Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  29
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Round 1 side

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 1 side

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    That's ok if you play to your strengths, but our incessant need to bomb the ball forward doesn't suit our personnel at all.

I would rather we kick it along the ground to space than long and direct to the 'hot spot'.
    Now you're going to get TD saying MAD BALL strategy should be a thing......good work....*

*I genuinely hand't scrolled down when I posted.......
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Richmond had Jack Riewoldt who is one of the best KPFs in the competition and is arguably the best KPF in the comp for applying defensive pressure. Teams will always need that get out kick on a slow F50 entry - right now it seems Trengove & Roughy will tandem the role.
    The way people carry on, it's like they won a flag with a 182cm Brad Johnson at FF.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd put Trengove back this week, and play Cordy forward with Wood.

Cordy only 18 months ago proved he can compete against GWS defenders and kick a few, Trengove can play on the bigger players.

4. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can’t remember a tougher opening round to select our side against a top side interstate with so many of our players unavailable in key positions.

I’ll give it a go.

B: Crozier, Cordy, Biggs
    HB: Suckling, Trengove, Naughton
    C: Hunter, MaCrae, Johannisen
    HF: McLean, Bontempelli, Daniel
    F: Dahlhaus, Wood, Dale
    R: Roughead, Jong, Libba
    I: Dickson, Williams, Dunkley, Smith
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Btw is there any consideration given to who GWS have in defence?

This is likely what they are running with:
    B: N. Haynes, P. Davis, H. Shaw
    HB: L. Whitfield, A. Corr, A. Tomlinson
    J. Finlayson off the bench.

That is two more traditional key defenders in Corr and Davis, 2 more mobile talls in Finlayson and Tomlinson, one Easton Wood type in Haynes, one genuinely good user in Whitfield and the wild card in Shaw. I believe the only fit smaller defenders they have in reserve are guys like 3 gamer Perryman.

So why would we try to force someone like Boyd or Schache into a side so that it validates and assists the height of their backline.

Surely the game plan must be to play smalls, kick to space or along the ground, swarm the ball and apply heaps of defensive pressure on a top heavy backline. Dunkley will play as a key tall and his role will be to bring the ball to ground, Trengove is our only realistic high ball target, the rest are just to make their tall defenders struggle. Boyd or Schache just means that one of their defenders gets to feel comfortable again as they are playing on a mediocre version of the player they usually take.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

7. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whitfield needs a tag if he plays half back.
    What should I tell her? She's going to ask.

9. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Btw is there any consideration given to who GWS have in defence?

This is likely what they are running with:
    B: N. Haynes, P. Davis, H. Shaw
    HB: L. Whitfield, A. Corr, A. Tomlinson
    J. Finlayson off the bench.

That is two more traditional key defenders in Corr and Davis, 2 more mobile talls in Finlayson and Tomlinson, one Easton Wood type in Haynes, one genuinely good user in Whitfield and the wild card in Shaw. I believe the only fit smaller defenders they have in reserve are guys like 3 gamer Perryman.

So why would we try to force someone like Boyd or Schache into a side so that it validates and assists the height of their backline.

Surely the game plan must be to play smalls, kick to space or along the ground, swarm the ball and apply heaps of defensive pressure on a top heavy backline. Dunkley will play as a key tall and his role will be to bring the ball to ground, Trengove is our only realistic high ball target, the rest are just to make their tall defenders struggle. Boyd or Schache just means that one of their defenders gets to feel comfortable again as they are playing on a mediocre version of the player they usually take.
    That’s why I want Cordy there instead of Trengove. Once it’s on the deck or on the way out he is superior.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Can’t remember a tougher opening round to select our side against a top side interstate with so many of our players unavailable in key positions.

I’ll give it a go.

Which Smith is that? Clay isn't right and I can't see Roarke getting a gig.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post

I’ll give it a go.

I can't see how Smith plays given the weeks missed with knee soreness... Dickson is also underdone.

That forwardline won't be able to compete in the air at all so I think English plays and we have Roughy & Trengove play forward or back.

Post Thanks / Like

Rough and ready: Big Bulldog set to play

Bulldogs ruckman Jordan Roughead has overcome a hip injury and will be available for the Western Bulldogs' clash with Greater Western Sydney in Canberra on Sunday, says coach Luke Beveridge.

The 27-year-old fell awkwardly on the cricket pitch area of Moe's Ted Summerton Oval during the JLT Community Series match with Collingwood on March 10.

He was immediately taken from the field, but returned a short time later before finally conceding to the injury.

Beveridge told AFL.com.au Roughead had recovered well from the knock and trained at "100 per cent" on Monday.

With the Dogs already missing important trio Liam Picken (concussion), Marcus Adams (ankle) and Dale Morris (knee), the availability of Roughead is a major fillip.

"We think Jordan will be OK, he trained strongly (on Monday), so he'll be available this week," Beveridge said.

"He just twisted his hip a little bit and had to come off, we then put him back on, but that's settled down now."

In further good news for the club's big-man department, second-year ruckman Tim English has had a strong pre-season and will be considered for the clash against the Giants.

Taken with pick 19 in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft, the West Australian has a rare mix of contested marking and clean hands below his knees for a player of 206cm.

After two encouraging games last season, English has added plenty of bulk to his slender frame and Beveridge is optimistic the 20-year-old can be a regular for the Dogs in 2018.

The Dogs have strong competition for spots in the ruck position, with English vying with Roughead, Tom Campbell and versatile big men Tom Boyd and Josh Schache for what's likely to be two spots in the side.

"Tim is a chance to come into the side this week, so my philosophy is why not find out (whether he's ready) than be totally sure and wait three years to find out," Beveridge said.

"He'll get a run at (senior football) because he's shown here playing and training against his teammates that he is more than competitive and very influential.

"We weren't sure how quickly he'd come on, but he's more than 100kg now, and at 206cm, his teammates have never had anyone who can play against opponents five or six centimetres shorter than him.

"For such a big guy, he's really agile and very clean below his knees.

"He's also a threat (aerially), so teams will have to grab him going for his marks, and he'll get a free kick or two from that."

14. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjp View Post
    Whitfield needs a tag if he plays half back.
    He is also very quick, so may be hard to hold him down.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually don't hate picking English here - he can be competitive with Lobb (who's really more of a finesse ruck than a brute) and Simpson (who is a disgrace).
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I actually don't hate picking English here - he can be competitive with Lobb (who's really more of a finesse ruck than a brute) and Simpson (who is a disgrace).
    Is Lobb even likely to play? Didn't played a JLT game so a big call to play him fresh/underdone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Is Lobb even likely to play? Didn't played a JLT game so a big call to play him fresh/underdone.
    He played a NEAFL practice and everything I've read says that he definitely could be picked. Think he's in the same boat as Naitanui.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    He played a NEAFL practice and everything I've read says that he definitely could be picked. Think he's in the same boat as Naitanui.
    Mumford (now the Giants ruck coach) indicated that it's neck and neck between Lobb and Simpson.
    If Lobb is picked they'll want some decent ruck support as I assume he'd be on reduced minutes in the centre.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers