Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  31
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Martin Flanagan Book on 2016

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I hope it is not inappropriate to post this and if so I’m sure a mod will take it down. I also wrote a book about the Doggies’ premiership which was published last year. It was very much a from-the-heart story of our journey as fans, I’d been blogging about the experience of being a fan since 2013.

Though I get lots of great feedback from people who read the book, and Tim Lane paid me a wonderful compliment that it was in his view ‘the best footy book he’d read’, I also hear from many ardent Bulldogs’ fans that they have never heard of it and are really surprised and then very keen to track it down. I’m glad to say that when they do so, they often get back in touch to say that they also passed on the news to other Dogs fans who then enjoyed it too.

The club sadly did not support the book, they would not stock it in the Bulldogs shop though like any retailer they would have made a profit, and only did one tweet .... this was disappointing as I’d allowed them to reproduce my blog for free during the 2016 finals.

Martin Flanagan’s book will be heavily promoted and I’m looking forward to reading it as much as the next person, but just in case anyone who’s reading this has never heard of my book, I thought I’d write this post.
    I was standing with my son right in front of you at the release at the pub in Yarraville. John Harms did a great job. William McInnes and Firstdog were there. It was a great night. I'm sorry to hear that the club blanked you, did they say why?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope it is not inappropriate to post this and if so I’m sure a mod will take it down. I also wrote a book about the Doggies’ premiership which was published last year. It was very much a from-the-heart story of our journey as fans, I’d been blogging about the experience of being a fan since 2013.

Though I get lots of great feedback from people who read the book, and Tim Lane paid me a wonderful compliment that it was in his view ‘the best footy book he’d read’, I also hear from many ardent Bulldogs’ fans that they have never heard of it and are really surprised and then very keen to track it down. I’m glad to say that when they do so, they often get back in touch to say that they also passed on the news to other Dogs fans who then enjoyed it too.

The club sadly did not support the book, they would not stock it in the Bulldogs shop though like any retailer they would have made a profit, and only did one tweet .... this was disappointing as I’d allowed them to reproduce my blog for free during the 2016 finals.

Martin Flanagan’s book will be heavily promoted and I’m looking forward to reading it as much as the next person, but just in case anyone who’s reading this has never heard of my book, I thought I’d write this post.
    Your book is perfect. I read it when my life was at an absolute low six months ago and it made me smile again

3. Thanks The bulldog tragician thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have some reading to do

Sounds like a great book along with those other ones SonofScray mentioned.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Anyway Tradge you wouldn't have made those factual errors Martin makes in the first couple of pages of this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I was standing with my son right in front of you at the release at the pub in Yarraville. John Harms did a great job. William McInnes and Firstdog were there. It was a great night. I'm sorry to hear that the club blanked you, did they say why?
    Yes, it was so lovely to meet you all.

I am not sure what happened with the club. As I mentioned, they asked to publish my blog during the finals, which of course I was thrilled to do. They then asked if they could keep publishing it the following year (again, for no payment, but with the offer of some other “match day experience.” I didn’t have any real ambitions for that type of thing, I couldn’t really see myself acting cool in the coaches box �� but when the book became a reality, I hoped they could assist. They promised to, and my publisherthen contacted them directly. I thought at the least it would be available at the Shop, or in one of those deals: first 50 members get a book or something like that. Just as Big W or Readings make money out of every book sold, so too would the club, so I was stunned that they made it clear the shop wouldn’t sell it, and the offer of promotion became one tweet.

There is little money in being an author, and I have blogged for years just for the fun of knowing people felt I was capturing parts of their story ( it’s cheaper than seeing a shrink too). But I thought the blog and book were very much in line with everything the club says they are about - community and family and western suburbs. I know lots of people bought and enjoyed it, but I know there were some who just never came across it. As a storyteller that disappoints me, and I don’t really get why they backed away. I had assumed it might be the Flanagan book, but given they’re published a year apart, and completely different - he’s got inside access, I was a starry eyed fan who’s seen all the heartaches - there should have been room for both.

Enough said! Thanks to those who’ve said they enjoyed it, all any writer secretly wants is to hear those words.
    Last edited by The bulldog tragician; 23-02-2018 at 09:27 AM.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Enough said! Thanks to those who’ve said they enjoyed it, all any writer secretly wants is to hear those words.
    I enjoy reading all your pieces as well as your book. Keep up the good work.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Bulldogs through and through,

I've written a book about the Bulldogs' 2016 premiership. Initially, I met Bevo to tell him I couldn't do it. Five minutes later the book was happening and I was writing it.

Because we were late getting started, I told him the book wouldn't be out until early 2018. His reply is my all-time favourite Bevo quote: "A good story's a good story whenever it appears, isn't it?". Basically, what we agreed on was that the Bulldogs 2016 premiership was good news. A happy story in a not always happy world.

