Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  12
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Raging Against The Machine- The Season Opener and all that is wrong in the AFL world

I wouldn't want to see the season become shorter than 22 matches.

We have had a fixture where you play some teams twice and some teams once since the Bears and Eagles came in 31 years ago. The measures now where the teams you play twice come from each of the 3 groups (top 6, middle 6, bottom 6) isn't perfect, but it brings an element of fairness and transparency.

As I said, its not perfect - but I don't want to season to be shorter than 22 games (it has been a 22 game season for nearly 50 years now). The 25 weeks without mens AFL footy is too long as it is!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Raging Against The Machine- The Season Opener and all that is wrong in the AFL world

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    As I said, its not perfect - but I don't want to season to be shorter than 22 games (it has been a 22 game season for nearly 50 years now). The 25 weeks without mens AFL footy is too long as it is!!!
    It was a 20 game season in 1993. Also because we've had fixture inequities since 1987 doesn't make it right that we continue. And the grouping/seeding of teams in a previous year actually has nothing to do with the following season and how strong/weak some clubs might be.

20 teams, 19 rounds, 10 in the finals (therefore 1 or 2 extra weeks of finals footy - so the actual season length factoring in bye rounds might actually not be any shorter). I reckon shortening the H&A by 3 rounds would be a relief for the poor performing clubs and their supporters.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

3. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Everybody plays each other twice is the only solution. We come up with new ways of doing things (clutches of matches, matches in non AFL areas, cut down on preseason training (players will get fit enough playing) and get rid of the preseason.

It's the only way and eventually that's what we will decide. Nothing surer, all the other ideas, while good, does nothing address the basic inequality of a compromised draw.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

5. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Everybody plays each other twice is the only solution. We come up with new ways of doing things (clutches of matches, matches in non AFL areas, cut down on preseason training (players will get fit enough playing) and get rid of the preseason.
    Imagine being a Norf, Gold Coast, Brisbane or Carlton supporter last year and having to endure another 12 weeks of the season. Easier to add 2 teams (one of them in Tassie), drop 3 games to get virtually the same fairness.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    It was a 20 game season in 1993. Also because we've had fixture inequities since 1987 doesn't make it right that we continue. And the grouping/seeding of teams in a previous year actually has nothing to do with the following season and how strong/weak some clubs might be.

20 teams, 19 rounds, 10 in the finals (therefore 1 or 2 extra weeks of finals footy - so the actual season length factoring in bye rounds might actually not be any shorter). I reckon shortening the H&A by 3 rounds would be a relief for the poor performing clubs and their supporters.
    I like this. Put a team in Tassie (FFS just do it already AFL) and maybe one in the NT (or Canberra?) and you've got coverage pretty much everywhere you need it in the country. Try to make travel as equal as possible (eg if you play WCE in Perth you play Freo at home) and you've got a fair competition on paper. Still have to sort out the finance/exposure inequalities but it's a start nonetheless.

8. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, one season of 20 games in the last 30 - but doesn't really change the argument - in that season, teams still played 6 teams twice.

2 brand new teams is an enormous move and a bigger discussion. We already have 2 teams that are barely settled in, and costing the sport an absolute fortune every season. It is already questionable whether 2 teams in Sydney is ultimately sustainable, and its probably questionable whether any teams in Queensland are. In any case, its a huge change - and I don't think you just bring in new clubs to solve a perceived issue. If the future is that we have 20 teams and fixturing is smoothed out as a result, then great.

In the meantime - playing every team once makes the home and away season 5 rounds shorter - which I think is unacceptable.

The other element for me, that seems to be missed - is that footy should be mostly about fun and entertainment. I'd rather see my team (and all teams) play a minimum of 22 games, than 17 or 19 times. The fixture has an element of swings and roundabouts - maybe the Gold Coast become a gun side this year and you don't want to play them twice, maybe they are rubbish and its a plus. Maybe in a 17 game season - you have to play West Coast in Perth and they are a powerhouse, maybe they are a bad side, can't work out how to play at Optus Stadium and its an advantage to play them there, rather than being fixture to play Freo.

Reality is, if you're good enough - you make finals. And if you're good enough in finals, you will the whole thing. I suspect the players are a lot less worried about the fixture than the supporters.

