Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Dogs skipper ready to lead from the front

Hope Bevo knows what he's doing...

New Dogs skipper ready to lead from the front

WESTERN Bulldogs captain Easton Wood will play forward in the club's opening round clash with Greater Western Sydney and he isn't concerned about the young defence he's leaving behind.

The All Australian defender was told by coach Luke Beveridge at the start of pre-season he needed to become more flexible in his 11th year at Whitten Oval, so the 28-year-old has been preparing since for a role in attack.

While Wood admitted he was "uncertain" how long the experiment will last, his promising form in the JLT Community Series bodes well for a permanent change of scenery.

His predecessor, former Dogs skipper Robert Murphy said this week he believed Wood would be of better service to the team in his customary defensive role.

"I'm walking to the forward line (in round one), and it's a great new challenge for me," Wood told reporters at the AFL's Captains Day on Thursday.

"It's permanent at this stage, but I know I can go back at any stage.

"We all know our coach loves guys having the ability to have a few strings to their bow, so he's challenged me to add one to mine.

"10 years in defence has given me the opportunity to have a front seat to some of the best forward play going around, so I'm hoping to emulate some of that.

"I've been working pretty hard on my (goal) celebrations."

It's a gutsy move by Beveridge, with his side's young backline now set to be minus Wood's elite intercept marking and leadership following the retirements of club greats and defensive playmakers Murphy and Matthew Boyd.

With just 69 games to his name, new recruit Hayden Crozier is the most experienced of a likely defensive group featuring Shane Biggs (56 games) Zaine Cordy (30), Marcus Adams (21) and probable debutant Aaron Naughton.

Utilities Matt Suckling and Jason Johannisen, and former Power big man Jackson Trengove have all been playing further up the ground this pre-season, but the veteran trio could be pushed back if needed.

Beveridge's ability to instil confidence in his charges regardless of their standing has Wood at ease his presence won't be missed.

"One of 'Bevo's' strengths is being able to see the capacity in the (young) boys coming through, even if they don't see it in themselves yet," Wood said.

"He's been able to get our individuals to reach new heights that they probably didn't think they could reach.

"I initially thought that about my own defensive play."

Another reason that's allowed Wood's move forward has been the ability of Naughton to hit the ground running as a professional footballer.

Taken with the No.9 pick in last year's NAB AFL Draft, the West Australian's impressive form across the pre-season is set to see him face the Giants just three months after his 18th birthday.

"He's been wonderful to come in and have an impact straight away at such a young age, and in such a tough position as key back," Wood said.

"I'm sure we'll probably be seeing him round one on the big day."

2. Thanks bornadog, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Dogs skipper ready to lead from the front

I suppose if we bat deep anywhere it's across half back.

I'm loath to question his holiness but JEEZUS Bevo's hard-on for versatility is a frustrating trait at times when you'd just wish he'd let a bloke settle into a role that suits and leave them there.

Wood'll either get dragged back to defence if/when his understudies prove not quite up to it ... or flourish up forward and lend more weight to the Bevo-as-bold-genius narrative.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

While Wood admitted he was "uncertain" how long the experiment will last, his promising form in the JLT Community Series bodes well for a permanent change of scenery.
    I really disagree with this

"I'm sure we'll probably be seeing him round one on the big day."
    Phrasing Easton!
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Let's wait to the season proper before we start judging the forward experiment. The good thing is he can easily slot back to the backline.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post

Phrasing Easton!
    I probably wouldn't describe Wood's 12 total possessions across 2 JLT games as promising.

That last sentence is just nonsense, hope he was misquoted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I probably wouldn't describe Wood's 12 total possessions across 2 JLT games as promising.

That last sentence is just nonsense, hope he was misquoted.
    Have a listen to the interview in the Audio thread
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Comrade Stalin would have approved of revisionism like that.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Easton doesn't strike me as your 60 goal a year forward. However he does strike me as an all Australian defender!!
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah there are lots of players who could spend more time up forward and add something to the team. Not convinced Wood is one of them

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think he will be a typical forward. I see him in a role playing on the opposition’s best intercept marker.

I guess we see Adams and Naughton as our intercept markers down back. If one goes down then we send Wood back.

Post Thanks / Like

If ever there was a time to play your best defender, in defence, its when there is a number new players in the team - and you have Dale Morris out with an injury.

Happy to be proven wrong - but this is madness.

Post Thanks / Like

If ever there was a time to play your best defender, in defence, its when there is a number new players in the team - and you have Dale Morris out with an injury.
    Spot on, Ozza.
    A Moz-free backline is a vulnerable backline.
    Last edited by Insufficient Intent; 16-03-2018 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Screwed up my quote tags

Post Thanks / Like

Much prefer Easton in defence but will see how this forward experiment goes.

He didn't set the word on fire in the JLT series up there.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Much prefer Easton in defence but will see how this forward experiment goes.

He didn't set the word on fire in the JLT series up there.
    I’d swap Wood and Adams around. Wood is a quicker decision maker in defence and his field kicking is far more poised. Adams is equal to Wood up forward. Net gain by swapping them, IMO.

16. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I’d swap Wood and Adams around. Wood is a quicker decision maker in defence and his field kicking is far more poised. Adams is equal to Wood up forward. Net gain by swapping them, IMO.
    Wood can't play on monster forwards though. Adams and Trengove are the only two in the likely round 1 side capable of taking them and Trengove appears to be a forward/ruck at the moment. Naughton will get there in time but isn't physically developed enough yet.