Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  20
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: AFLW 2018 - Round 4 v Carlton

Wonderful from our team . We are a team blokes, women’s , it doesn’t matter .

2. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's amazing just how much more skilled we look in comparision to the other teams

Post Thanks / Like

The improvement in Lochland and Lamb in particular has been pleasing this year. Blackburn, Kearney and Scott have continued their AA form, O'Connor has been strong in the ruck and backline along with Spark, while new girls in Toogood, Conti and Bruton have added plenty of dash and skill. I don't know when Aisling Utri joined us either but she has been impressive in the matches I've seen.

We've built a solid list and game plan to match, with few sides able to match our skill level or ferocity around the ball. If Toogood can hold the fort until KB's hopeful return, we remain in a very strong position.

5. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can anyone see an AFLW play in the AFL. I can't see how just because the hits are so much harder and faster in AFL. But then if you'd said to me two years ago that you can see into the future and Whitten oval would cram 10000 people in to watch the AFLW match of the round between us and Carlton I wouldn't have believed you.

Like I say I can't see how but I would be less suprised
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Can anyone see an AFLW play in the AFL. I can't see how just because the hits are so much harder and faster in AFL. But then if you'd said to me two years ago that you can see into the future and Whitten oval would cram 10000 people in to watch the AFLW match of the round between us and Carlton I wouldn't have believed you.

Like I say I can't see how but I would be less suprised
    Nah don't think so. I thought about which player type would get closest and it's maybe a Caleb Daniel type, an outside player with skills where it doesn't matter that they are easily knocked around or can't kick a long way
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

8. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Nah don't think so. I thought about which player type would get closest and it's maybe a Caleb Daniel type, an outside player with skills where it doesn't matter that they are easily knocked around or can't kick a long way
    But it's sort of feasible now in a way that it wasn't before. Now we say "well maybe, it's not completely out of the question" and think of ways it might happen whereas before I would have dismissed the prospect of it happening completely out of hand.

Post Thanks / Like

I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread speaking to Ellie Blackburn's father at half time in the game vs Carlton.

One thing he mentioned which put my nose out of joint a bit was the requirement for all current AFLW teams to give up five players to the two new teams coming in next year.

The 5 players put forward will be subject to a graded scale of skills etc, nonetheless, we are likely to lose one of Kearney, Blackburn, Lamb, Scott, Brennan (all A grade players in my opinion) at least.

I guess this is the only way to practically enable the two new sides to compete with the current 8 teams who will have had a two year head start.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smads57 View Post
    I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread speaking to Ellie Blackburn's father at half time in the game vs Carlton.

One thing he mentioned which put my nose out of joint a bit was the requirement for all current AFLW teams to give up five players to the two new teams coming in next year.

The 5 players put forward will be subject to a graded scale of skills etc, nonetheless, we are likely to lose one of Kearney, Blackburn, Lamb, Scott, Brennan (all A grade players in my opinion) at least.

I guess this is the only way to practically enable the two new sides to compete with the current 8 teams who will have had a two year head start.
    Hehe! Good luck with making that stick AFL. We have to stand up for ourselves and our players. We ask them to buy into a collegiate atmosphere and to make sacrifices for their team and the AFL wants us to take a hit for the good of the comp.

Let the new teams get their own players. The comp is only two years old and game plans and match style is still being bedded down. You can still take a player group and instruct it to advantage over the opposition without eroding the tradition and culture at other clubs.

12. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.starweekly.com.au/sports/...roken-records/

Western Bulldogs' night of broken records

It was a night of firsts for the Western Bulldogs in the AFL Women’s on Friday night.

The Bulldogs hosted the AFLW’s first ever pride game.

They broke records on the field with the highest score registered and the biggest winning margin in a 12.14 (86) to 2.1 (13) demolition job on Carlton at the Victoria University Whitten Oval.

The icing on the cake was small forward Brooke Lochland, who kicked the highest individual goals tally in an AFLW game with seven majors.

Bulldogs coach Paul Groves rated the performance as “clearly the best” from his team in their two-year history of the competition.

“I didn’t see it coming,” he said of the blowout result.

“I was particularly nervous today.

“We really rate Carlton, we rate their list and the players they’ve got there, so to be able to have 26 scoring shots and score 86, we were rapt.”

It was all one way traffic from the first bounce to the final siren.

The Bulldogs barely put a foot wrong as they executed to perfection in all facets of play. Their skills were once again superior, they hunted in packs defensively, they were brave with their ball movement and they turned inside 50s into scores.

The pro-Bulldogs crowd of 8987 would have gone home with smiles as their team showed what level of football they can produce in the absence of injured stars Katie Brennan, Isabel Huntington, Daria Bannister and Elyse Gamble as they rocketed to the top of the ladder with a sky high percentage.

Lochland was the talk of the town on Saturday morning.

The 26-year-old electrified the Whitten Oval with her crumbing play and dazzling finishing.

Her fifth goal of the night was an AFLW record, but she was not stopping there, finishing up with seven on the night.

“It’s a little bit unreal,” she said.

“It doesn’t happen unless everyone up the ground is playing their part.

“I was just lucky enough that I happened to be on the end of them, so credit to the girls tonight, they played amazing, everyone played their role, went in hard, did what they needed to do and it was nice to come away with the win.”

Lochland is a former ice skater.

She had success on the international stage in that sport, but retired when she missed out on the 2014 Winter Olympics.

Football was not on the radar until one night when she was working in a pub.

“Footy happened to fall in my hands,” Lochland said. “I was actually working in a pub and there was a footy team who were having a little function there, so they told me to come and play a couple of games and it just went from there.”

Emma Kearney was outstanding in the midfield for the Bulldogs with 26 possessions, six marks and five tackles.

Ellie Blackburn was dangerous with 18 possessions and a goal, while youngsters Aisling Utri, with 18 disposals, and Monique Conti, with 16, continue to impress.

The Bulldogs will be out to preserve their spot on top of the ladder when they face Collingwood in the fifth round at Ted Summerton Reserve in Moe on Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like

AFLW: Rising Bulldog living the dream

TEENAGER Aisling 'Ash' Utri dreamt about playing NAB AFL Women’s football when the competition kicked off in 2017.

Now, she’s emerging as a key member of the ladder-leading Western Bulldogs, fresh off a record 73-point thumping of Carlton last Friday night.

Her 18-disposal effort (and 71 per cent disposal efficiency rating) against the Blues earned her a nomination for the NAB AFLW Rising Star award.

"You dream about these things [playing AFLW]," the 19-year-old Utri said.

"I was sitting on the other side of the fence last year. To be on the field this year and be part of an historic win like that is just amazing.

"I just wanted to put on the guernsey and do it proud."

The Dogs have suffered significant injuries this season, losing young forwards Daria Bannister and Isabel Huntington (both ACL tears), as well as captain Katie Brennan (ankle).

But Utri has seen the club lift in response and praised her teammates for rising to the challenge.

"Emotionally, it’s been hard," she said.

"To lose three forwards … our front half had to step up and Brooke (Lochland) showed that by kicking seven goals (against the Blues).

"We said [the injuries] could bring us down or we could all come together and give another 10 per cent each."

The speedy midfielder juggles her football commitments with a hockey scholarship at the Victorian Institute of Sport.

A member of the 2017 national junior hockey squad, Utri made a seamless transition to the AFLW, with her physicality and mental discipline valuable traits for both sports.

"I understand a lot of the concepts (in AFLW); they’re very similar to hockey," she said.

"I was probably one of the stronger players in hockey over the ball. But it’s just so different when someone can tackle you to the ground.

"Developing in the gym through the VIS has prepared me really well physically, so it wasn’t too big a jump."

Whether she can represent both codes in the future is unclear, but Utri has aspirations to wear the green and gold playing hockey for Australia.

"I’d love to do both. But whether that happens, I just want to make sure I enjoy my sport," she said.

"I would like to represent my country. That’s been a dream of mine so it doesn’t just disappear.

"There will come a time where I have to make a decision which will probably be the worst day of my life."
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-02-2...ving-the-dream

Post Thanks / Like

If only all of the Victorian clubs could get together to tell them to piss off. No way should the existing clubs be decimated for the new clubs

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will it really be that tough to find 5 players to turn over at years end? Would have thought we'd want to turn at least that many over to get younger players who have been exposed to football for most of their sporting lives; you can see the contrast in skill and nous straight away between players like Conti and Utri, and some of the older players in the league.

Or is this 5 in addition to the already-mandatory number we have to turn over?
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Will it really be that tough to find 5 players to turn over at years end? Would have thought we'd want to turn at least that many over to get younger players who have been exposed to football for most of their sporting lives; you can see the contrast in skill and nous straight away between players like Conti and Utri, and some of the older players in the league.

Or is this 5 in addition to the already-mandatory number we have to turn over?
    Players are rated on a scale, you need to cough up like 100 points of value IIRC which means you can't just give away the bottom 5 on your list

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    Players are rated on a scale, you need to cough up like 100 points of value IIRC which means you can't just give away the bottom 5 on your list
    That stinks
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't the whole rational for clubs to be developing players? Not ripping them out if other clubs.

This is such s stupid short sighted idea by the AFL. Really Gil and the blokes have no business making massive decisions like this. They have proved over and over again that they gave no real idea about AFLW and assume that if they run it like AFL lite everything will be fine. It's succeeding despite the AFL Commision at the moment because people like this league and they especially like the narrative of these girls waiting for their chance to shine but if you concentrate the numbers it won't grow.