Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Why is it

Post Thanks / Like

Question Why is it

That rugby league players can play a 25 week plus finals plus SOO matches plus internationals but AFL can only manage a 22 week seasons plus finals and that's it. And AFL players are trying to get less matches played with the silly 16 or 17 week season they want to bring in.

The AFL season should be home and away 38 rounds, we just need to get rid of the 14 or 15 week block of preseason. No other sport has a longer period of training than playing and AFL doesn't need to either.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why is it

I agree with the play each other twice thing but I don't like to compare it with other sports as no other sport has every player having to have every skill a human can do.
    It's extremely demanding on the body. If you look at other sports they have a different player for each skill needed,our game demands players to be able to do everything.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I agree with the play each other twice thing but I don't like to compare it with other sports as no other sport has every player having to have every skill a human can do.
    It's extremely demanding on the body. If you look at other sports they have a different player for each skill needed,our game demands players to be able to do everything.
    And Rugby League isn't? Rugby League plays virtually the whole year round.

I'd like to see some actual research that tells us that (or explains why) AFL footballers have to train 7 months of the year to prepare for a 22 plus finals season? And I'd want a better answer than either "it's because we have always done it like that" or "mind your own business we wiil do whatever we like" I want to see data and proof because I think we are being stooged and the preseason is a waste of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    And Rugby League isn't? Rugby League plays virtually the whole year round.

I'd like to see some actual research that tells us that (or explains why) AFL footballers have to train 7 months of the year to prepare for a 22 plus finals season? And I'd want a better answer than either "it's because we have always done it like that" or "mind your own business we wiil do whatever we like" I want to see data and proof because I think we are being stooged and the preseason is a waste of time.
    Rugby league is on a smaller ground and the athleticism is well under what AFL players need, they get to stop and stand still for probably 50% of a game. The two players who crossed over to AFL took two years to change the body shape and get a bigger tank, they are basically all brick walls.
    I'm not demeaning other sports but I read somewhere that AFL asks the most of a body in all different aspects than any other sport.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

AFL far more taxing. Soccer & basketball have far longer seasons and more regular games but don't take the same toll
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    AFL far more taxing. Soccer & basketball have far longer seasons and more regular games but don't take the same toll
    Rugby players don't run the distances AFL players do but it's a more physical game. They spend more of the game running forward, short sharp bursts compared to an endurance game.

They players are also seeking 2 breaks during the season.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Rugby players don't run the distances AFL players do but it's a more physical game. They spend more of the game running forward, short sharp bursts compared to an endurance game.

They players are also seeking 2 breaks during the season.
    Its also worth remembering that players selected for Origin and international duties don't play for their clubs the previous week.

I've seen videos of Americans watching Aussie Rules for the first time and the lines you always seem to hear are "OMG how big is that field?", followed by "they don't wear no pads? Man these guys are tough" and "so everyone has to be able to kick the ball? These guys got some skill".

I can't help TD with the science but comparisons to Rugby League are flawed IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the length of the game and the ground covered is rather unique in the AFL as far as I can tell. Is there a sport that would have you run further than an elite AFL midfielder (baring say cricket where it's over the course of a day)?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Yeah the length of the game and the ground covered is rather unique in the AFL as far as I can tell. Is there a sport that would have you run further than an elite AFL midfielder (baring say cricket where it's over the course of a day)?

Marathon running?

Post Thanks / Like

Marathon running?
    I'd pay good money to watch a marathon runner kick a ball 20 times and get tacked to the ground 5 times during a race.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I'd pay good money to watch a marathon runner kick a ball 20 times and get tacked to the ground 5 times during a race.
    That would be a popular spectator sport. And bounce the ball. Everytime it bounced away you go back to the start.

Post Thanks / Like

That would be a popular spectator sport. And bounce the ball. Everytime it bounced away you go back to the start.
    You guys make me laugh.