Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  29
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: Round 1 side

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 1 side

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Moyd only played one or two games last year and Adams was injured the majority of the season. Morris also missed a big chunk.

We do have a very young backline, but also one of the tallest we have had for a long time - not sure if that helps.
    Good points. I'm very nervous about our backline but your correct, we have had to weather the storm all last year with key defenders missing. I would just be a lot more comfortable if Wood and Trengrove were listed as playing in defence and not forward. You'd like to think that they will move to defence if needed.
    Beveridge has always liked to put faith in players that you wouldn't think might have deserved a game at that time, e.g. Ayce Cordy Webb, Williams, Dale. Some work, some don't.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

I think i get the thinking behind the lineup.

The backline is fine. The inclusion of Roberts neans Trengive can stay forward the whole match. If there's one thing we havent done under Beveridge it's go in with an overly tall defence.

As for the Honeychurch, Gowers and English selections. I think we have clearly gone with a purposely small and cknbative forwardline. It's meant to be rainy and stormy tomorrow, and Gws have a very tall defence. I think the idea is to bring the ball to ground and put pressure on Gws as muc as possibke. Maketheir tall defence feel as uncomfortable as possible.

Considering we worked hard to manufacture a spot for Honeychurch last year its no surprise we are keen to use him, likewise with Gowers who the coaching staff were obviously keen to list.

As for English, i guess he allows us to have a tall in our forwardline at all times. I'm not sure he is a better option than Jong, Dickson and definitely Daniel, but clearky thr coahing staff love him and will play him at any opportunity that presents itself.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

3. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post

The backline is fine. The inclusion of Roberts neans Trengive can stay forward the whole match. If there's one thing we havent done under Beveridge it's go in with an overly tall defence.

As for the Honeychurch, Gowers and English selections. I think we have clearly gone with a purposely small and cknbative forwardline. It's meant to be rainy and stormy tomorrow, and Gws have a very tall defence. I think the idea is to bring the ball to ground and put pressure on Gws as muc as possibke. Maketheir tall defence feel as uncomfortable as possible.

Considering we worked hard to manufacture a spot for Honeychurch last year its no surprise we are keen to use him, likewise with Gowers who the coaching staff were obviously keen to list.

As for English, i guess he allows us to have a tall in our forwardline at all times. I'm not sure he is a better option than Jong, Dickson and definitely Daniel, but clearky thr coahing staff love him and will play him at any opportunity that presents itself.
    I have always been under the impression GWS had a short backline? I need to check that out.

Edit, just checked: Phil Davis, Tomlinson and Haynes. 197, 194, 193
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Daniel could be a starter if rain is heavy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I have always been under the impression GWS had a short backline? I need to check that out.

Edit, just checked: Phil Davis, Tomlinson and Haynes. 197, 194, 193
    Plus Corr and Finlayson
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

No late changes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post

'Fine' is a very interesting word to use for this backline.

I pray you're right.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Who is number 4 for us.......the man who who should never be mentioned?
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Who is number 4 for us.......the man who who should never be mentioned?
    He was utterly shithouse today - worst game in his career.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"