less than 20 seconds to log in the info, hardly an imposition.
    Agree. Would have taken the player 2 minutes. ASADA have made it incredibly easy for the players to update their whereabouts.
    Part of being signatories to a anti-doping code, is to get the administration side of it right. $5k ($2.5K suspended) might not seem a lot of money - but its potentially a couple of hundred memberships.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I agree there. My problem lies more in individual freedoms. We saw what happened at Essendon when we don't hold authority to book properly.

Basically I'm not going to let anyone think they are fooling me. NOT WADA, not ASADA, not Essendon and certainly not the AFL. I don't expect us to go back and unpick this one, that's done. But I would like a few of us to use our think brains the next time around.

Post Thanks / Like

No big deal at all if it is an innocuous oversight but if there is an element of deliberate evasion or dishonesty I would like to know who the players are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westbulldog View Post
    No big deal at all if it is an innocuous oversight but if there is an element of deliberate evasion or dishonesty I would like to know who the players are.
    How would you know whether they are lying or not? You can't ascribe motive when there is any confusion.