I met Bevo when I wrote my first book on the Dogs, "Southern Sky, Western Oval", in 1993. He was playing for the Dogs back then and we've had a respectful relationship ever since. Bob Murphy I know because his parents knew mine before Bob was ever conceived or glimpsed a Sherrin.

Doing this book, I met some interesting young men – Easton Wood, Marcus Bontempelli, Jordan Roughead, Tom Liberatore, to name a few. I also met trainer Paul Maher, and Liz Phillips and Kath Oliver from the footy department, Gaz from the cheer squad, Danny McGinlay who wrote the messages on the Bulldog banners, and Ace Arthur, the Bones McGhie of AFL club historians.

Then there were supporters like Carmen Petropulo, who gave the book its title, and Rhys Clements, who followed the grand final from his apartment in the Chinese city of Shenyang before exploding forth to give expression to his inner Bulldog before a bemused audience in a local bar….

The book is written as a crowd scene with lots of different voices and perspectives that builds to the epic finals series - against West Coast in Perth, starting at 67-1 outsiders, Hawthorn at the MCG, the Hawks playing for four flags in a row, GWS in Sydney, a match that stands with the all-time classics. And grand final day at the MCG, the place brimming with people and beating like a bass drum.

I hope this book makes people happy like the 2016 premiership did. I hope it brings memories rushing back, not just now, but in 10 or 15 years’ time, or, like “Southern Sky, Western Oval”, 25 years’ time.

On Saturday, I’ll be at the Family Day at VU Whitten Oval at 11am signing copies.

Martin Flanagan

A Wink from the Universe will be available to purchase from the Bulldogs Shop atFamily Day on Saturday, February 24.

Bob Murphy: “Those of us who were lucky enough to live through the 2016 football season want to hear Martin Flanagan tell it back to us in his poetic way”.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I love a good story. I can understand your frustration about not being able to share it. It's like you did all the difficult bits (or the passionate bits) and when it came time for the club to do their one bit they couldn't go ahead and they couldn't tell you why. Not being told why would be the straw for mine.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got your book TBT, I just have to find the time to read it!

11. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have it too - really enjoyed it thank you

13. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Bulldog Tragician book a beauty- I highly recommend it. Very heartfelt and some good laughs too.
    I'll second that. It is a great read. AND, while I'm at it there is another fabulous book that is a great read:
    "How the West was Won: Memoirs of Melbourne's Western Suburbs" edited by Karyn Howie and Sue O'Brien
    All proceeds from the book go to Western Chances to provide scholarship for young people in the West to help them fulfill their potential

Bulldogtrajician contributes, as does Tony Leonard, Kevin Harrington, Michael Leunig, Lina Caneva, Josephine Cafagna, Wendy Stapleton and many more.
    The book is worth reading alone for just one fantastic anecdote that concerns our greatest ever player.
    A really great book about growing up in the West in the 50s, 60s and 70s. The West and its people are special. No other part of Melbourne has that tribal identity. It is unique
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

15. Thanks HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    I'll second that. It is a great read. AND, while I'm at it there is another fabulous book that is a great read:
    "How the West was Won: Memoirs of Melbourne's Western Suburbs" edited by Karyn Howie and Sue O'Brien
    All proceeds from the book go to Western Chances to provide scholarship for young people in the West to help them fulfill their potential

Bulldogtrajician contributes, as does Tony Leonard, Kevin Harrington, Michael Leunig, Lina Caneva, Josephine Cafagna, Wendy Stapleton and many more.
    The book is worth reading alone for just one fantastic anecdote that concerns our greatest ever player.
    A really great book about growing up in the West in the 50s, 60s and 70s. The West and its people are special. No other part of Melbourne has that tribal identity. It is unique
    Hang on. How long has Moonee Ponds been in the west?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I've got your book TBT, I just have to find the time to read it!
    Id been meaning to buy a copy and then did so in January - I read it on a plane and loved it - I re-read it on the return flight and it brought me joy and happiness each time.

Can someone please organise another Bulldogs premiership?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I must say I baulked at that one too. Bit of a stretch for me. Once you pass over the bridge opposite the Angler's that's it for me.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

19. Likes The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A friend of mine used to claim that Moonee Ponds and Essendon were only western suburbs when funding got handed out. To be honest I've always disliked those 'nearly' western suburbs that were posh enough to look down on us from just across the other side of the Maribyrnong.

Apart from that fairly significant flaw, 'How the west was one' is a beautiful and nostalgic read and going to an excellent cause. It is funny now seeing the west is a hip destination. This book reminds us that it was far from the case until around 20 years ago. My own story is called 'The land of the purple thistle' about growing up in Deer Park, a suburb that I suspect will never ever be hip.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic