Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Defensive Dog says it's time to lead the pack

Link

JUST four years into his AFL career, Zaine Cordy wants the responsibility of replacing Easton Wood as the general of the Bulldogs' inexperienced defence.

With coach Luke Beveridge sending Wood forward in a bid to add more versatility to the captain's game, that move, coupled with the retirements of club greats Robert Murphy and Matthew Boyd, and a long-term injury to veteran Dale Morris, leaves the Dogs' backline with a youthful composition.

Recruit Hayden Crozier (69 games with Fremantle) is the most experienced of a probable defensive group to face Greater Western Sydney in round one, with Shane Biggs (56 games), Cordy (30), Marcus Adams (21) and likely debutant Aaron Naughton all expected to add support.

Utilities Matt Suckling and Jason Johannisen, and former Power big man Jackson Trengove, have all been playing further up the ground in the pre-season, but the veteran trio could be pushed back if needed.

With three completed seasons under his belt, Cordy admits he's put the onus on himself to pick up the slack in Wood's absence.

"I'm not a new face anymore, so it's time to be a leader, use my voice more and be more demanding of my teammates," Cordy told AFL.com.au.

"It (Wood's move forward) was a little bit of a surprise, but he's going pretty well.

"He's an exceptional athlete, and when he gets moving he's pretty hard to stop.

"We're a pretty young backline, but if we stick to team structures, we have huge self-belief we can get it done, even without Dale and Easton down there.

"It will be business as usual."
    With Wood now focusing on kicking goals instead of stopping them, the faith he has in his old backline buddies has helped make his transition from one end of the ground to the other much easier.

The skipper believes Cordy's approach to the game makes him a very valuable member of his side.
    "Zaine's that scragging, rough and aggressive defender that sends a great message to the team, and I love playing next to him," Wood told AFL.com.au.

"I think he definitely can (step up), and that's the challenge to all those boys down there to come out of themselves and lead the team."

Standing at 193cm and 90kg, Cordy has spent his fair share of time punching above his weight manning monster forwards like Joe Daniher, Tom Lynch and Charlie Dixon.

With the imposing Marcus Adams fully fit after two injury-riddled seasons, it will allow the 21-year-old to fight in his own weight division.

The duo has been ably assisted by Naughton during the JLT Community Series, with the key defensive prospect impressing with his ability to match it with more seasoned opponents.

"Marcus is a very nice specimen and a fairly big guy, so it's great he's been able to get his body right," Cordy said.

"He'll be able to take bigger forwards, and I'll be the third tall defender.

"And Aaron has been quite exceptional for an 18-year-old straight out of school, so I'm excited to see what he can do this year."

Relieved of the task of slaying the giants, Cordy has turned his attention to fine-tuning his ability to turn defence into attack – a weapon that made Wood one of the competition's best intercept defenders and an All Australian.

"One of my focus points going into the pre-season was increasing the amount of intercept and contested marks I take in a game," Cordy said.

"When you're playing on good opponents, you can't be caught ball-watching or be a split-second off, because you'll get done out the back.

"Being able to use both feet is one of 'Bevo's' mantras, and we practice it every day, so confidence comes with time.

"It's starting to pay dividends."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Twodogs, Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Defensive Dog says it's time to lead the pack

Shame that Adams is now out with an ankle.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    Shame that Adams is now out with an ankle.
    So frustrating again!

Really was keen to see Marcus out there.

We will soldier on and get stuck into a new season hopefully getting off to a flyer and maintaining that so we can have the best possible chance to finish top 4.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

5. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We still have a few options, Roberts and Young are options, moving Wood to the backline and of course Trengove although with Roughead in doubt that might be an issue. Naughton as our first pick last year is now a bonus for us.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"