Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  26
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 4, 2018 vs Sydney Swans

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Sam Reid out long term with quad tendon damage - looking at 8 weeks
    Gee, that's a shame.

Swans will probably revert to their first 2 rounds tactics, Buddy mostly the only tall and focal point of the attack.

However, they may bring a dud ruck in or play Towers more in the ruck, and send Sinclair forward more. Roberts on Sinclair? Or if available, bring back Roughead and have him go with Sinclair everywhere he goes?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

What are people's thoughts on Heeney?

He's tough in close, great in the air, pretty quick. Play McLean on him?

Need to cover Parker and Kennedy too.

Post Thanks / Like

Surely Roberts has to come in to play Buddy.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Tough one. Roberts will get killed on the lead and is probably not strong enough one-on-one either.

We'll need to get creative with how to handle Bud this week - maybe let a defensive mid like Honeychurch just sweat on him the whole time he is playing up the ground, and rely on team defence in D50. The key will be to stop the supply going in, so more of the midfield and F50 heat from Sunday will be essential.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

If Roberts comes in I hope he doesn't spend much time on Buddy, he's far too slow and immobile.

How about Hamling? At Freo? Adams then? Injured you say? Well Morris or Cordy should be able to do the job. Injured and suspended? Well I give up.

Seriously though Wood is probably the best available match-up we have. Buddy's overhead marking isn't his greatest strength so someone with pace and agility is required. In reality it will have to be a team defence to keep Buddy's influence to a minimum.

Post Thanks / Like

What about Jong on Buddy? He has the size & mobility to go with him. Its not something he has done before but i can't see who will go to him.

Post Thanks / Like

Double team Wood and Naughton on Buddy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Tough one. Roberts will get killed on the lead and is probably not strong enough one-on-one either.

We'll need to get creative with how to handle Bud this week - maybe let a defensive mid like Honeychurch just sweat on him the whole time he is playing up the ground, and rely on team defence in D50. The key will be to stop the supply going in, so more of the midfield and F50 heat from Sunday will be essential.
    I am not keen on Roberts either, but do you go with 18 year old Naughty, or 19 year old Young?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Sam Reid out long term with quad tendon damage - looking at 8 weeks
    Not a bad result at all he loves playing us.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    If Roberts comes in I hope he doesn't spend much time on Buddy, he's far too slow and immobile.

How about Hamling? At Freo? Adams then? Injured you say? Well Morris or Cordy should be able to do the job. Injured and suspended? Well I give up.

Seriously though Wood is probably the best available match-up we have. Buddy's overhead marking isn't his greatest strength so someone with pace and agility is required. In reality it will have to be a team defence to keep Buddy's influence to a minimum.
    Yeah I think Wood is probably the best match up. Franklin is more a midsized forward in playing style. When he marks it's mostly on the lead, and he kicks a big % of his goals on the run. Adams is probably his best match up, Wood is maybe next.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if Freo would give us back Hamling for the weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    What are people's thoughts on Heeney?

He's tough in close, great in the air, pretty quick. Play McLean on him?

Need to cover Parker and Kennedy too.
    He's a jet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    I do that every night anyway.
    But the laughing group would be different?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd bring Young in over Roberts.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Stop it you're giving me nightmares.

I fear the job's Naughton's by default, particularly if they continue to encourage Buddy to be active betwen wing and half-forward. Christ we're making the kid earn his keep early. Perhaps Wood to contest every aerial ball he can when Buddy goes deep.

Jong tasked with keeping a watchful eye over Kennedy perhaps? We won't stop him but can make life more difficult for him with the added bonus of luring Jong to the ball. I'm still deciding whether that's a good thing or not.

On top of Reid the Swans have lost key defender Melican. If we recall Lewy Young as a swingman he could take spells between tall forward and intercept-marking backman.

Like the idea of McLean on Heeney, McLean won't flinch and will keep Heeney honest, with Wally to give the odd chop out.

All this assumes we retain the same appetite for the contest we had last week or we're buggered.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Stop it you're giving me nightmares.

I fear the job's Naughton's by default, particularly if they continue to encourage Buddy to be active betwen wing and half-forward. Christ we're making the kid earn his keep early. Perhaps Wood to contest every aerial ball he can when Buddy goes deep.

Jong tasked with keeping a watchful eye over Kennedy perhaps? We won't stop him but can make life more difficult for him with the added bonus of luring Jong to the ball. I'm still deciding whether that's a good thing or not.

On top of Reid the Swans have lost key defender Melican. If we recall Lewy Young as a swingman he could take spells between tall forward and intercept-marking backman.

Like the idea of McLean on Heeney, McLean won't flinch and will keep Heeney honest, with Wally to give the odd chop out.

All this assumes we retain the same appetite for the contest we had last week or we're buggered.
    Yeah I think the solution with Buddy revolves around something like you've mentioned. A team approach. I think Naughton can take Buddy outside the 50 and Wood takes him when Buddy is closer to goal. Jong on kennedy could work. if Jongy can keep up and compete with Kennedy it'd be great.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be inclined to run Wally with Kennedy, and HC and McLean with Heeney.

Wood would be my preference for Buddy.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.