Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
    Post Thanks / Like

Dogs can make grand final again says derm

link

Dermott Brereton is firmly in the corner of the Western Bulldogs ahead of the 2018 AFL season.

The Bulldogs had somewhat of a ‘gap year’ in 2017, dropping to 10th on the ladder after sensationally claiming the 2016 premiership.

Speaking with Kevin Bartlett and Dr Turf on SEN this afternoon, the Hawthorn champion has tipped Luke Beveridge’s Dogs to bounce back this year.

“The Dogs are my big improver for 2018,” Brereton told KB & The Doc.

“I reckon they can make the Grand Final again.

“They are in the right age bracket and they have that many players who have a little gold cup just sitting next to their name – premiership players – with the right amount of experience.”

The Bulldogs defeated the Hawks by 22 points in the JLT Community Series in Ballarat on Saturday. They next take on Collingwood in Moe this Saturday afternoon.

The 2017 premiers then kick off their 2018 AFL campaign against GWS in Canberra on Sunday, March 25.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dogs can make grand final again says derm

"Now get out of my sight!"
    BORDERLINE FLYING

3. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting how bad a lot of pundits believe we have become, after a shocking year in which we only lost four more home and away games than we did in our premiership year. A year in which we were unlucky to finish seventh due to the evenness of the competition.

If the competition has an "off" year, we may only have to win 13 games to finish sixth or seventh again. Only two more than in the year largely considered a debacle.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    It's interesting how bad a lot of pundits believe we have become, after a shocking year in which we only lost four more home and away games than we did in our premiership year. A year in which we were unlucky to finish seventh due to the evenness of the competition.

If the competition has an "off" year, we may only have to win 13 games to finish sixth or seventh again. Only two more than in the year largely considered a debacle.
    I find it interesting that we had a 'Premiership hangover', but we were still 5-2 early on... Perhaps our hangover was different to the one's I suffer, but generally it means eating fried food, being unable to function properly, especially in a physical sense (so generally a sloth) and pretty much doing anything other than winning games of footy, especially early in the season when the game is often at it's quickest.

Whilst our season didn't eventuate how we would've liked and besides the fact that we had 2-3 key players off the boil pretty much all season, the size of our injury list, which often gets over-looked didn't help our cause at all.

But I guess it's easier to say we had a hangover rather than look at the reasons why this might have occured.

6. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    the size of our injury list, which often gets over-looked didn't help our cause at all.
    Yeah agree.

Last years injury list was very different to the previous year. In 2016 we were able to replace each injured player with another soldier, mainly because of the numbers that went through the midfield. In 2017, with big guys out like Roughy, Boyd, Morris and a few others, we found it hard to get decent players to replace them.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    I find it interesting that we had a 'Premiership hangover', but we were still 5-2 early on... Perhaps our hangover was different to the one's I suffer, but generally it means eating fried food, being unable to function properly, especially in a physical sense (so generally a sloth) and pretty much doing anything other than winning games of footy, especially early in the season when the game is often at it's quickest.

Whilst our season didn't eventuate how we would've liked and besides the fact that we had 2-3 key players off the boil pretty much all season, the size of our injury list, which often gets over-looked didn't help our cause at all.

But I guess it's easier to say we had a hangover rather than look at the reasons why this might have occured.
    Maybe we woke up drunk and still felt OK until about 1pm...........at which point we deteriorated in line with a standard hangover.

Or possibly, just possibly, you're right and labeling it as such is the easy way out.

Post Thanks / Like

Waited my whole life to have a premiership hangover!

Hoping to have another premiership hangover some time in the next few years!

10. Likes Twodogs, bornadog, The Doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Dogs can make grand final again says derm

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Waited my whole life to have a premiership hangover!

Hoping to have another premiership hangover some time in the next few years!

It's the best hangover I've ever had. And I've had a lot of hangovers.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I'm working on a hangover right now while watching highlights of the finals series 2016!

Can the men of mayhem return?
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

13. Likes Dry Rot, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe we woke up drunk and still felt OK until about 1pm...........at which point we deteriorated in line with a standard hangover.

Or possibly, just possibly, you're right and labeling it as such is the easy way out.
    Given some of the dudes on our team we were probably still going at 1pm. Might have even been when we won the flag.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Given some of the dudes on our team we were probably still going at 1pm. Might have even been when we won the flag.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I don't doubt that during our premiership year we had some lads who were right into the party party, like a few clubs before them they were able to hang on for long enough to make it work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    There's absolutely no way anyone at the club would have been involved in the party party during 2016, you can't win a premiership with that happening. Only West Coke has and they're the exception that proves the rule.

Post Thanks / Like

Take your pick.