Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 'I did think the worst': Dog finally has some luck

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    That's 40 odd goals if he plays every game
    That does sound like a bit much for a bloke struggling to even be in our best 22 doesn't it. Maybe 1-2 goals is a lot more realistic but for a forward line player surely that is just a par. We are desperate for a small to mid size forward to kick that 40ish goals a season (especially now Stringer is with the drug cheats) and Honeychurch is the player who is at the right age and has had enough time and preseasons to be that player. It's definitely the last roll of the dice for him.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    That does sound like a bit much for a bloke struggling to even be in our best 22 doesn't it. Maybe 1-2 goals is a lot more realistic but for a forward line player surely that is just a par. We are desperate for a small to mid size forward to kick that 40ish goals a season (especially now Stringer is with the drug cheats) and Honeychurch is the player who is at the right age and has had enough time and preseasons to be that player. It's definitely the last roll of the dice for him.
    But that sort of return has been considered elite for a long time, prior to the game changing to the point where small forward is now the hardest position in the game to register an impact week to week.

I had a hit of golf with a third year player on the weekend who plays with a side blessed with many small and competent forwards. Where it gets difficult for these blokes is that when they play at the next level down, they dominate and learn how to play in the middle of the ground, rather than focusing on their forward craft. Or conversely, get left to learn their forward craft (which is largely defencively minded in this day and age) in an environment where skills are poor and defenders don't attack like they do at the top level. In addition to that, when they get promoted and the team doesn't perform well, they are starved of opportunity when forward, but get limited time in the middle to show their worth.

Honey is playing the AFL's biggest bastard of a position now. One that has changed 100 fold since Brad Hardy revolutionised it over thirty years ago.

People say CHF is the hardest spot on the ground. That's bullshit.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

3. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

40 years since Hardie won the Brownlow? Make it 30 please G. I'm old enough as it is.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Can’t help sorry TD, time bending is not my specialty.

As a five year old sleeping in my mum’s bed Brownlow night, I remember her looking extremely happy as she told me Brad Hardy had won, as she woke me up to take to bed.

For some reason I keep losing these memories.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Can’t help sorry TD, time bending is not my specialty.

As a five year old sleeping in my mum’s bed Brownlow night, I remember her looking extremely happy as she told me Brad Hardy had won, as she woke me up to take to bed.

For some reason I keep losing these memories.....
    I vividly remember my 5 yo memories. Man on the moon, it snowed in Yarraville.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post

Honey is playing the AFL's biggest bastard of a position now. One that has changed 100 fold since Brad Hardy revolutionised it over thirty years ago.

People say CHF is the hardest spot on the ground. That's bullshit.
    Brad Hardie was a BP... Didn’t see HC down back last week, more so across HF and on the wing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Brad Hardie was a BP... Didn’t see HC down back last week, more so across HF and on the wing.
    Sorry, I have only posted part of what I meant to post and can understand the confusion.

Hardy was ahead of his time as a back pocket player. The back pocket (if the role exists) has now become an attacking role, meaning the role of a forward pocket (once again, if it exists) has changed significantly to the point where I genuinely think it's the hardest area on the ground to have a non-defencive impact. If the team isn't moving the ball well, you're not likely to get a kick in a forward pocket, and conversely, the chances your defender will get plenty of the ball increase.

Even if the team is going well, it's not hard to miss out and not see the footy a great deal as a forward pocket.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.