Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

'I did think the worst': Dog finally has some luck

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-0...-has-some-luck

MITCH Honeychurch was due for some luck, and the tenacious Bulldog finally found some.

After being starved of senior opportunities since being drafted with pick No.60 in the 2013 NAB AFL Draft, Honeychurch strung together six-straight games midway through 2017 before an "annoying" facial infection left him in hospital and halted his most prolific and promising chapter of his career.

Now, feeling as confident as he has in his time at the Dogs, Honeychurch was carried from Whitten Oval during last weekend's intraclub match with the belief fortune had deserted him again.

An innocuous tackle was the culprit this time around.

"I did think the worst straight away, and there was about a minute (of panic), but the physio tested (my knee) out and there was no swelling," a relieved Honeychurch told AFL.com.au.

"Luckily enough, there was no damage when I got a scan on Sunday, so I needed a bit of luck and I got it on the weekend."

His lack of continuity at the Dogs had him thinking long and hard at the end of last season about an offer from Greater Western Sydney to be the selfless team man to complement its star-studded list.

Honeychurch is admired by all at the Dogs for his hard-nosed and team-first approach, but there isn't a storage of those types at the club, and that left the then unsigned 22-year-old torn.

"I didn't have a contract in front of me at the end of last year from the Bulldogs, so GWS came knocking on the door," Honeychurch said.

"I was thinking of going up there, and they needed a small forward, but it didn't eventuate, and the Bulldogs ended up offering me a one-year contract.

"It's was a tough one because moving up to Sydney would have been a pretty big move and I was pretty keen to stay with the club."

Delighted to be a fifth-year Bulldog, Honeychurch's modus operandi is to adhere to Luke Beveridge's flexibility mantra and cement a dual-role as a defensive forward and an attacking wingman.

Improving his kicking has also been a key focus over his productive pre-season.

And despite only having the security of a one-year deal, the Vermont product is confident he has a bright future in the red, white and blue.

"It will be fifth year now and I've only played (22) games, but I'd like to think I'll play a lot more games this year and have more of an impact," he said.

"It's not necessarily a make-or-break year for me, I've just got get some continuity in my footy and the rest will take care of itself.

"I think round one is (a realistic target) because I feel as fit as I've ever been and think I can take my game to the next level in 2018.

"I just need to grab my opportunity."

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 'I did think the worst': Dog finally has some luck

Good to read he would love to make it with us and I don't think he would leave unless we were to trade him.
    I have a lot of time for this kid he does everything he can to make it.
    I hope he does make it , I find him hard at it and leaves nothing in him after a game, he is ferocious and has a good tank, height is his problem and if he does get his kicking right he could be a very good asset.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't hurt his chances with yesterday's performance in Ballarat I thought.
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

4. Likes Go_Dogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Always admired his tenacity - great to see he's confident coming into the season.

Post Thanks / Like

Things to improve on but yes I thought he was ok yesterday.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Jong and Honeychurch have similar challenges and mind sets. They deserve success but I’m just not sure it’s going to come.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

I think HC can make it. If he just kicked straight last year it would be a different story. He has everything on his side because he is a gut runner, makes contests, and finds space near goal. He's got another season to make all that 'click'.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

As others have said about Dunkley, Honeychurch gets to the right spots often. He can read the play well. He simply needs to take his chances when they come. He looks to panic at times and can mess up what should be simple opportunities to score. I've seen him at Footscray where there is less pressure but he plays with confidence, he can play.
    We need a surprise packet this year that opponents wont be expecting who can get off the leash a bit, much like Stringer when he burst onto the scene. Honey is no Stringer but I can see him being good for 2 goals each week with the occasional 3 if he gets his confidence up.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    As others have said about Dunkley, Honeychurch gets to the right spots often. He can read the play well. He simply needs to take his chances when they come. He looks to panic at times and can mess up what should be simple opportunities to score. I've seen him at Footscray where there is less pressure but he plays with confidence, he can play.
    We need a surprise packet this year that opponents wont be expecting who can get off the leash a bit, much like Stringer when he burst onto the scene. Honey is no Stringer but I can see him being good for 2 goals each week with the occasional 3 if he gets his confidence up.
    That's 40 odd goals if he plays every game

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    That's 40 odd goals if he plays every game
    We are going to need a couple of players to kick 30, to 40 this season. Hopefully Dickson comes in with some good form and if Honey (or someone) can snag a few as well, it will go along way to making us a genuine contender.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

In 2016 we had four players kick 20+ goal kickers. Bont 26, Redpath 20, Dickson 40 and Stringer 42. And we had nine players who kicked between 10-19 goals so we do need to develop some goalkicking options. I'm not sure that Easton Wood is the answer to our problems though.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

If he averages 1.3 goals a game and plays 15 games as a reasonably consistent figure in the team then a return of 20 goals or thereabouts would be amazing.

I reckon he can do it, but I’m a bigger believer than most.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    If he averages 1.3 goals a game and plays 15 games as a reasonably consistent figure in the team then a return of 20 goals or thereabouts would be amazing.

Yeah that seems like a more realistic target for Honey. If he ever has a 2 goal a game season it'd be an amazing return/turnaround.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

The one thing is he does get the ball and has a shot. It is now just a matter of accuracy.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

It does sound stupid but he easily gets 3 goal scoring opportunities a game. Honestly if he was reasonably accurate and played every game he could do it.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right