Post Thanks / Like

It's annoying because we instantly lost our only marquee match for Good Friday because of poor turnout even though the bulk of the blame should always go towards the home team (which was North) while the rich clubs only get richer.

Essendon has ANZAC Day and Dreamtime at the G

Collingwood has ANZAC Day and Queen's Birthday

Richmond has the season opener and Dreamtime at the G

Cats & Hawks have Easter Monday

Demons have Queen's Birthday

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    It's annoying because we instantly lost our only marquee match for Good Friday because of poor turnout even though the bulk of the blame should always go towards the home team (which was North) while the rich clubs only get richer.

Essendon has ANZAC Day and Dreamtime at the G

Collingwood has ANZAC Day and Queen's Birthday

Richmond has the season opener and Dreamtime at the G

Cats & Hawks have Easter Monday

Demons have Queen's Birthday
    I though the turnout wasn't too bad with 44,000 plus there on the night. Yes should have been closer to 50k, but it was Easter, and lots of people go away.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Losing the game on Good Friday was the point at which I decided to give up on grappling with the consistent inconsistencies trotted out by the AFL to explain all of their policy.

There's no point because there is an explanation for anything, no matter how backward it might seem when juxtaposed with the very last piece of communication on the same issue given by the AFL.

Footy is a monopoly and any idiot can run it, so cogency and transparency don't matter. It's why preposterous projects like ham-fisted expansion into footballing wastelands can occur while footy heartlands like Tassie get left to starve and die, or areas of legitimate growth like women's football can be presented so half-baked.

None of it matters, because the game will continue to rake in dollars because it's the best game in the world and pretty much heroin to the majority of Victorian sports fans. And as long as it makes money, then those lucky enough to fall upwards into positions of power can continue justify all of their stupid decisions and their ridiculous salaries.

Seriously, it's selling football to people who love football. Any idiot can do it.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

13. Likes bornadog, Sedat, jeemak, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Imagine being a Norf, Gold Coast, Brisbane or Carlton supporter last year and having to endure another 12 weeks of the season. Easier to add 2 teams (one of them in Tassie), drop 3 games to get virtually the same fairness.

I'm not averse to that idea either. I've got a romantic attachment to the idea of H & A but I guess everyone playing one another once is still fair.

We must address inequities in the competitions draw. It has to be fair and equitable or what you are running is an expo or exhibition not a competition. It's effectively a tournament we run every year with some of the competitors having weighted draws which advantage them (like seeds in tennis) while other competitors are primarily there to make up the numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

This is going to be a Nostradamus like call:

When Tom Boyd goes forward he is going to be grappled and held out of every contest and he will be lucky to get a single free.

I think when this happens (and it will) we as a club have to finally say enough is enough. We need to make a monster edit of the last 20 games he has played and every contest where he has tried to lead up at the ball or has been under a long, high one with a defender. Forward it to the umpires department asking for clarification and, if nothing happens, leak it to the media.

If Riewoldt or Buddy got the same treatment they would kick 10 goals from free kicks every week. Defenders know which players than can get away with it for.

16. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The MRP has never been settled, causes confusion and annoyance every year.
    They have to start just leaving the rules alone. No other game keeps fiddling with core rules and the insecurity is hugely annoying.
    Endorsing Damien Barrett's one sided views through the AFL website.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

The AFL will be thrilled with the fantastically exciting match that North and St Kilda put on. I suppose that will be our fault too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The AFL will be thrilled with the fantastically exciting match that North and St Kilda put on. I suppose that will be our fault too.
    I look forward to it being Carlton vs Melbourne next year and the AFEL claiming they gave the smaller clubs a chance but they couldn't make it their own. Then after a poor first year turn out being told it takes time to build but those two clubs will get there.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    I look forward to it being Carlton vs Melbourne next year and the AFEL claiming they gave the smaller clubs a chance but they couldn't make it their own. Then after a poor first year turn out being told it takes time to build but those two clubs will get there.
    I like your line of sceptical prediction GS. That's a fairly good chance of happening with that exact explanation. "OK so only 15 000 people turned up but Melbourne and Carlton have only played Good Friday three times and Rome wasn't built in a day after all. We are confident that with changing a few things around we expect a crowd of 45 000 at the Melbourne v Carlton Good Friday match next year"