Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob's Weekly Column - What’s a Moz worth?

link

How do we accurately value a player’s worth to their team?

In generations gone by one might’ve checked the stats columns of kicks marks or handballs to equate a player’s value like you might do with your own bank account.

Lots of kicks equals big bucks.

In more recent times of course, the microscope on the game goes into far deeper analysis than those statistics I’ve mentioned.

And then BOOM! Like a gift from the Gods we received ranking points! Fantasy football! Finally, we had a numerical format that once and for all accurately described the true worth of a player. Or did we?

Of course, numbers and statistics help us analyse the game. They give us a guideline to avoid drastic errors. It’s the same with bumper bowling. But our game is filled with nuances, there are simply too many intangibles to cover all of it in a nifty spreadsheet. There are always anomalies.

Dale Morris is one of those anomalies.

Last year, the Bulldog veteran averaged 10 disposals and three marks a game. The ranking points peaked in the low 60s. These are solid numbers for a league footballer, but not the kind of numbers that would equate to ‘big bucks’.

You see where I’m going with this don’t you?

Dale Morris’ worth transcends the current football accounting systems. Another way to value Morris’ output would be to ask his teammates how much they value him in the minutes before a big game.

Dale’s team-mates adore him. They revere him. Their voices adjust to a lower register when they talk about him, because of the respect they hold for him.

But while the warm remarks would be predictably favourable, what is perhaps most relevant is that his true value is two-fold.

Dale’s ability to shut down an opponent is legendary. His athleticism, discipline and sheer will put him at the top of the tree as one of the great defenders of the modern era, but it’s his effect on his teammates that is just as precious.

He makes his teammates feel more confident just knowing he is there. I’m not speculating. I was next to him for 13 years out on that field. He’s the real deal.

So, on the eve of the 2018 season, a huge challenge reveals itself to the Bulldogs. The pillar of the team’s defence is out for an indefinite spell with a partially torn ACL.

How will the team cover this loss? How will the wily veteran deal with prolonged absence from the team?

Now I am speculating (my vantage point is a lot further away these days), but my gut tells me that it shouldn’t be a time for unnecessary worry for the red, white and blue clan.

‘Moz’ has nurtured the defenders who will have to cover his loss. He has marshalled and protected the likes of Fletcher Roberts, Marcus Adams and Zaine Cordy since they were fresh pups.

Those pups our now fully-grown dogs. They’re ready. Players as influential as Dale Morris go out onto the field with their teammates even when they don’t lace up their boots. He lives in them.

The same thing happened in the Lion King with Simba and Mufasa and that worked out pretty good.

A football season is like a steeplechase and for some players it’s already time to jump. It’s a good thing, they’ve got fresh legs.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Go_Dogs, azabob thanked for this post
    Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bob's Weekly Column - What’s a Moz worth?

"The same thing happened in The Lion King with Simba and Mufasa and that worked out pretty good."

Classic Bob.