Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Luke Beveridge denies media ban, slams media's 'sense of self-entitlement'

Link

Western Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge has dismissed claims he has been on a self-imposed media ban since the end of last season and took a swipe at the footy media’s “sense of self-entitlement” in the process.

In his first public appearance of the year on Triple M radio, Beveridge said that despite being a senior AFL coach, he liked to maintain a fairly private life while, at the same time, spreading the media duties among fellow key figures at the club.

Bulldogs players and assistant coaches have largely done the public speaking over the pre-season and Beveridge said it was untenable for the same four or five people to constantly front the media on behalf of the club.

“There’s this sense of self-entitlement that’s crept through the media world where they think that they can drag you out of your private life all the time,” Beveridge said on Friday.

“I think that’s what’s happened – it’s not me, it’s them. I think I need a pseudonym.

“The interesting thing for me about being a senior coach is your life becomes a little bit public and we try and share the load from a media perspective at the club and I really promote that.

“Not only does it give our people experience for their futures but it gets different voices out there. Sometimes there’s some risk in that, but our people do a good job with it – it doesn’t have to be me.

“Unfortunately normally when the [media] requests come through they go for Marcus Bontempelli and ‘JJ’ [Jason Johannisen] and ‘Woody’ [Easton Wood] and maybe me and [president] Peter Gordon and it can’t always be like that.
    “I like to be understated ... I’m pretty keen to continue to spread it and that’s all it is. I do a fair bit with a few other things that are a bit more low profile but the club is happy enough with what I’m doing and that’s all that matters to me.”

The Bulldogs head into season 2018 on the back of a disappointing year where they became just the fourth reigning premiers to miss out on the finals in the AFL era.

However, Beveridge denied his side experienced a premiership hangover and while he admitted "frustration" and "confusion" dogged their failed title defence at times, he was proud with how they fought out the 2017 season until the end.

“That’s the external perception that people are talking about the hangover and all that. That’s fair enough, we’ve got to stand on our own two feet and just say that there were a few things that weren’t right,” Beveridge said.
    “But people forget that we won five out of our first seven, we prepared really well, so there’s no hangover in that – that’s a group of people ready to go again.

“During the middle of the year for various reasons it went a bit south and ultimately we weren’t good enough. We won 11 games and gave ourselves another look at it [a finals spot] late in the year and I was really proud of the players for coming again when we were probably a little bit down in stocks.

“So we learn a little bit. There’s no doubt a few have learnt some bigger lessons than others, and that’s OK. There was more of a frustration and even the mental health side of things crept in, so there was a little bit of confusion and, again, our people stayed true and really supported each other and we go into this year feeling pretty strong but we know how even the comp is going to be again.”

The Dogs’ first practice match of the year is against Hawthorn in Ballarat on March 3. They open their home-and-away campaign on March 25 against GWS at Manuka Oval.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Hotdog60, Bulldog4life, Go_Dogs, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luke Beveridge denies media ban, slams media's 'sense of self-entitlement'

Having just endured a week of Barnaby-Gate, Bevo's comments re the media having a sense of self-entitlement are spot on.
    Good on him for wanting his privacy and also sharing the load of news releases. So much of what this guy comes out with is just plain common sense.
    Continue to be your own man Bevo, that's what makes you the best.

4. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That b1tch-slap starts with you Barrett, given you feel it is your right to disturb coaches after hours!

Successful people (like Bevo) do not work on other people’s timetable.

Post Thanks / Like

Barrett has gone very quiet hasn't he.
    A nice good backhander and the reporters wonder why clubs shut up shop, because reporters make up stories bigger than they are , just like this one !
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

The genesis of this really does hark back to a certain Footy Classified interview where Bevo reduced Barrett to high-pitched squealing that his media requests were to be directed through official club channels rather than the grub pinging Bevo direct as he pleased whenever he felt like rooting through the garbage.

There's a rusted-on meeja clique that trades on the 'lowly' Dogs narrative and visibly chafe when we get uppity.

Long may we shit them.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Bevo makes a fair point but my membership payment comes out every month and an occasional word from the club in an ocean of Essendon, Hawthorn and Richmond would be nice...every couple of weeks isn’t too much to ask is it?
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    The genesis of this really does hark back to a certain Footy Classified interview where Bevo reduced Barrett to high-pitched squealing that his media requests were to be directed through official club channels rather than the grub pinging Bevo direct as he pleased whenever he felt like rooting through the garbage.

There's a rusted-on meeja clique that trades on the 'lowly' Dogs narrative and visibly chafe when we get uppity.

Long may we shit them.
    It's that cow *!*!*!*!ing North Melbourne coterie of the meeja.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite