Thanks Thanks:  31
Likes Likes:  35
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: JLT Practise Match 1, v Hawthorn

We locked the ball in very well in that 3rd quarter in the forward half.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Pleasing start ( albeit a practice match) look to have got a bit of our intent back .
    Lyon reckons we won’t make the eight ! I’ve just put the house on us making it

3. Likes Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    I'd be more concerned about whomever put Tom Mitchell down behind play late in the last quarter. It wasn't captured in the live footage, but I am sure the behind the goals vision (if any) will show why other Hawthorn players remonstrated with the culprit.
    The ran into each other accidentally. Macrae even stopped to see if he was ok. He's a Bulldog so he'll probably go for it.

Post Thanks / Like

I just finished watching the replay and there were some good signs.
    I LOVED the look of Naughton. He looked like he belonged out there from the first bounce. Looks like we have another good one.
    Trengove is going to be very handy by the look of it. His experience is much needed with our young list.
    Marcus Adams is HUGE. Our back half looks better with him back there. He still has his trademark panic moments but also his trademark booming clearing kick.
    Crazier seems to have slotted in nicely in defense also. To be able to release JJ further up the field is a massive win for us and maybe they can switch for a change up as well. Croziers foot skills look quite neat which is a much needed attribute to the team.
    I would of liked Schache to get more of the ball but his mobility for a big boy looks really promising. Hopefully he can start clunking some long balls in the forward line before too long.

The first quarter was pretty much circle work which at least we kicked accurately. With Wood, JJ, Murphy (retired) and Moz (injured) all not in defense, the boys back there seemed to hold up pretty well in the end. You would think that Easton won't play forward too often so the defense should be in decent shape.
    The forward set up was not what I expected with so many rotations through there but I liked it. It will keep opposition coaches guessing.
    Overall it seemed to be a pretty good hitout without shooting the lights out. It has certainly given me some confidence that we might give the 8 a shake in 2018 after all.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

A fit Adams will make Collin’s very nervous.
    An in form Naughton will make Roberts nervous but give us confidence to play Wood elsewhere.
    Wood playing forward definitely meant Sicily’s effectiveness was impacted. I expect Wood to be played there when the matchup suits us.....otherwise, back to his intercepting defender role.
    Loved Dahlhaus’ forward role. Need him to hit the scoreboard but his defensive efforts were just what we missed last year. He simply doesn’t hurt teams playing midfield but defenders panic when he’s around.
    Rotate JJ wherever we can exploit other teams.
    Crozier was effective and I loved his desperate defensive efforts and ball use.
    Roughead and Trengove looked to make a strong and effective ruck combination.
    Bont and MaCrae are our strong bodied, hard working, classy ball users. Jack is seriously underrated and tough as nails....and two goals today was a good return. Bont needs to convert much better for someone of his skill......I’m never confident when he’s kicking for goal.

Overall I was happy.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Wallis
    Boyd
    Dickson
    Smith
    Young
    Redpath

Probably in that order.

Thought Boyd > English/Trengove as a forward
    For balance I can somewhat understand Wally, but thought he'd be ahead of Webb, HC
    Dickson has been a lock whenever fit, suspect he's injured and it's not reported
    Smith, again maybe managed as thought he'd play
    Young was a starter at the back end of the year and would appear to fit in with the mantra of both best available side and playing youth if we're hedging our bets like I think we are. Maybe Naughton has jumped ahead already, but would be surprised
    Redpath > Trengove as a forward too

It is what it is, but I'm curious about how reliable the "health" of our list is and also that we appear to say one thing but do another at the selection table - maybe all the guys I thought should play have been overtaken during the summer.

Also, perhaps we play Adams forward, Trengove, Cordy and Naughton back - that makes a little more sense but not how the side was named - guess we know more tomorrow.
    Really don't think the Coaching Staff are too concerned about how "we" perceive their team selection based on who's available and who's "been training the house down". It's an ideal time to put all the plans they have been working on since October into a match play scenario and some may be required to show the coaches how they fit in. The others may have already shown how they fit into their plans.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Must say I thought Richo had come out of retirement, looking at Isaac Smith, spitting image !
    Said the same thing to my partner yesterday. He is channelling his inner "Richo".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    Said the same thing to my partner yesterday. He is channelling his inner "Richo".
    Geeeez an in his prime Matthew Richardson would fit nicely into our structure. Outside of a tendency to drop his head in frustration when things weren't going so well on the field he had it all.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind the rationale of playing Wood forward but I am not sure he has the natural flair/instincts to actually play as one, particularly when considering he can influence matches as a half back. This is still my preferred position for him but I'm open to seeing how the forward role goes.

Adams would have to be one of our most important players. The flow on effect of him playing (and playing well) is huge. Naughton was very impressive, looks a smart player and his positioning and reading of the play is excellent.

Dunkley looks set for a big year. If he was a good kick, he would be on track to becoming absolutely elite.

Pleasing first game up. Both Trengove and Crozier add quite a bit to the side and offer great flexibility. I thought Crozier's ability to compete in the air was impressive, whilst his ball use was great. Trengove looks fit and strong, his aggressive style suits us.

I would have preferred us to put a full game into Schache. Looked OK in the ruck and showed his running ability to get forward and kick that goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    I don't mind the rationale of playing Wood forward but I am not sure he has the natural flair/instincts to actually play as one, particularly when considering he can influence matches as a half back. This is still my preferred position for him but I'm open to seeing how the forward role goes.

Adams would have to be one of our most important players. The flow on effect of him playing (and playing well) is huge. Naughton was very impressive, looks a smart player and his positioning and reading of the play is excellent.

Dunkley looks set for a big year. If he was a good kick, he would be on track to becoming absolutely elite.

Pleasing first game up. Both Trengove and Crozier add quite a bit to the side and offer great flexibility. I thought Crozier's ability to compete in the air was impressive, whilst his ball use was great. Trengove looks fit and strong, his aggressive style suits us.

I would have preferred us to put a full game into Schache. Looked OK in the ruck and showed his running ability to get forward and kick that goal.
    We have been screaming (well I have anyway) out for a player with his aggression and leadership on the ground for years. His style is going to complement some of the more skilled players in our team. I'm hoping that Trengrove can occupy a lot if the opposition's time and effort by being a big lunk that gets in the way a lot ( he's a better player than that but I suspect that will be his role) and can take a saving mark in defence or go forward and clunk some marks.

I'm thinking we are going to enjoy having Jackson in the team. For lots of reasons.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Geeeez an in his prime Matthew Richardson would fit nicely into our structure. Outside of a tendency to drop his head in frustration when things weren't going so well on the field he had it all.
    I reckon there was a time that Richo was linked to us in a trade. But hey, at that time anyone over 6ft that had kicked just one goal in their career (including Under 9's and Auskick) was linked to the Dogs.

13. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree, Easton isn't what you would call a 'natural footballer' so I'm struggling to see how a forward shift will work... With Bevo being a stubborn bugger I'm sure he'll give it every opportunity to work, but much prefer him being led to the ball.

His kicking isn't his best asset, but has a habit of being in the right place at the right time and competes extremely well.. He was missed last year.

----

A little concerned about our defence, especially with our tendency to get too far up the ground and then caught out badly on the rebound, we just gifted too many goals early on. The ability of the likes of Biggs, Williams & Cordy to compete one on one wasn't great.. they were often out-sized, but in a highly flexible team like ours there will be times that they are caught in a mis-match and their ability to influence an aerial contest doesn't fill me with hope.

Plenty of good signs though, players look fit, intensity was good.. nice first up hit-out.

15. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Agree, Easton isn't what you would call a 'natural footballer' so I'm struggling to see how a forward shift will work... With Bevo being a stubborn bugger I'm sure he'll give it every opportunity to work, but much prefer him being led to the ball.

His kicking isn't his best asset, but has a habit of being in the right place at the right time and competes extremely well.. He was missed last year.

----

A little concerned about our defence, especially with our tendency to get too far up the ground and then caught out badly on the rebound, we just gifted too many goals early on. The ability of the likes of Biggs, Williams & Cordy to compete one on one wasn't great.. they were often out-sized, but in a highly flexible team like ours there will be times that they are caught in a mis-match and their ability to influence an aerial contest doesn't fill me with hope.

Plenty of good signs though, players look fit, intensity was good.. nice first up hit-out.
    This has been an issue for a while, in fact, only in the 2016 finals series did we actually get the balance between pushing up too far and holding some middle ground right.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.