Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  53
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Jack Macrae

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jack Macrae

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Imperial View Post
    I was only 11-12 years old and it was the first full season of games that I had ever witnessed. Even taking those things into account it was easily the best season I have ever seen from a Bulldogs player.
    I think it's the best I've seen from any player. He was incredible. We didn't have 'show and tell' at my school, we had 'how good was Kelvin on Saturday?'

He won a Brownlow medal playing centre half forward when it was THE position on the ground. Every attack went through him, he'd start moving when the full back was looking for somebody to kick it to and run up to the wing to provide an option. And down to the pocket to draw opponents away from his teammates. He was a 22 year old captain of a team that won 5 games learning to play a new position that was the most draining and important position on the ground under a first year coach. Who happened to be one of the best exponents of the position himself! He played the position so well that he won the Brownlow.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

2. Likes Prince Imperial liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wish I had seen KT play. Only seen the occasional highlight. Great to hear about woof recollections. Let’s hope a few of our current brigade - here’s looking at you Bonti, Jacko and Toby - also become the stuff bulldog legends are made of.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Wish I had seen KT play. Only seen the occasional highlight. Great to hear about woof recollections. Let’s hope a few of our current brigade - here’s looking at you Bonti, Jacko and Toby - also become the stuff bulldog legends are made of.

There's quite a lot on YouTube but it doesn't do him justice. You don't see him shake off four defenders by the time the camera gets there to film him taking a mark on his chest all by himself.

5. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My all time champs growing up were Ray Huppatz, Geoff Jennings, Kelvin Templeton,Doug Hawkins,Chris Grant and the Bont now, but Macrae definitley in my sights since he came to the club , one of those quiet accumulators that no one notices, can't believe the media has taken so long to notice , he was breaking records from the moment he played AFL.
    Sadly the media have favourites and no matter what others do they are ignored, as an example SHeahen still had NIc Nat in his top 50 this year and he hadn't played a game for pretty much two years.
    The way Macavaney goes on you would think Carey will win the Brownlow this year.
    When will the media start judging players anew each season ?
    Bring back the biff

7. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    My all time champs growing up were Ray Huppatz, Geoff Jennings, Kelvin Templeton,Doug Hawkins,Chris Grant and the Bont now, but Macrae definitley in my sights since he came to the club , one of those quiet accumulators that no one notices, can't believe the media has taken so long to notice , he was breaking records from the moment he played AFL.
    Sadly the media have favourites and no matter what others do they are ignored, as an example SHeahen still had NIc Nat in his top 50 this year and he hadn't played a game for pretty much two years.
    The way Macavaney goes on you would think Carey will win the Brownlow this year.
    You'd think with more media reporting footy that there would be more opinion and the boys club would be broken up a bit. You'd think there would be better analysis of games and a kid walking into a team and racking up 30+ touches each week would prompt a bit of comment apart from the "this Jack Macrae I'd alright" whenever he gets 40+. You'd think the other kid who really sank the money shot on prelim final night to finally sink the monkey that had been in our back for decades would rate a mention. But it's just turned into (to quote Mark Latham) a conga line of suck holes.

Jack is getting the credit he has always deserved now anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    You'd think with more media reporting footy that there would be more opinion and the boys club would be broken up a bit. You'd think there would be better analysis of games and a kid walking into a team and racking up 30+ touches each week would prompt a bit of comment apart from the "this Jack Macrae I'd alright" whenever he gets 40+. You'd think the other kid who really sank the money shot on prelim final night to finally sink the monkey that had been in our back for decades would rate a mention. But it's just turned into (to quote Mark Latham) a conga line of suck holes.

Jack is getting the credit he has always deserved now anyway.
    Its a reasonable point, that Macrae is only getting the media exposure now is fairly strange given that he has done things that should put him on the radar in a big way;

- A number 6 draft pick.
    - Has gotten huge numbers ever since he entered the league (ranked 4th of all current players for career disposals average/ ranked 7th of all time for disposals average)
    - Youngest player to get 40 possessions in a game
    - Had 39 possessions in the Hawthorn final - including 16 in the third quarter where the damage was done.
    - Kicked the winning goal in the prelim!
    - Had 33 possessions and 10 score involvements in a grand final - and was in some people's eyes, the best player on the ground.
    Last edited by Ozza; 23-05-2018 at 03:50 PM.

10. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Its a reasonable point, that Macrae is only getting the media exposure now, is fairly strange given that he has done thinks that should put him on the radar in a big way;

- A number 6 draft pick.
    - Has gotten huge numbers ever since he entered the league (ranked 4th of all current players for career disposals average/ ranked 7th of all time for disposals average)
    - Youngest player to get 40 possessions in a game
    - Had 39 possessions in the Hawthorn final - including 16 in the third quarter where the damage was done.
    - Kicked the winning goal in the prelim!
    - Had 33 possessions and 10 score involvements in a grand final - and was in some people's eyes, the best player on the ground.
    That is some record
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Yeah I agree ledge. The media certainly have their favourites. Jack Macrae definitely has flown under the radar for a while but at least now he is getting the recognition he deserves. Yes Jack is one of those quiet accumulators
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    That is some record
    Pretty impressive career so far.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Me too. I would have loved the day he kicked 13 goals at the Western Oval in 1978. That was 11 years before I was born.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Me too. I would have loved the day he kicked 13 goals at the Western Oval in 1978. That was 11 years before I was born.
    actually 15 goals 9 behinds
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

16. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    actually 15 goals 9 behinds
    Amazing stuff! You wont see that very often these days.

Post Thanks / Like

We'd be more than happy with 15.9 from the entire team most weeks....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Interesting that Macrae didn't get coaches votes, or votes on fox footy and a number of the tv/radio. However, he got 3 votes in the Herald Sun. Will be an interesting one on brownlow night - as the difference between him polling up to three, or possibly nil, in that game might have a say in whether he wins it.

In any case, we're going to need to win enough games to give him a chance.
    The AFL's Brownlow Predictor interestingly gave Jack the 3 Votes this round. They now have him on 11 votes, joint 2nd with Cripps and trailling Fyfe, 15.

The AFL Coaches have the 3 leading players (different scoring system) as Fyfe, Gawn and Darling, with Macrae and Mitchell equal 4th.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Amazing stuff! You wont see that very often these days.
    You didn't see it very often back then either.