Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  23
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFLX match Saturday February 17, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I like going to training sessions as well and I also find it frustrating when we don't perform well in those sessions.
    I don't buy into the argument that we should play the youngsters because we don't want players to get injured because I've seen that happen in training sessions and practice games. Sometimes you just have to accept that there will be injuries.
    Clarko didn't have a problem pushing players on the Kokoda trail and accepted that it in the bigger picture the risk was worth it.

At some point we have to expose the players to an element of risk to get the most out of them. I mentioned before I don't mind using the series with a development focus in mind but we should have put a better team on the park.
    I agree injuries can happen anytime. Players have done an ACL on the training track
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

JLT is only 2 matches now and most senior players like to have a couple of games in the preseason so basically this AFLX has replaced that middle JLT game where we play all the kids. As BR mentioned above, the type of players we chose were ill-suited to the format and it showed in the outcome of the games. Hopefully all of them will get some chances in the coming two JLT games.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I agree injuries can happen anytime. Players have done an ACL on the training track
    I know of a AFL ruckman who did the ligaments in his ankle running through his house so he could throw something at his next door neighbour from his front yard. Tripped over a toy his kid had left on the floor and missed 8 weeks
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by divvydan View Post
    JLT is only 2 matches now and most senior players like to have a couple of games in the preseason so basically this AFLX has replaced that middle JLT game where we play all the kids. As BR mentioned above, the type of players we chose were ill-suited to the format and it showed in the outcome of the games. Hopefully all of them will get some chances in the coming two JLT games.
    My guess is a lot of our players will go into the season with just one JLT game behind them so we are placing a premium on our own internal practice matches and drills to get the players match ready.
    Looking at some of the footage of our players there has a been a fair bit of physical development in a number of the players so I'm confident we will be fit enough. Come round one there will be a number of disappointed players that won't be in our starting 22.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

5. Likes Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know there were some concerns on selecting another tall defender in the draft last year but while yesterdays effort was nothing more than a cameo Aaron Naughton really impressed. His marking and mobility were very good and he didn't look out of place at either end of the ground. If they have enough miles in the legs both he and Richards could easily be in round one considerations. They might not make it but they will be close.

Also based on yesterdays effort Lewis Young has put in a solid summer and has added some size to his lean frame. Competition for spots in our back line will be full on but Young could easily hold his spot again this year.

Redpath also looks fit and sharp and it will be very interesting to see how we set-up our forward line for the early rounds.

7. Likes kruder, Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I know of a AFL ruckman who did the ligaments in his ankle running through his house so he could throw something at his next door neighbour from his front yard. Tripped over a toy his kid had left on the floor and missed 8 weeks
    Go on.

This is the internet after all.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

9. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Redpath also looks fit and sharp and it will be very interesting to see how we set-up our forward line for the early rounds.
    I like the way he was moving around, looks like he is trained hard for this year.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I like the way he was moving around, looks like he is trained hard for this year.
    Meat and potatoes FF, with an emphasis on contributing up the line and when the ball hits the deck.

If he is going to hold a spot, he'll need to mark more often when the ball is long and wide to him as an outlet on the wing etc. we've got good options in Shache and Roughead for that long kick up the boundary. That being said, if we get the ball in his hands 10 times on a lead I50, you'd back him in for a decent goals per game average.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    How long did he live next door to you for?
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Go on.

This is the internet after all.

Oh it was Spida Everitt. I wasn't meaning to be mysterious. I thought it was well known. It was when he first signed for Hawthorn.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got told to shut up by Campbell Brown. He was crapping on about our squad yesterday saying it would affect membership so I sent a few "what so we pick the Bont and he does his knee? How does that help membership?" and a fre more, so they come back from the break with" and Carl from West Footscray just take a breath. Cheeky bastards.

Post Thanks / Like

It wasn't the inexperience that was the issue yesterday it was just that fact we played a team of key position players in what is ultimately a running mans game. It was great to see Naughtons kick hold up at the level the kid is a talent indeed and Richards looks to have that little bit of class something our group is so desperately lacking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kruder View Post
    It wasn't the inexperience that was the issue yesterday it was just that fact we played a team of key position players in what is ultimately a running mans game. It was great to see Naughtons kick hold up at the level the kid is a talent indeed and Richards looks to have that little bit of class something our group is so desperately lacking.
    A bit of both there Kruder but yes we were way too tall and slow.

Agree on both Naughton and Richards. I think both of them missed some of the work during December and they might be just a little underdone with their running.

Post Thanks / Like

A bit of both there Kruder but yes we were way too tall and slow.

Agree on both Naughton and Richards. I think both of them missed some of the work during December and they might be just a little underdone with their running.
    I know we didn't take it seriously but Webb was bloody poor yesterday. There is no way he is an inside mid and he also struggled behind the ball. For mine he plays forward if he gets an opportunity or else I can see him off the list by the end of the year.

One things for sure Bailey Dale is made for AFLX he would have torn it up if allowed to play.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that it for AFLX for this year?

19. Likes Eastdog liked this post