Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brian Royal

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brian Royal

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    He does call footy - for Crocmedia.
    I was thinking more TV side
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I was thinking more TV side
    He has a good head for radio I guess. I'm mystified as to why he isn't more prominent. Maybe he isn't showy enough, he only mentions the players and where the ball is going. He really only describes the play he doesn't do any of the entertaining added value stuff like the bloke who texts Brian what the crowd number us before the official announcement, I know it's that sort of thing that keeps me watching the footy broadcast.

He could just be happy calling games and doesn't want all the crap that celebrity brings? I know if I were offered Brian Taylor's life or Brian Donergans's life who I would take. Weekends calling footy and not getting pestered when I'm out sounds about perfect.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

3. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Donegan was always a horse racing man.
    Quality guy
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    He has a good head for radio I guess. I'm mystified as to why he isn't more prominent. Maybe he isn't showy enough, he only mentions the players and where the ball is going. He really only describes the play he doesn't do any of the entertaining added value stuff like the bloke who texts Brian what the crowd number us before the official announcement, I know it's that sort of thing that keeps me watching the footy broadcast.

He could just be happy calling games and doesn't want all the crap that celebrity brings? I know if I were offered Brian Taylor's life or Brian Donergans's life who I would take. Weekends calling footy and not getting pestered when I'm out sounds about perfect.
    That's one too many Brians for this thread!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    That's one too many Brians for this thread!
    I had Brians on the brain.

Post Thanks / Like

"We've got a Brian sir"

"Very well I welease Bwian of Nazaweth!"

8. Likes WBFC4FFC, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Will give this a listen soon.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Tremendous interview
    Class act is Peter Donergan
    Choco was extremely unlucky not to get a coaching gig, and was a victim of applying for to many vacancies.

Post Thanks / Like

They replayed the interview at 11pm Saturday night, lucky for me driving home.
    Have to love Chocko's passion for the club
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

12. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Tremendous interview
    Class act is Peter Donergan
    Choco was extremely unlucky not to get a coaching gig, and was a victim of applying for to many vacancies.
    He's still one of the best skills coaches around. Our guys could do with some tuition from him.

14. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm listening to this now and I am really frustrated. There used to be a saying, "if you want to learn to kick then get Brian Royal to teach you."

Our players can't hit the side of a barn by foot and the best skills coach (who is one of the greatest ex bulldogs champion) in the game is working on building sites. *!*!*!*! that makes me angry.

Post Thanks / Like

Stiff!

Footscray Flashback: No votes for Royal’s commanding game

Imagine Marcus Bontempelli having a day out, even by his lofty standards, and kicking a bag of seven goals to go along with 30 possessions, more than any other player on the ground.

If it came as part of a big Bulldogs win, you would expect the Bont to go close to receiving the full 10 coaches votes.

And you would almost guarantee that he would receive three Brownlow Medal votes.

Rewind 33 years, though, and things weren't quite the same. On this day in 1986, 24-year-old Bulldog Brian Royal did exactly that.

As a rover switching occasionally onto the forward line, 'Choco' collected 30 touches in his 81st game, and kicked seven majors, a career high.

Sound like a best-on-ground performance? Well the umpires of the day, Well the umpires of the day, John Russo and Mike Sneddon, didn't quite see it that way. Royal's seven-goal, 30-touch performance wasn't enough to warrant a single vote from them.

So just who did get their votes? Former Bomber big Max Crow earned a vote for kicking four goals from a forward pocket, which went with his work as a back-up ruckman to Andrew Purser.

Two votes went to Dancin' Doug Hawkins, who displayed his typical mastery of the Western Oval outer wing, gathering 29 possessions and kicking a goal.

And the three votes went to skipper Rick Kennedy. That's right — the full back got three Brownlow votes. In today's midfielder-dominated world, full backs could only dream of collecting maximum votes from the umpires.

The umpires' votes were a reflection of the time. In Monday's Age after the game, Patrick Smithers' votes were very much in accord with those of the men in white.

He gave Hawkins his best-on-ground vote, followed by Crow and Kennedy. He did, though, manage to sneak Royal in as the fourth-best player on the ground.

Very much a team-first player, Brian Royal would no doubt have not complained at all about how the umpires saw his performance come Brownlow Medal night.

But it's hard to look back 33 years on and think the Bulldogs' number 33 was just a little unlucky not to get the three Brownlow votes.

17. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Stiff again!

HOW SELECTION BLUNDER LEFT FORMER DOG STRANDED ON 199 GAMES

AFL Hall of Famer Terry Wallace has recalled how former Footscray rover Brian Royal was left stranded on 199 games.

Royal, a dual All-Australian and Charlie Sutton Medallist, called time on his VFL/AFL career in 1993 after a nasty Achilles injury left him one game short of magic 200-mark.

But speaking on SEN’s KB and The Doc, Wallace revealed a selection oversight cost Royal the chance to notch his 200th game for the Bulldogs.

“Brian Royal finished on 199 games, got dropped, and no one realised at the club that he was on 199,” Wallace said.

“He was going to play in his 200th, the side was selected, and he rang the coach (Terry Wheeler), and the coach apologised; said he had no idea.

“They said: ‘We will play you next week’ … he did his Achilles in the reserves and never got the opportunity.”

Following his retirement, Royal moved into coaching and enjoyed assistant roles at Melbourne, St Kilda, Richmond and the Dogs.

He was inducted into the Footscray-Western Bulldogs' Hall of Fame in 2012.

19. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post